MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5,777 of 9,071
Are the connectors slightly angled on these, or are they straight down?  It's actually kind of hard to tell from the screenshots.  They look to be angled, but nowhere near as much as the LCD-2, and I also can't really tell if they are also off centered and more towards the front.  I really don't want the cables hanging straight down.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5,779 of 9,071
I'd be all for BRG, but if it didn't legitimately win I'd also love the blue.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,780 of 9,071
Okay, so I went ahead and jumped into the deep end on these.  The fifteen day return policy makes these all that much more attractive, since you often run into the risk of buyer's remorse due to not being able to actually try before you buy.  From the various reviews and replies to my own concerns, they seem to be what I'm looking for in an all rounder.  My wallet kind of hates you right now though Head-Fi! :)

Also, the red > black.  Not that I'm opposed to black in any way, but black headphones have been done to death and just look so plain.  Not that you'd really care while actually using them, but still.  For the cost, you want more than just a nice personality.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5,782 of 9,071
Agreed 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,783 of 9,071
Bit of a record-breaking day for me.

I binge watched 9 episodes of 'House of Cards', and listened to both Pink Floyd's 'Animals' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' by Genesis, all with the Alpha Dogs.  I didn't intend to watch that much TV with the Dogs, but I kinda got sucked in and forgot I had them on after a couple of hours.  I'm pretty sure this is the longest headphone session I've had in about 35 years.  It was a pretty stunning day, sonically. My new Schiit Bifrost Uber didn't hurt, either...

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #5,784 of 9,071

I binge watched 9 episodes of 'House of Cards', and listened to both Pink Floyd's 'Animals' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' by Genesis, all with the Alpha Dogs.  I didn't intend to watch that much TV with the Dogs, but I kinda got sucked in and forgot I had them on after a couple of hours.  I'm pretty sure this is the longest headphone session I've had in about 35 years.  It was a pretty stunning day, sonically. My new Schiit Bifrost Uber didn't hurt, either...

Hah, I did the exact same thing with House of Cards.  Well, watched it I mean, since I don't actually have the ADs yet.  Although my DT880s were more than sufficient for Netflix streams.

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Plain is best. Stealth look should always be a choice.

Eh, I don't find them unattractive, just really...boring.  Both of my PCs are black.  My consoles are black.  My tv and monitor are black.  My desk is black. My entertainment stand is black.  My keyboards, mice and mouse pads are black.  My Mp3 player is black and I wear a lot of black.  Need to get some color from somewhere!

Although I would actually like it more if the copper on the default were black instead.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5,785 of 9,071

Dang,  my ears just can't take the extended sessions anymore...tinnitus. I can get by with about three hours in a day with breaks. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5,786 of 9,071

Dang,  my ears just can't take the extended sessions anymore...tinnitus. I can get by with about three hours in a day with breaks. 

Considering the type of noise I love to listen to, it is weird that I don't have tinnitus.  But I was pretty young when Pete Townsend made a big deal about his hearing loss, so even as a rock bassist I wore hearing protection at every practice and gig.  I even have protection when hammering nails...

that being said, my current rig is smooth and resolving enough that it is tempting to listen to it loud.  I resist, and find myself turning down the volume as time goes on.  The AD's like volume, but they don't really need it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #5,787 of 9,071

Considering the type of noise I love to listen to, it is weird that I don't have tinnitus.  But I was pretty young when Pete Townsend made a big deal about his hearing loss, so even as a rock bassist I wore hearing protection at every practice and gig.  I even have protection when hammering nails...

that being said, my current rig is smooth and resolving enough that it is tempting to listen to it loud.  I resist, and find myself turning down the volume as time goes on.  The AD's like volume, but they don't really need it.

That is the great thing about planars.  The detail comes so effortlessly that higher volumes are completely unnecessary.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,790 of 9,071
Yup yup, I totally agree. I try to listen to music at low volume levels and planar magnetic headphones are great for that kind of listening without losing too much of the music. It worries me when people hand me headphones at meets and the volume knob is at 12 o'clock. >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back