MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #7,201 of 9,071
Fixed my Schiit stack issue last night, damn pets love USB cables.  Found an ugly spot, replaced it and grainy/pop went away.

However, with the stack fixed, when comparing the AD's using the WA6-SE vs the Asgard 2, it's a no brainer for me to determine which one I prefer.  Maybe the Asgard 2 will open up a bit more as the AD's get used and broken in, but I prefer the sound of the Asgard 2 with the P7's over the AD's. The P7's have kind of a bass hump which seems to smooth out a bit with the Asgard 2.

Both are using Bifrost Uber's for DAC's through Gen2 USB, so only difference is the amp itself at this point.  Back-end cabling is all the same, using StraightWire interconnects or PYST (which is StraightWire) for really short runs.  The Asgard 2 to my ears, has a clumped together sound stage and lacks brightness for my personal tastes with the AD's, which are very neutral.

They don't sound bad by any means and I could still sit and listen to them if I wanted to listen to music.  Maybe others have better luck with their's and enjoy the sound from the Asgard 2, hope they do, just not my cup of tea.

May 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #7,202 of 9,071
  I gotta be honest dude. I bought the Asgard 2 to go with my ADs and returned it because I couldn't hear the difference between it and the Magni.

It's true the Vali/Lyr may be a different story since they're tube amps, just sharing my experience.

Also I would be shocked if there was a noticeable difference between the Modi and the Bifrost. Even on Schiit's website they hint that they sound the same, but the Bifrost just has a lot more features.

You're probably right. I cannot tell much difference with audio quality so a change of amp shouldn't be significant.

May 30, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #7,205 of 9,071
I was honestly baffled with our own A/B blind tests between the Alpha Dogs, Audeze LCD2s, HE 500s, and Senn HD 800s.  Using the Lyr, Bifrost uber-update, the Alpha Dogs, with their stock cable, take a bite out of the competition in ways that are hard to quantify, but clearly upheld by our serious late-night listeners-  Alphas are utterly comfortable, warm, deep, and believably coherent with dynamics, detailed imaging (cymbals stacked against winds, guitar and bass drums) and offer the most unnerving intimate details of guitar fret noise and trumpet embouchure.  For the Money, and as a concept mod, these Alpha Dogs kick the pants out of their more expensive and fancy competitors.  There is something undeniably "real', "honest", and mind-bending about these cans that kept me listening without wanting to switch over to the Senns or Audeze.
Sacriledge!  sweet honesty!   I'm going home with that old-town sweety I met 25 year ago.

May 30, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #7,206 of 9,071
  I was honestly baffled with our own A/B blind tests between the Alpha Dogs, Audeze LCD2s, HE 500s, and Senn HD 800s.  Using the Lyr, Bifrost uber-update, the Alpha Dogs, with their stock cable, take a bite out of the competition in ways that are hard to quantify, but clearly upheld by our serious late-night listeners-  Alphas are utterly comfortable, warm, deep, and believably coherent with dynamics, detailed imaging (cymbals stacked against winds, guitar and bass drums) and offer the most unnerving intimate details of guitar fret noise and trumpet embouchure.  For the Money, and as a concept mod, these Alpha Dogs kick the pants out of their more expensive and fancy competitors.  There is something undeniably "real', "honest", and mind-bending about these cans that kept me listening without wanting to switch over to the Senns or Audeze.
Sacriledge!  sweet honesty!   I'm going home with that old-town sweety I met 25 year ago.

Thanks for the impressions. It would be nice to hear more direct comparisons against those other hp's. 

May 30, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #7,207 of 9,071

I totally agree, add a DHC Fusion cable, and they scale up even further!

May 30, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7,208 of 9,071
I was honestly baffled with our own A/B blind tests between the Alpha Dogs, Audeze LCD2s, HE 500s, and Senn HD 800s. 

I don't know how you can conduct a true blind test with these 4 headphones of obvious different weight, clamping force and padding feel. I find it a bit hard to believe if you can't tell between a LCD-2 and HD800 on your head.

May 30, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #7,209 of 9,071
You can certainly hear a difference between the Audeze, HD800, and the A-Dogs. My point is, the A-Dogs are amazing in that they  hold their ground with their total sound signature and dynamic range.
I have the same amp/source stack, and the APD's are undeniably a contender. My HD 800s bring a whole new level of of imaging and definition with this rig, however, Alpha Dogs, bite hard and keep me coming back.

May 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #7,210 of 9,071
  You can certainly hear a difference between the Audeze, HD800, and the A-Dogs. My point is, the A-Dogs are amazing in that they  hold their ground with their total sound signature and dynamic range.
I have the same amp/source stack, and the APD's are undeniably a contender. My HD 800s bring a whole new level of of imaging and definition with this rig, however, Alpha Dogs, bite hard and keep me coming back.

This, I can appreciate. Should have my AD on Tuesday. Impressive turn around time Dan. Nice work. 

May 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #7,211 of 9,071
Hey, I was just thinking that it's time for Dan to upgrade the comfort strap especially for the AD. Just something a little more polished, padded and finished. I could only improve the comfort and look. Hm..

May 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #7,212 of 9,071
For my second brilliant thought of the day, I'd vote for 8' and 10' options on the cable length. 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,213 of 9,071
I've Been looking at these for a while now and I really want to try them out and compare against the zmf master model but that head band just doesn't look anywhere near as comfy as the zmf headband . Having said that, I think this does look more professional

May 30, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #7,214 of 9,071
I've Been looking at these for a while now and I really want to try them out and compare against the zmf master model but that head band just doesn't look anywhere near as comfy as the zmf headband . Having said that, I think this does look more professional

i own the AD, and had a chance to listen to the zmf v1, and vibro, at the nashville meet, i preferred the alpha, though some preferred the zmf
it was very brief, but the zmf i think seemed warmer than the alpha, like i said, it was a very brief listen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back