1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592
594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603
Next

Last
  1. Takeanidea
    I look forward to it , especially comparing to your other headphones, because those sorts of comparisons are not so easy to come by 

2. Amalz
    Got mine today but there's smoething weird the headphone stand not include with to box!

3. mrspeakers Contributor

As the website says the stand is no longer included....

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  4. goodyfresh
    My other headphones aren't WORTH comparing to something like the Alpha Dogs, man.  My only other full-sized headphones are teh Sony MDR-1A and the Sony MDR-100AAP, and my IEM's are the Puro Sound Labs IEM500, Shure SE215, and Trinity Deltas.  None of those are even in the same league as something like the Alpha Dogs or any other mid-fi-or-above planar magnetic headphones.  So yeah I could compare but what would be the point, really?  Haha.

I did, however, get some a very nice opportunity recently for some semi-extended listening to the old open back Ether and the new Ether C, in a very ideal, quiet environment (a library) about a week ago.  Normally I don't do comparisons from memory but, both those headphones (as well as the Audioquest Nighthawks which I also listened to there) made SUCH an impression on me that I will NEVER forget how they sounded.  So although it will be from memory, I should be able to compare the Alpha Dogs to the more expensive TOTL Mr. Speakers headphones, as well as to the Nighthawks :)

5. lurk
    Open back headphones in a library? Haha!

6. goodyfresh
    I didn't have to crank them up very loud at all.  Precisely because it was a library so there was hardly any external noise.

7. Sanctuary
    Two questions:

1. Are there any cable replacements that are cheaper than the DUM replacement (they need to be longer and more flexible than the default, which I think are not very comfortable and too short)?

2. Why are they so damn expensive in the first place?  Sure, they aren't the ridiculous $500+ custom stuff, but even when mocking those kinds of cables, they still gouge the hell out of their own.  $250 is half the cost of the headphones themselves.  Is it some kind of proprietary XLR or something?  If I'm going to be forced to spend that much, I may as well just spend an additional $100 to get not only lighter and more flexible cables, but longer as well.  But I shouldn't have to.

Had my headphones for almost a year and a half now.  While I think they sound damn amazing, the cabling just makes them too clunky for everyday use, and I end up having to a) sit very still to not get annoyed by the cable and b) sit rather close to the amp, which is already somewhat far from the wall in the first place.

8. penmarker
    Cables are expensive because its a niche market with limited people who got soldering skills. I got a custom cable for MYR70 (about US$17), then I found out the parts don't even cost more than MYR30. That's more than 100% profit.

But then again, there is that R&D stuff that people supposedly could make them sound better.

9. Sanctuary
    It just comes off as a whole lot of Monster Cable though.  Despite being low in demand, the profit margins are out of whack for what's offered.

10. inthere

I learned this the hard way, have a tip from the connector lodged deep in my Fiio X5 and can't get it out. Tried everything, superglued a toothpick, pins, even a Q-tip, but that sucker won't come out.

11. mrspeakers Contributor

We aren't giving anyone a hard sell on cables, and we aren't "gouging." We use a cost multiplier on the accessories, similar to how Schitt prices. Each DUM takes well over an hour of labor, is made in the US, and uses top quality connectors. The folk who make the cables make living wages, this isn't a sweatshop.

Whether it's worth it to you is a different story, only you can decide that.

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  12. Ableza

So don't buy it.  No need to be a dick about it.

13. Takeanidea

I think the soldering is done by hand and the guarantee of a 100% perfect solder job is worth a lot for those who have experienced the bitterness of failure.

....but there are much less expensive options out there with a little bit of searching around, someone can make a custom cable probably using your existing connections and just replacing the cable

14. musiclvr
    I have just ordered the Alpha Dogs in black with the DUM cable!!!! I am really excited to hear my first balanced planar magnetic headphone!

swspiers likes this.
  15. goodyfresh
    So you tried even more methods after the last time you told me you were trying to dislodge it?

That seriously sucks, man.

First

Back
583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592
594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603
Next

Last