1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605
Next

Last
  1. Dixter
    If you like the way they sound single ended... then you should try them balanced out of the OppO.....  

2. musiclvr
    I am due to get my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon (LC) Balanced amp today. I also ordered the Alpha Dogs with a XLR 4-Pin DUM cable specifically for the LC. It'll be two big surprises for me in that; I have never heard a planar magnetic headphone or a balanced headphone either. Now I will have both in one!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3. musiclvr
    Can anyone give their impressions on if/how much the alpha dogs benefit from balanced operation?

4. Dixter
    I  think you will be pleased with balanced....  what DAC are you going to use for balacned mode with the LC ??

5. musiclvr
    I'm happy to hear that!:wink: I will be using the PeachTree DAC iTx. I find it to be musical with the right amount of detail. I am holding on getting a balanced dac for now as I had to practically beg the Mrs to let me get another pair of headphones. I figured I would benefit more from a balanced headphone over a balanced dac first, at least under the $500.00 range. I anticipate that I will still end up getting a unbalanced dac when I do upgrade anyways as I read that the phase splitter in the LC is well implemented. I am thinking about the Schiit Bifrost Multibit at the moment.
    I am especially curious to hear how the treble is presented by the Alpha Dogs as the reviews have been from "peaky" to "soft" in some reviews. I'm sure that the Doggie treats will be fun to experiment with though. I happen to be really sensitive to sibilance but I love detail so I do a good amount of low level listening.

6. Takeanidea
    Nope there's no sibilance to worry about with the dogs . There's noticeable hiss in the tracks when compared to many other phones. This is how accurate Dan has got these headphones tuned. If someone in the orchestra is uncomfortable in their seat , you'll hear it.

7. musiclvr
    Thanks for your insight Takeanidea. You have eased my post-purchase anxiety being that I made a blind purchase soley based on reviews/comments.

8. Takeanidea
    Let me ease your anxiety even further. I don't believe we truly get a feel for our audio gear until our ears have fully adjusted to their individual sound signature. 
    This can take many hours. It can also involve using different EQing , different genres of music , different music players, different sources , even different cables, Hours of listening to a device in a shop is not possible. Therefore most audio purchases , even auditioned ones , are a shot in the dark to a certain extent. Evidence of this can be seen on the for sale forums on headfi , one of the most popular threads.
    So if there are headfiers who have owned products for months or years they are definitely worth talking to. 

swspiers likes this.
  9. musiclvr
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I read through this thread, the Alpha Primes thread, and the Ether C thread as well. I based a large part of my decision on the fact that the Alpha Dog is still very relevant (even preferred by some) and quite comparable to some open back cans and closed cans (<$1k) since its conception. At first I wrote off the AD's because of it's humble roots being that of the T50RP drivers. In the end I decided it's more important to note it's the final voicing that counts. I also am quite impressed by Dan's level of customer service and transparency.

10. Maelob
    You wont be dissapointed- great headohones

11. swspiers
    I think this is the best advice, and best explanation of the topic I have read in a very, very long time.  Nice!

12. Takeanidea
    Thank you very much[​IMG] 

13. goodyfresh

Well the overall signature is just wonderful.  And they strike the perfect balance, to my ears, between a smoothed-out musical tonality, and a super-detailed clinical tone.
    Oh yes, they are :)  Ever since two days ago when I got my pair on loan, I have not been able to stop listening to them!  I will definitely have to buy a pair of them or of the Alpha Primes of my own in the future.

Speaking of which, guys. . . . . .to those who have had a chance to compare the two, in what ways would you say the Alpha Primes would provide some actual improvement over the Alpha Dogs?  Moreover, what would be the improvements, if any, from getting the DUM cable?

14. wahsmoh

TY for your impressions. I am thinking of getting something more powerful than Asgard 2, but I like it quite a bit and it has a nice form factor. The V200 is on my list now since the G103 is more in the power output of the Asgard 2.

15. GTMarauder46
    Also interested in impressions of these cans with the DUM cable.

First

Back
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605
Next

Last