MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,701 of 9,071
Been wanting to get myself an HD650 for a year plus but then a sales thread popped up locally for a pair of used Alpha Dogs. I offered a price lower than an HD650 (things has to be imported so shipping, conversion rate, and taxes inflate the prices. HD650 is about USD400) and the seller agreed. I guess tomorrow or later I'll be picking up my very own pair of Alpha Dog.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,704 of 9,071
  Been wanting to get myself an HD650 for a year plus but then a sales thread popped up locally for a pair of used Alpha Dogs. I offered a price lower than an HD650 (things has to be imported so shipping, conversion rate, and taxes inflate the prices. HD650 is about USD400) and the seller agreed. I guess tomorrow or later I'll be picking up my very own pair of Alpha Dog.

I think you will really enjoy it. I heard the HD650 on Vinni Rossi's LIO at CanJam 2015 and it was impressive and was able to put out some pretty good bass for a closed can. I didn't like the clamping force for an open can, I prefer the DT880 in that aspect.

The Alpha Dogs are better than any of the mid-fi dynamics I have heard (HD650,HD600, DT880, AKG K7xx/K701/K712) and have better microdetails as well as a sense of ambient detail in the recording (because it's closed and doesn't allow anything to escape) but at the same time it images much like an open headphone.

There is a back, L/R, front 3D space as far as soundstage goes.

Also, be reminded DACs make a HUGE difference.

With the Bifrost Uber my Alpha Dog didn't have as good of a "center image" and didn't have as good of a 3D space as my new DAC.

That means I can hear instrument separation envelop my ears more than the Bifrost Uber which sounded more like stuff in the rear space of the music was coming out the back diagonal left and back diagonal right channel versus behind me.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #8,705 of 9,071

I think you will really enjoy it. I heard the HD650 on Vinni Rossi's LIO at CanJam 2015 and it was impressive and was able to put out some pretty good bass for a closed can. I didn't like the clamping force for an open can, I prefer the DT880 in that aspect.

The Alpha Dogs are better than any of the mid-fi dynamics I have heard (HD650,HD600, DT880, AKG K7xx/K701/K712) and have better microdetails as well as a sense of ambient detail in the recording (because it's closed and doesn't allow anything to escape) but at the same time it images much like an open headphone.

There is a back, L/R, front 3D space as far as soundstage goes.

Also, be reminded DACs make a HUGE difference.

With the Bifrost Uber my Alpha Dog didn't have as good of a "center image" and didn't have as good of a 3D space as my new DAC.

That means I can hear instrument separation envelop my ears more than the Bifrost Uber which sounded more like stuff in the rear space of the music was coming out the back diagonal left and back diagonal right channel versus behind me.

I dinged my friend's car today, I cannot pay for the Alpha Dogs anymore.

:frowning2:

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #8,706 of 9,071

What is your new DAC? Just curious....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #8,707 of 9,071
What is your new DAC? Just curious....

Hehe it is a R2R Theta DAC from 1994.. the Theta DS Pro Progeny

This might not be a fair battle considering the MSRP of the Progeny in 94 was $995, roughly equivalent to $1500 with inflation and not including the rising cost of supply

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #8,708 of 9,071
I just got my Alpha Dogs in the mail. Opened them up and was incredibly delighted with the packaging and build quality, they feel more solid than the Fostex TH900s! Running them of of a balanced setup from the HA1, planning on getting an adapter and testing it on a Bel canto setup, but until then the HA1 will have to do. I don't really have much to say about the Alpha dogs besides they sound fantastic and open for a closed back set of phones, I am very, very pleased with my purchase Mr. Dan!

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #8,709 of 9,071
I had an interesting experience with my Alpha dogs recently. I had the unusual fortune of having two separate AD's side by side for comparison (bought my dad a pair as a gift after I blew his mind with mine), and was surprised at how different the sound signatures were between the two pairs. Not in a bad way--the sounds were equally spacious and with just as much detail; however, all things being equal the new pair had a much, MUCH warmer sound than the pair I had grown accustomed to. With my original pair, I needed two doggie treats in each side and a slight opening of the bass port to get the pair to my liking, while with the new pair I could get away with no treats and leave the bass alone.

What this made me realize is that (1) there is likely a ton of variation between batches of drivers that come out of Fostex, which makes it all the more impressive that (2) Dan was able to deal with these variations so well with the customizations available in the AD's. If I had gotten any other headphone that sounded like my original pair did out of the box, I might have sold them a while ago--there was just too much treble for my liking. But thanks to all the clever engineering that went into the Dogs, I was able to keep them. And boy am I glad I kept them!

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #8,710 of 9,071
I almost forgot to mention...Alpha Dog's + Schiit Lyr 2 + 60's Amperex Orange Globe's = the end of America's drug war. Who needs meth, crack, or heroin when there are experiences this good available legally. Of course, you may still have to sell your furniture to pay for either habit...

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #8,711 of 9,071
Thinking about going from mad dog pro to alpha dogs. I find myself wishing the mdp was not as dark. I want more treble extension and air and soundstage, but am worried about losing the bottom end.

Is the alpha what I'm looking for or should I just keep my pros and look for an open can for the new sound sig I'm after?

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #8,712 of 9,071
Thinking about going from mad dog pro to alpha dogs. I find myself wishing the mdp was not as dark. I want more treble extension and air and soundstage, but am worried about losing the bottom end.

Is the alpha what I'm looking for or should I just keep my pros and look for an open can for the new sound sig I'm after?

Any previous or current MDP owners want to chime in?? I really enjoy the bass of the Alpha Dogs and I don't think you should be worried about losing bass when you will most likely be gaining soundstage and overall clarity,

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #8,713 of 9,071
Haven't owned the MDP's, but I can tell you that the bass on the Alphas isn't lacking in the slightest. Quantity and quality are both there. I'm not a fan of "accurate", but underpowered bass, either. Plus, you can always adjust the bass port to your liking (assuming you would be comfortable doing that).

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #8,714 of 9,071
I know the alphas will sound fantastic with my acoustic tastes, but is it enough for these tracks? they call for the bass boost and EQing isn't an option for me because my music streamer (beatsmusic) doesn't offer it.

iamx - nightlife
iamx - ghosts of utopia
the knife - silent shout

sorry i'd link them but the quality of the videos on youtube isn't great.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #8,715 of 9,071
To my ears the Alpha is a big step up from MD in terms of clarity and overall balance, and the Prime was a significant improvement over the Alpha.  YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back