MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 5, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,711 of 2,891
Isolation would be dependent on the seal that one is able to achieve with the in ear as well as the phones. I for one have a terrible time obtaining a good seal with any in ear and ciems create another issue, I am constantly trying to equalize the pressure by yawning.

Isolation aside I am curious on which sound you all prefer.

honestly I use the W60 a lot, especially when I go to sleep, put on some Buddhist chant and doozzzeeee off.... I cant say which I like best, because I like them all equally.... maybe the T1 sound sig a little bit more because its really natural and open, however there are those days where I dont want to be bother by ambient noise, the Prime goes on my head and of course at night time when I sleep I wear the W60.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,712 of 2,891
Tuning dots fig. 17=more intimate feeling..no? 

Thats how i would describe it,being tone-deaf that i am.I kinda sense the vocals is much closer to me now,without sacrificing much of soundstage.It still about my shoulder wide(if that make sense) where with my previous tuning,it extends (fig 32) a lil wider,a little further.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,713 of 2,891
  Tuning dots fig. 17=more intimate feeling..no? 

Thats how i would describe it,being tone-deaf that i am.I kinda sense the vocals is much closer to me now,without sacrificing much of soundstage.It still about my shoulder wide(if that make sense) where with my previous tuning,it extends (fig 32) a lil wider,a little further.

I am not good at all at describing these things (funny because I write for a living), but to me it feels somewhat warmer and more colourful (not "warmer" as in "bass-heavy," so maybe "intimate" would work too). And the instrument separation feels balanced a little different. 

But, again, although I have a very distinct idea in my head of the difference between the two sounds, I really can't articulate it. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,714 of 2,891
So I didn't even know until browsing this thread that the T50RP was discontinued and there will be no more Alphas... I hope MrSpeakers is keeping enough parts around for repairs if need be. It seems like there will one day be closed variants of the Ether up-and-down the price scale. Hopefully they will match the SQ and isolation of the Alpha Prime.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,715 of 2,891
So I didn't even know until browsing this thread that the T50RP was discontinued and there will be no more Alphas... I hope MrSpeakers is keeping enough parts around for repairs if need be. It seems like there will one day be closed variants of the Ether up-and-down the price scale. Hopefully they will match the SQ and isolation of the Alpha Prime.

Being his reputation of quality and customer satisfaction, not to mention attention to detail I doubt he would make an inferior product without a significantly lower price.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,716 of 2,891
  So I didn't even know until browsing this thread that the T50RP was discontinued and there will be no more Alphas... I hope MrSpeakers is keeping enough parts around for repairs if need be. 

Of course...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,717 of 2,891
received my alpha primes today and thus far very impressed....isolation which is important to me is the best i have heard as of yet from any over the ear headphone....have listened to Fostex -900 which is a great sounding headphone but literally no isolation almost like having nothing on your ears at all......Audeze LCD-xc which is great sounding and has some isolation........I notice that the primes require more power than the other 2 headphones,i can listen to most of my music using my Chord Hugo with them and rarely need to go louder than the red while i needed to go to the next color in order to listen to the primes.I find the primes very smooth sounding,very easy to listen to and very enjoyable.At the sale price I think they are a great earphone.....for those who were discussing it,the prime while outstanding in terms of isolation for an over the ear headphone,it cannot compete with the likes of the Shure 846 or westone IEM's they simply remove the outside world and will always be my choice when traveling on a plane etc...

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,719 of 2,891
846's are outstanding IEM's but the primes are better if you are in your living room or a similar quiet spot....they are more spacious and to my ears less fatiguing...that said the 846's are outstanding and are a godsend when i travel or when I need better isolation

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,720 of 2,891

Yup.  Just remember to let the tubes burn in for 2 days before you judge them.  Old tubes need time to clear the vacuum.

I'm wondering if you could explain "clear the vacuum" with old tubes and why this is important to happen before you judge old tubes?  I've just installed a pair of Bugle Boy tubes in my Lyr2, and am having a first listen (about 30 mins in).  Is it a quantifiable difference I'll notice?

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,721 of 2,891
I just had the best ever experience with Mrspeaker.

A month ago I got myself a pair of alpha primes 2nd hand from a guy in Poland.

After about 14 days I found myself with time to really listen to these wonderful headphones. And that's when I noticed a clicking sound like something was loose when the headphone was playing heavy sub bass music. After a few emails and a phone call to dan he emailed me a FedEx label right away so he could take a look at them. FedEx came at my doorstep to pick them up and that's a new for me here in Denmark.
After 5 days they were ready to be sent back after repair and I now sit with them and can enjoy thise perfect headphones again :)

This is just outstanding customer service and I thank dan and Mrspeaker for this great headphone

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,722 of 2,891

I'm wondering if you could explain "clear the vacuum" with old tubes and why this is important to happen before you judge old tubes?  I've just installed a pair of Bugle Boy tubes in my Lyr2, and am having a first listen (about 30 mins in).  Is it a quantifiable difference I'll notice?

Tubes can sit around for 40 or more years.  If they've not been used they can still have residual gas from manufacturing, and possibly other contaminants, but once the tube is powered up these are collected on the charged parts and the vacuum is cleaned up.  What I hear with my Cavalli is less noise, better dynamics, greater clarity, and the soundstage and inner details open up.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,723 of 2,891
Dear those who is going to SF Head Fi meet,can you guys please bring along your Primes and pair it with Cavalli Audio's portable amp.IIRC, there was some positive review about how it drives Ether,but don't remember Prime mentioned.Thanks in advance guy.Yes,I have 3 portable amps already, but i want one that is USB-chargable with micro-USB tip.the AHA120 IS mini-USB.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,724 of 2,891
  Dear those who is going to SF Head Fi meet,can you guys please bring along your Primes and pair it with Cavalli Audio's portable amp.IIRC, there was some positive review about how it drives Ether,but don't remember Prime mentioned.Thanks in advance guy.Yes,I have 3 portable amps already, but i want one that is USB-chargable with micro-USB tip.the AHA120 IS mini-USB.

I paired my primes with ithe Liquid Carbon at the mini-meet back in March.  It sounded really good.  The LC was @jude's demo unit.  I was like a kid, practically plucking jude's sleeve - "wow, this is great, have you heard this with the Primes?" Jude calmly sort of giggled at me, and said something to the effect of "yeah, I have those." (all very good natured.  Jude's a really nice, enthusiastic guy)  We were all pretty focused on the Ether and the HE1000's that were there, new toy check out so to speak.  I was very impressed with the primes with the little Cavalli.  Hope this helps a bit.  If I get the chance to come, I'll bring my primes along.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,725 of 2,891

I paired my primes with ithe Liquid Carbon at the mini-meet back in March.  It sounded really good.  The LC was @jude's demo unit.  I was like a kid, practically plucking jude's sleeve - "wow, this is great, have you heard this with the Primes?" Jude calmly sort of giggled at me, and said something to the effect of "yeah, I have those." (all very good natured.  Jude's a really nice, enthusiastic guy)  We were all pretty focused on the Ether and the HE1000's that were there, new toy check out so to speak.  I was very impressed with the primes with the little Cavalli.  Hope this helps a bit.  If I get the chance to come, I'll bring my primes along.

Thanks to that enrosement, I just bought the Liquid Carbon.

Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in...

biggrin.gif

Now I need a balanced cable for the Primes.  Yikes, what a hobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back