MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5,791 of 9,071
Jan meir sent me his Daccord and Classic amp and have it hooke dup to the imac with the alpha dogs on now and can say this is a nice setup for the alpha Dois. The amp had 10 Watts and is very musical . I am working on review for this setup.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5,792 of 9,071
  Jan meir sent me his Daccord and Classic amp and have it hooke dup to the imac with the alpha dogs on now and can say this is a nice setup for the alpha Dois. The amp had 10 Watts and is very musical . I am working on review for this setup.

nice! look forward to the review.

also wondering if anyone here has used low-power speaker amps to power their ADs. i have a couple of old tube monoblocks that are for high-sensitivity speakers that i used for the k1000 when i had them. wondering if that would be too much juice for the ADs. hope to try this combo if/when my ADs are ever found...

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5,794 of 9,071
  The Meir got 10 Watts and it is powerful and drives them easily. The Dogs are harder to drive than the LCD X. I plan to throw the he6 into this mix soon.

yeah, that's why i asked about the speaker amps. saw that you were using a 10W amp to power the ADs. look forward to your review of all these planars.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #5,795 of 9,071
Oh man, I just saw some of the earlier pictures where the red version had black risers.  Why were they left unpainted, or changed to copper?  The older version looked so much better.  Leaving them black just makes the cups stand out more, which is what you should be looking at.  The copper just looks garish and draws attention to risers.

There needs to be some kind of customization option for the colors.  Not custom paint jobs, but the ability to mix and match between various parts that have multiple colors already applied. :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5,796 of 9,071
  Oh man, I just saw some of the earlier pictures where the red version had black sliders.  Why were they left unpainted, or changed to copper?  The older version looked so much better.  Leaving them black just makes the cups stand out more, which is what you should be looking at.  The copper just looks garish and draws attention to sliders.

There needs to be some kind of customization option for the colors.  Not custom paint jobs, but the ability to mix and match between various parts that have multiple colors already applied. :frowning2:

If I understand correctly, the original photos you saw were the ones that had the arms untreated. I believe I saw a photo or two of that version floating around online. Black is exclusive to the Alpha Dogs, the original is the copper tone.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5,797 of 9,071
  Oh man, I just saw some of the earlier pictures where the red version had black sliders.  Why were they left unpainted, or changed to copper?  The older version looked so much better.  Leaving them black just makes the cups stand out more, which is what you should be looking at.  The copper just looks garish and draws attention to sliders.

The sliders come from the Fostex factory in copper.

MrSpeakers had them changed to black for the Alpha Dogs.  All Alpha Dogs have black sliders, starting with the first unit sold.

The Mad Dogs still have the copper.  If you "search thread" and type "copper" you should get more information on this.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,798 of 9,071
Hah, now I feel pretty dumb.  I looked over the site again and noticed that they were indeed black.  However, while I was ordering mine, I was looking at a lot of the pictures and a few of them for the Alpha Dogs still look like this:

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't notice that they were black in the other shots.  Maybe I just remembered the copper more, because of how much it stood out.

Originally Posted by AxelCloris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I understand correctly, the original photos you saw were the ones that had the arms untreated. I believe I saw a photo or two of that version floating around online. Black is exclusive to the Alpha Dogs, the original is the copper tone.

This was on the ordering page for the Alpha Dogs, along with a few others that were similar. 

https://www.mrspeakers.com/Mrspeakers-Alpha-dog-Balanced-XLR

Maybe it's time to update their site?

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,802 of 9,071
Yup yup, I totally agree. I try to listen to music at low volume levels and planar magnetic headphones are great for that kind of listening without losing too much of the music. It worries me when people hand me headphones at meets and the volume knob is at 12 o'clock. >.>

Maybe my hearing is completely damaged, but I'm riding 12 o'clock on the Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid. At this range I'd say the volume level is comfortably loud ie not blowing out my ears. Other amps like The Wire and the O2 with a gain of 2 I'm in the 3 o'clock range. Any lower and I start to lose detail in the music. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #5,803 of 9,071
It is worth getting a free SPL app and playing a 1k test tone, putting your phone about where the ear would be. If the spl is 90 or above you are at levels that will damage your hearing over time. It is very worth checking OSHA safe spl guidelines to gauge how long you can safely listen at your target levels.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back