MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #46 of 9,071
Hmm, seems very interesting. Not sure it will suit my specific tastes (I prefer warmer, medium speed, with bass emphasis), but it DOES seem to be a pure reference closed headphone.

I do not equate reference with linearity. I consider the invicta and th900 to be reference neither of which are linear.I know some do but depends what you want from your music

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #48 of 9,071
Always great stuff from Dan! Good customer Service now with innovation! That guys gonna be a millionare xD. Non the less I hope to one day have a Mr Speakers Modded T50RP shifted towards the brighter end of things... his quality has always been top notch and those Alapha pads are magical, just wish the Mad Dog agree'd with me more <3. I want that TOP QUALITY MID Fi GOODNESS xD 

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #49 of 9,071
I'm wondering if Dan will one day attempt to make a fully open variant. That would really cause quite a stir.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #51 of 9,071
[VIDEO]N[/VIDEO]
I have... Who doesn't these days... But the problem was I still didn't get it!

3D printing is a technology that has been around in manufacturing/engineering for a few years already and it basically takes a CAD type file and "prints" it using plastic substrate into shapes called out in the file. Sort of a very inexpensive injection molding comparison. It makes it by building layer upon later of this plastic and while doing so it can make very intricate details.

So after watching the video, its basically 3D printed cups with everything else being T50RP internals. Much like other modifiers make their cups out of wood Dan is making his out of ABS plastic. Interesting choices.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #52 of 9,071
[VIDEO]N[/VIDEO]
3D printing is a technology that has been around in manufacturing/engineering for a few years already and it basically takes a CAD type file and "prints" it using plastic substrate into shapes called out in the file. Sort of a very inexpensive injection molding comparison. It makes it by building layer upon later of this plastic and while doing so it can make very intricate details.

So after watching the video, its basically 3D printed cups with everything else being T50RP internals. Much like other modifiers make their cups out of wood Dan is making his out of ABS plastic. Interesting choices.

I see, so it's basically a way of making custom shaped cups out of plastic?!

Thanks

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #53 of 9,071
Interested in how these will sound. I know i enjoyed the regular mad dogs, wonder how much better these can get.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #54 of 9,071
Extremely interested. The Mad Dog is already my favorite closed back I've ever heard and a fantastic headphone. Nice to see 3d printing come about for headphones, incredible technology. Great job Dan
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #56 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm wondering if Dan will one day attempt to make a fully open variant. That would really cause quite a stir.

Oh gawd yes, it'd give the LCD2 a SERIOUS run for it's money [as it it wasn't already] 

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #57 of 9,071

I see, so it's basically a way of making custom shaped cups out of plastic?!

Thanks

Yep. Came to manufacturing as an inexpensive alternative to molding. For perspective, an injection mold can cost upwards of $100K. With 3D printing, even though the initial cost of the printer is relatively high (we paid $22K a couple of years ago) once you have the capital invested its just the materials, which are not a lot of money. And you can make a cup, test it, adjust your CAD file, print another, rinse, repeat endlessly so this is a great way to R&D. Rapid prototyping has made new product development faster and easier.

Using the stock internals will show the limits of the T50RP quickly. Much like the Lawton work in the Denon DXXXX series, the constraint is the drivers.

Wonder what these would sound like with TH600 drivers........

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #58 of 9,071
Quote:
I have... Who doesn't these days... But the problem was I still didn't get it!

There are many ways to get the job done.

Traditional methods of manufacturing would require more people and expensive machinery.  The benefit being faster production among others.

In the world of high end audio, you do not really need to produce hundreds in short periods of time.  3D printing allows versatile production at a relatively lower cost.

Typical 3D printers use ABS plastic filament.  The softer nature of the plastic would require this lattice pattern to maintain proper rigidity.

It goes down to the basic definition of plastic:
Plastic - Capable of being shaped or formed

Less plastic materials are more rigid.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #59 of 9,071
Interested in how these will sound. I know i enjoyed the regular mad dogs, wonder how much better these can get.

Good question. For $300 more it makes you wonder.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #60 of 9,071
3D printing uses ABS or PLA plastic.  There are different grades of ABS.  We're using a super-premium grade that is really durable.  We also treat it after printing to increase structural rigidity.  They're plenty tough.  In a rotation stress test the Fostex riser assembly broke before our cup.

Dan, if you're announcing this on August 9th (which is my birthday btw, hint, hint)... and you're at the the California Audio Show... is there a chance that you'll have it with you? In other words, am I a few hundred feet from this thing right now? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back