MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #5,807 of 9,071
I actually like the copper risers more than the black ones. I guess I like contrast though; the black risers look kind of plain to me. Well, I guess that just gave away why I chose not matte-black for the colour options. XD

I originally thought the same thing, but after receiving them I really doubt I would take the copper ones now. The black ones just kind of fit, where now I think the copper ones would look kind of awkward. 

I completely agree with matte black color as a whole though. I personally like flashy colors for items like this, or slightly more interesting colors per se. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #5,808 of 9,071
It is worth getting a free SPL app and playing a 1k test tone, putting your phone about where the ear would be. If the spl is 90 or above you are at levels that will damage your hearing over time. It is very worth checking OSHA safe spl guidelines to gauge how long you can safely listen at your target levels.

The general rule in a mfg plant is 8 hours exposure at 85 db. Wish I knew how it calculated out for say a two hour listening session.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5,811 of 9,071
These past few weeks I've been listening to other headphones (Dido 901s, Momentums, DNA Pros, Yamaha MT220s) and now I'm back to the Alpha Dogs and, well... my review opinions still stand, this is definitely one of the sweetest sounding headphones I have. Sometimes I start thinking of selling all my headphones and sticking with just a tiny few... still have others on the way, but they will probably be sold as well :p

Anyway, I'm not here to just share my love for the ADs, but a quick question, has anyone experienced a "stripped" connector from one of their earcups? I think that I was dumb enough to pull the cable incorrectly or something and the connector became loose. I just jammed it up and kept on using them lol, just wondering...

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5,813 of 9,071
These past few weeks I've been listening to other headphones (Dido 901s, Momentums, DNA Pros, Yamaha MT220s) and now I'm back to the Alpha Dogs and, well... my review opinions still stand, this is definitely one of the sweetest sounding headphones I have. Sometimes I start thinking of selling all my headphones and sticking with just a tiny few... still have others on the way, but they will probably be sold as well :p

Anyway, I'm not here to just share my love for the ADs, but a quick question, has anyone experienced a "stripped" connector from one of their earcups? I think that I was dumb enough to pull the cable incorrectly or something and the connector became loose. I just jammed it up and kept on using them lol, just wondering...

It'd be really hard to do this but I won't say impossible... More likely is that the plug unscrewed a little bit and you tightened it thinking you were tightening the jack. If the connection feels sound it was probably a slighlty loose plug that you have now tightened,

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #5,814 of 9,071

Doh! Will clean the old photos out...

I actually like the copper sliders with the dark red cups and black everything-else.

The Fostex T40 has the sliders in aluminum color, which I suspect is the natural color of the material:

T-40RP.jpg

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,816 of 9,071

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

(sorry, just couldn't resist.)

LOL. :wink:

It'd be really hard to do this but I won't say impossible... More likely is that the plug unscrewed a little bit and you tightened it thinking you were tightening the jack. If the connection feels sound it was probably a slighlty loose plug that you have now tightened,

Oh, it's definitely not "tightened". I think it got stripped inside the earcup as turning it doesn't really do anything. I'll post a pic once I get home.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,817 of 9,071

Ohh the infidelity...what has come of this world!!! 
eek.gif

Should he be forgiven - how do we know he won't do it again?

Well, that's definitely something I cannot promise... my LAD5000, Sig DJs need some love too! Can't wait for my Martin-modded Beyer T5p's as well!! LOL

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #5,818 of 9,071
It is worth getting a free SPL app and playing a 1k test tone, putting your phone about where the ear would be. If the spl is 90 or above you are at levels that will damage your hearing over time. It is very worth checking OSHA safe spl guidelines to gauge how long you can safely listen at your target levels.

The general rule in a mfg plant is 8 hours exposure at 85 db. Wish I knew how it calculated out for say a two hour listening session.

Per OSHA, maximum permissible exposure limit for 2 hrs. is 100 dBA : https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/standards_more.html

I use SPL meters (Rat Shack for loudspeakers & iPad app for headphones) to set volume listening range around 80- 85 dB max peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back