MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #8,791 of 9,071
Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, hopefully it is.

I've been using a mrspeakers mad dog as my portable now (with a fiio e12 amp) and really, really love it. Now, I've found a good deal on an alpha dog. My question is.. Are these as portable as the Mad Dog? I'm sure a lot of you will say i'm crazy for carrying all that stuff around all the time, but I don't mind it. I just wanted to know if the leakage isn't too bad, the isolation is OK (I don't expect them to be superb in this, but just a little bit is enough) and can they take a bit of beating? I'd like to use these on my bike (No mountain biking or whatever, just a casual bike trip to the bus and back), in the bus, and in a classroom (doesn't have to be 100% silent, but I don't want to be that kid who blasts his music way too loud. It's a noisy class room after all.). It sometimes rains around here, and I know it's a bad idea to have full-size headphones out in the rain, but sometimes it just happens. My mad dog hasn't given up on me after more than 1,5 years of this use, my question is, will the alpha dogs survive this?

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #8,792 of 9,071
  Hey guys!

I've been using a mrspeakers mad dog as my portable now (with a fiio e12 amp) and really, really love it. Now, I've found a good deal on an alpha dog. My question is.. Are these as portable as the Mad Dog? I'm sure a lot of you will say i'm crazy for carrying all that stuff around all the time, but I don't mind it. I just wanted to know if the leakage isn't too bad, the isolation is OK (I don't expect them to be superb in this, but just a little bit is enough) and can they take a bit of beating? I'd like to use these on my bike (No mountain biking or whatever, just a casual bike trip to the bus and back), in the bus, and in a classroom (doesn't have to be 100% silent, but I don't want to be that kid who blasts his music way too loud. It's a noisy class room after all.). It sometimes rains around here, and I know it's a bad idea to have full-size headphones out in the rain, but sometimes it just happens. My mad dog hasn't given up on me after more than 1,5 years of this use, my question is, will the alpha dogs survive this?

The Alpha Dog has terrific build quality and can take a beating… unless you aren’t willing to risk marks on the glossy earcups… oily finger leave traces them. Isolation is superb. Comfort is amazing considering it’s around half a kilogram but I personally wouldn’t risk it. I’m rather OC with glossy surfaces. With regard to rain, the likely bad that that I could imagine would be damage to the leather. I can't compare it to the Mad Dog as I've never had those. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #8,793 of 9,071
Car wax reduces or eliminates fingerprints. Apply and remove with very soft cotton or microfiber...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 11, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #8,794 of 9,071
The Alpha Dog has terrific build quality and can take a beating… unless you aren’t willing to risk marks on the glossy earcups… oily finger leave traces them. Isolation is superb. Comfort is amazing considering it’s around half a kilogram but I personally wouldn’t risk it. I’m rather OC with glossy surfaces. With regard to rain, the likely bad that that I could imagine would be damage to the leather. I can't compare it to the Mad Dog as I've never had those. 

+1 well said sir.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #8,798 of 9,071
Hey guys!

Why do you like the big headphones for outdoor use when iems take up so much less space esp in the pocket?

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #8,799 of 9,071
I guess he is comfortable in his own skin - LOL you would never catch me wearing those things in the open. 
darthsmile.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #8,801 of 9,071
Are anyone's U-shaped gimbals loose? Mine slide up and down freely on one side, but stick on the other. It's as if the piece that holds the U is coming a part on one side.
If your headphones are under warranty, feel free to ship them back to us and we'll be happy to take care of it for you. You can also adjust it yourself with a Phillips screwdriver if you are out of warranty and don't feel like paying for a repair.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #8,802 of 9,071
If your headphones are under warranty, feel free to ship them back to us and we'll be happy to take care of it for you. You can also adjust it yourself with a Phillips screwdriver if you are out of warranty and don't feel like paying for a repair.

I'm not sure If I want to pay for shipping, where's the screw I need to tighten? It's like the top portion of the thing that holds the gimbal is loose.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #8,804 of 9,071
I'll get it on it when it's not very early in the morning/late at night. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind! You were right - turning the big silver screw tightened it up and now it's not loose. I wonder why it got loose in the first place?

Thanks, Peter!

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #8,805 of 9,071
I'll get it on it when it's not very early in the morning/late at night. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind! You were right - turning the big silver screw tightened it up and now it's not loose. I wonder why it got loose in the first place?

Thanks, Peter!

The leather can compress a little over time, which allows the slider to move more freely. Every piece of leather is a little different, some compress enough to get loose, others don't...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back