MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Review (and comparison with HD600 and K701)
Dec 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #107 of 124
How do these compare to the HE-400 and HE4? I own the former right now and am looking for an upgrade, and the fact that the ADs are closed and have such great mids are really tempting me (the HE-400's mids are just slightly lacking to me).

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #111 of 124
Hello there.

Someone please does a small comparison between the Sennheiser HD650 and the Alpha Dog. I think I am ready to buy one of these two but still considering which one I should buy. Let me be more specific. I am a fan of vocals and most of my genres are vocals certainly such as jazz, pop, R&B, ... some listens with Rock and classical but not regularly. Some female singers that I love are Sarah Brightman, Celine Dion, Susan Wong, Halie Loren, Adele, Christy Baron, ... and I want to buy a good headphone that can play these genres from pretty good to excellent that I could buy.

If I choose the Alpha Dog then buy and build a Bottlehead S.E.X to let them pair together is a good choice but the price is more than 1k$ for both an that is really a big problem for me now at least in next year.

Otherwise If I choose the HD650 then buy and build a Bottlehead Crack is a more affordable combo than the first combo.

However as I said I would like to hear your thought before I make a decision. How many percent or how much the first combo is better than the second?

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #112 of 124
How do these AD's compare to the HD650's in quality and all around sound. And do you think the AD's could be driven by the newest generation iPod touch. From my understanding, the HD650's can't be driven for potable use without an amp. So, do you think the AD's can be portable? If so, do you recommend am ping? If so, what portable amp do you recommend? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #113 of 124
How do these AD's compare to the HD650's in quality and all around sound. And do you think the AD's could be driven by the newest generation iPod touch. From my understanding, the HD650's can't be driven for potable use without an amp. So, do you think the AD's can be portable? If so, do you recommend am ping? If so, what portable amp do you recommend? Thanks!

I owned the HD600 and not the HD650 so I can't comment on that.

The ADs sound fine out of my iPhone 4S and Sansa Clip+ even without an amp. I recommend the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII amp if you want an amp.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #114 of 124
Coming from a T1, I'm curious to try a planar-magnetic phone. I'm looking at LCD-X, but I'm just curious how the Alpha Dogs compare. Is the 3x price difference translate to the same SQ difference?

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #115 of 124
The LCD-X sounds more refined with much better imaging, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's worth 3 times the price....in fact, I would probably go for the Alpha Dog over the LCD-X for the price:performance ratio. The LCD-X still has a sizzley treble peak though and I think that makes the timbre of things sound off. The Alpha Dog is a little more accurate in that sense. The airiness and spaciousness of the LCD-X is definitely a step-up from the LCD-2's more "in your face/wall of sound" effect, which is good, but the Alpha Dog stacks up pretty well with it in terms of soundstage size.

The build quality on the X is much much much more solid though. I definitely like it, and the comfort, more than the Alpha Dog. As soft as the Alpha Pads are, the pads of the LCD-X are even softer and they create a better seal on my head without having to experiment rotating the pads.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #116 of 124
I've been going back and forth b/n the ADs and the D7000 for the past 5 days. I think the ADs sound really good and for my head, are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

But I like the d7000 more. It's just more fun to listen to and I feel more engaged to the music. That's not to say that the ADs are terrible...in fact, I like them a lot. I just think the d7000 is that good. Yes, the d7000 is listed as more expensive, but I actually paid less for my d7000 than the AD, so from a price:performance perspective, the d7000 wins, too.

I'll be making a new cable for my ADs this week and see if that changes anything.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #117 of 124
Man, if only the ADs had slightly larger soundstage/airiness it would be the perfect headphone, it even has variable bass. I wonder if the LCD XC will be able to best it in the soundstage department. What is the variable in the driver that is involved in soundstaging? Is it the quickness of the driver? Its stiffness? What physical quality of the driver leads to its soundstaging ability that apparently the Fostex driver lacks compared to $1000+ cans?  

The soundstage is still quite impressive for a closed set of headphones. Most open aired sounding closed headphones I've had the pleasure of listening to. it really is amazing! It's all in the 3-D printing :wink:

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #118 of 124
  Didn't mean to be harsh. I just meant that soundstage is very important for the majority.

I'm also questioning this. I couldn't care less about soundstage in headphones. I am just looking for natural timbre, clean dynamics and extreme detail/separation (frequency response anomolies can be EQ'd)

May 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #119 of 124
I got the Mad Dogs and thinking of upgrading them to the Alpha dogs.  You mentioned the ER-4S in your review as well.  I'm a huge fan of the ER-4S, being one of my favorite headphones.  How does the Alpha Dogs compare to the ER-4S?  Would the upgrade be worth the extra 300 bucks?

May 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #120 of 124
  I got the Mad Dogs and thinking of upgrading them to the Alpha dogs.  You mentioned the ER-4S in your review as well.  I'm a huge fan of the ER-4S, being one of my favorite headphones.  How does the Alpha Dogs compare to the ER-4S?  Would the upgrade be worth the extra 300 bucks?

I don't feel qualified to answer that question since I no longer own the Alpha Dogs and ER-4S. However, I'll just say that the Alpha Dogs has more tactile bass from being an over ear headphone but the ER-4S might have better speed and neutral tonality.

The worthiness of the extra $300 will depend on what you value in a headphone. If you want better bass then perhaps it is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back