MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #76 of 9,071
Quote:
The Alpha Dog is, to my ears, the best sounding fully closed headphone I have here--and I have a lot of headphones here.

When we attribute a sense of openness to a fully closed headphone, it's almost always with the for a closed headphone qualifier thrown in. To me, the Alpha Dog presents with openness, period.

And, again, this is essentially a fully closed headphone, not a semi-closed one. The qualities this headphone possesses--speed, neutrality, openness--are, in my experience, not common traits (especially all together) to expect from a fully closed headphone.

So if you sensed enthusiasm from me in the video, it's only because I'm enthusiastic.

Thanks for the Scoop Jude. I am in the market for a HD700 after concluding the HD800 would be too expensive to drive properly. Used prices on the 700 compare to what the Alpha Dog would retail for. Can you comment on upsides of either choice, especially in regards to amping? My thought was hd 700 with an ALO pan am. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #77 of 9,071
Quote:
The Alpha Dog is, to my ears, the best sounding fully closed headphone I have here--and I have a lot of headphones here.

When we attribute a sense of openness to a fully closed headphone, it's almost always with the for a closed headphone qualifier thrown in. To me, the Alpha Dog presents with openness, period.

And, again, this is essentially a fully closed headphone, not a semi-closed one. The qualities this headphone possesses--speed, neutrality, openness--are, in my experience, not common traits (especially all together) to expect from a fully closed headphone.

So if you sensed enthusiasm from me in the video, it's only because I'm enthusiastic.

Your enthusiasm has the power to empty wallets, use your power responsibly Peter.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #78 of 9,071
Custom-made headphones using 3D printing...

I wonder if CIEMs could be 3D-printed? Shell costs go down, down, down. Re-shelling will be cheaper and easier.

Already being done I think.

This sounds pretty spiffy. Amazing what a new cup can do. [size=6pt]Yea I know that's likely only the tip of the iceberg[/size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #79 of 9,071
Very exciting news, another thread to keep my eye on !

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #80 of 9,071
this is awesome and for 600 bucks there should be no complaints, especially from people who haven't even heard the Mad Dogs because if you've heard the Mad Dogs you wouldn't be complaining in the first place.

I can't wait for the stupid comments like "I wonder how they'll compare to the apple ear buds or maybe the fostex th900s or how about the stax 009?"

durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What's wrong with comparing it to the TH900? And I didn't like the Mad Dog 3.2 so much, so yes I can complain about the price of the Mad Dog.

Let's see how it compares to LFF's Paradox

Yeah me too! The Paradox has been out for a few years now and people who have heard them next to the Mad Dogs say they're neutral. Not to mention it used the stock T50RP earcup to achieve the sound it has instead of a custom one.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #81 of 9,071
Quote:
Yeah me too! The Paradox has been out for a few years now and people who have heard them next to the Mad Dogs say they're neutral. Not to mention it used the stock T50RP earcup to achieve the sound it has instead of a custom one.

Yup but LFF kept his secret ! Plus both are at the same price.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #83 of 9,071
Quote:
Kept what secret?  If you're referring to the modifications, both the LFF and the Mad Dog are non-disclosed.

Dan has been more open about the Mad Dog mods than we've ever really known about the Paradox. He provided instructions on how to do the initial V2 to V3 upgrade on your own, encouraging owners to open them up themselves and make the change.

The Alpha Dog may be one of my first early-adopter purchases; I've loved the Mad Dog and would love to get the upgrade ASAP. Dan, any word on what the upgrade would cost to do on a V2 model? I have two pairs, and I'm considering keeping the V3.2 for casual listening and upgrading the V2 to Alpha Dogs.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #84 of 9,071
When I got a chance to listen to the maddogs, I was going to decide whether to buy those, or the hifiman HE400s. 
At that time I chose the HE400 because I found its imaging abilities, and its clarity slightly better. I also figured the driver of the HE400 was capable of more, and I wanted to modify the HE400 to get it sounding more neutral. After several pad upgrades it was definitely more neutral, but the HE400 was still a bit tizzy, and lacking of mids so it is sold. 

The maddogs are incredibly comfortable, and the sound was extraordinary for a closed headphone. These alphadogs are supposed to be a lot better, for which I think I need to safe some money for this headphone...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #85 of 9,071
Quote:
Dan has been more open about the Mad Dog mods than we've ever really known about the Paradox. He provided instructions on how to do the initial V2 to V3 upgrade on your own, encouraging owners to open them up themselves and make the change.

The Alpha Dog may be one of my first early-adopter purchases; I've loved the Mad Dog and would love to get the upgrade ASAP. Dan, any word on what the upgrade would cost to do on a V2 model? I have two pairs, and I'm considering keeping the V3.2 for casual listening and upgrading the V2 to Alpha Dogs.

I'm not sure he would go for this, but I won't complain if he does haha

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #86 of 9,071
Quote:

Don't forget that LFF is also coming with his new Paradox updates... the Paradox Slant... so definitely an interesting comparison...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #87 of 9,071

Don't forget that LFF is also coming with his new Paradox updates... the Paradox Slant... so definitely an interesting comparison...

One advantage that I've read a lot about mrspeakers's products is the upgrade policy as well as the great customer support. I haven't heard much about LFF's side of things though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #88 of 9,071
5 pages already.... this thread is on FIRE.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back