MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #8,896 of 9,071

I learned this the hard way, have a tip from the connector lodged deep in my Fiio X5 and can't get it out. Tried everything, superglued a toothpick, pins, even a Q-tip, but that sucker won't come out.

Get a small diameter screw extractor and use it to catch the inside of the plug tip so that the tip can be removed by pulling the extractor out.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #8,897 of 9,071
 I learned this the hard way, have a tip from the connector lodged deep in my Fiio X5 and can't get it out. Tried everything, superglued a toothpick, pins, even a Q-tip, but that sucker won't come out.

Take the broken headphone plug. Use something small like a toothpick to put a small dab of super glue inside the barrel of the plug, where the missing tip should be. Plug into your device, wait a minute and pull out. Small dab of glue so it won't spill out and mess up the socket.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #8,898 of 9,071
We aren't giving anyone a hard sell on cables, and we aren't "gouging." We use a cost multiplier on the accessories, similar to how Schitt prices. Each DUM takes well over an hour of labor, is made in the US, and uses top quality connectors. The folk who make the cables make living wages, this isn't a sweatshop.

Whether it's worth it to you is a different story, only you can decide that.

Then you must be taking a huge loss with each Alpha Dog when you consider what you get for the price (which includes the existing cable) compared to the cost of a 10 foot DUM.  I never suggested that it was a "sweat shop" either.  Hell, I'm not even sure how you arrived at that in the first place when I already think the price it too much, and it's still cheaper than most of the competitors.  Surely it doesn't cost you a minimum of $100 for the parts.

I wouldn't have even bothered considering getting a replacement if the default cable (in hindsight) didn't seem like it was set up the way it was with the intent of having someone buy a replacement.  With how good the actual headphones are, I have no idea who thought the default cables would be considered comfortable or even a good length.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #8,899 of 9,071
Originally Posted by Sanctuary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then you must be taking a huge loss with each Alpha Dog when you consider what you get for the price (which includes the existing cable) compared to the cost of a 10 foot DUM.  I never suggested that it was a "sweat shop" either.  Hell, I'm not even sure how you arrived at that in the first place when I already think the price it too much, and it's still cheaper than most of the competitors.  Surely it doesn't cost you a minimum of $100 for the parts.

I wouldn't have even bothered considering getting a replacement if the default cable (in hindsight) didn't seem like it was set up the way it was with the intent of having someone buy a replacement.  With how good the actual headphones are, I have no idea who thought the default cables would be considered comfortable or even a good length.

When you use a word like "gouging" you are making a strong negative statement about our business practices, as you must know, and gouging implies all sorts of negatives.      

Our choices may not work for you, fair enough and understandable and your impressions are yours.  The choice of materials and lengths was carefully considered and while they may now work for you, they clearly work for most of our customers or we would make changes.  We listen VERY carefully to all feedback, positive and negative.

I'm glad you like the headphones, but if you don't like the cable just say so without trying to assign motives to our actions or accusing us of gouging.  That's uncalled for, and also serves zero purpose in this forum.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 30, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #8,900 of 9,071

Seriously, don't buy the cable. There really is no reason to be so jerkish about it. If the product does not live up to your value criteria then look elsewhere. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #8,902 of 9,071

Some people just want to watch the world burn. . . .

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8,904 of 9,071
Well, I have received my Alpha Dogs on-loan from @inthere (he's such a nice guy 
biggrin.gif
)  and I have to say these things are MAGICAL for the price of $500!  I'm driving them from the Asgard 2, using my Fiio X3ii as a DAC.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #8,905 of 9,071
Well, I have received my Alpha Dogs on-loan from @inthere
 (he's such a nice guy :D )  and I have to say these things are MAGICAL for the price of $500!  I'm driving them from the Asgard 2, using my Fiio X3ii as a DAC.

I'm really excited for you! I am awaiting my order of the Alpha Dogs actually. I also have the Asgard 2 I look forward to your impressions with the pairing. I use the PeachTree DAC iTx though as a source component.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8,906 of 9,071
I don't think there's a world shattering difference in DACs and Goodyfresh's impressions I'm sure are going to reflect your own quite closely.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,907 of 9,071
  Well, I have received my Alpha Dogs on-loan from @inthere (he's such a nice guy 
biggrin.gif
)  and I have to say these things are MAGICAL for the price of $500!  I'm driving them from the Asgard 2, using my Fiio X3ii as a DAC.

I thought they were magical for the price of $600, or were they ever $699? I can't remember........anyway they would've been magical for the price of $699

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #8,908 of 9,071
I even think they sound perfectly fine driven straight from my Fiio X3ii, to tell you guys the truth.  Seriously.

I know, crazy, right?  Because everybody else is like "nooooooooooo, that's not powerful enough to drive them, you're out of your mind."  But I'm telling you, they sound GREAT even right from the X3ii, and it's even able to get them QUITE loud.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #8,909 of 9,071
I went from amping the dogs using a G103 (1130 mW) to using a V200 (2700 mW), the sound totally improved, the low end in particular.

From the G103 i was originally a little underwhelmed with the bass impact, not so with the V200.

For comparisons sake your X3ii is putting out only ~200 mW...

As with all things though, there's no substitute for your own impressions / opinion.

Enjoy,
G

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #8,910 of 9,071
  I went from amping the dogs using a G103 (1130 mW) to using a V200 (2700 mW), the sound totally improved, the low end in particular.

From the G103 i was originally a little underwhelmed with the bass impact, not so with the V200.

For comparisons sake your X3ii is putting out only ~200 mW...

As with all things though, there's no substitute for your own impressions / opinion.

Enjoy,
G

I didn't say they DON'T sound even BETTER from the Asgard 2.  They definitely do.  THey just already sound very good even straight from the X3ii, that's all I'm saying :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back