MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Mar 14, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #8,687 of 9,071
All of you raise great points.

What I meant it was that wasn't worthwhile for Dan to do the upgrade and provide it as an option to us. 

I think that people are indeed entitled to decide if it is worth it for them. I happen to have a unit that was upgraded during the trial and I love it. I never liked the Alpha Dogs so for me the upgrade was REALLY worthwhile. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #8,688 of 9,071

What I meant it was that wasn't worthwhile for Dan to do the upgrade and provide it as an option to us. 

I think that people are indeed entitled to decide if it is worth it for them. I happen to have a unit that was upgraded during the trial and I love it. I never liked the Alpha Dogs so for me the upgrade was REALLY worthwhile. 

hope this will be of help

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737566/mrspeakers-alpha-prime-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1215#post_11401363

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737566/mrspeakers-alpha-prime-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1020#post_11300470

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #8,689 of 9,071

Hehe I am still listening to the Alpha Dogs and the more I listen to them the less I feel like I want to sell them and buy the Primes. They honestly didn't sound that great with the stock cable as I felt the tonality was more midrange focused and not detailed enough. Well the cable fixed that and when I compared the Alpha Dog to the Alpha Prime (both had Norne Vanquish single ended cables) the Prime had the lower THD and more laidback presentation.. but the Alpha Dog lays down vocals with perfect accuracy and while the treble may or may not be as refined as the Alpha Prime it sounds way too good for my ears to want make the exchange. For now I am going to play around with DACs and see how that influences the sound of my headphones until I get another chance to compare the two and give it a second thought.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #8,690 of 9,071
I've had mine for about a year now, and I still haven't gotten used to the default cable.  Not really the sound (I love them), but the bulkiness as well as the absolutely, ridiculously short length.  I need to find a better alternative, but I don't need some diamond encrusted, multi-tempered, irradiated platinum ore sprinkled with Mars dust cables costing a fortune when something for a third of the price would sound the same.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8,693 of 9,071
I paid $246 after tax for my cable which is 6 ft. long and while that may seem a bit steep it is a 24 gauge cable mix of silver plated copper and copper OCC. I like it because it is also more flexible than the stock cable being a round braid. I think most people who have tried or owned this cable with the AD have noticed slight changes in tonality. I consider that a bonus since I didn't expect to hear much difference when I bought the cable I just wanted something that looked and functioned better.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,694 of 9,071
  I paid $246 after tax for my cable which is 6 ft. long and while that may seem a bit steep it is a 24 gauge cable mix of silver plated copper and copper OCC. I like it because it is also more flexible than the stock cable being a round braid. I think most people who have tried or owned this cable with the AD have noticed slight changes in tonality. I consider that a bonus since I didn't expect to hear much difference when I bought the cable I just wanted something that looked and functioned better.

Yeah, something like that would be perfect, although it probably only cost $30 to make.  I'm also not sure about the alteration in sound.  The ADs are almost perfectly neutral, and I like how they sound.  Your opinion of the default sound makes it seem like you want a more V shaped sound.  I don't want recessed mids or more pronounced highs.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8,695 of 9,071

That is a very nice cable sir. I did not mind the cables that came with my Alpha Dogs, however I felt the XLR cable was a tad small and had a 10 vanquish XLR cable made. The cable is nice and light, perfect for what I needed.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #8,696 of 9,071

Yeah, something like that would be perfect, although it probably only cost $30 to make.  I'm also not sure about the alteration in sound.  The ADs are almost perfectly neutral, and I like how they sound.  Your opinion of the default sound makes it seem like you want a more V shaped sound.  I don't want recessed mids or more pronounced highs.

I wouldn't say the mids are recessed now I would just say they are slightly more syrupy on the stock Canare Quad cable than the Vanquish which sounded more linear to my ears. Also the highs on the AD have always kind of maintained neutrality but didn't really stand out from the rest of the frequencies as much until I got the cable. I would say there is better extension and separation now. The last time I compared the two these are what I noticed. If you like the way it sounds good, but I wouldn't say the change in tonality is for everyone and even Dan owns two Vanquish cables one of them I know is balanced and was on the Alpha Prime when I tested it so I can't see how it would sound worse.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #8,697 of 9,071
Hey guys, quick question, can anyone explain to me the sound signature difference between the Alpha Dog and the Mad Dog Pro? As much as I love the MDP sound signature, i'm bitten by the upgrade bug haha, and the AD looks so much sexier than the MDP :p

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #8,698 of 9,071
Just upgraded from the MD 3.2s to the ADs.  Probably the best $300ish I've ever spent in headphone audio.  The ADs are a significant improvement over an already amazing MD product.  I can't recommend these things enough.  I can't wait to put them on my head every day. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8,699 of 9,071
Just upgraded from the MD 3.2s to the ADs.  Probably the best $300ish I've ever spent in headphone audio.  The ADs are a significant improvement over an already amazing MD product.  I can't recommend these things enough.  I can't wait to put them on my head every day. 

+1 The Alpha Dogs are a fantastic headphone, the way the sound, plus isolate/ isolate your from the world. Just you and the music, making the moment last forever.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back