MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #5,761 of 9,071
At least it isn't auspost/startrack. The posties came to my house when I was at home and put a card in the letterbox saying to pick up from the post office even though I was yelling to him from my doorstep. When I went to the office later that day it wasn't there. I eventually got a notice of a parcel there again, but I had 5 workdays from 8am till 5pm when the office closes before I could get there. I asked if my dad who lives close by if he could drive down and pick it for me but they refused him even though he had the card, required id. I had to wait 2 weeks to get my mad dogs at the time while it was at the post office.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,762 of 9,071
  My impressions of the Alpha Dogs after spending some time with them:

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1xtoho/mrspeakers_alpha_dogs_not_very_detailed_extended/

I agree with your impressions except that I find my AD's have more bass impact than my HE-500's and I actually find the AD's on the warm side due to the extra bass.  I do find the bass impact and soundstage is better through my BHA-1 using the balanced cable than through my Concero HP though; the HP could probably use a little more power to drive them, but they still sound very good with the Concero.  I find the HE-500 lacking in bass at times but the quality of bass is very good, and I find the AD's to be just right for the amount of bass.  I do find the HE-500's have a better soundstage and more forward mids than the AD's which seems to suit classical music better than the AD's. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5,763 of 9,071
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here.  Buried at work.

Here's where I'm coming from:

First, Dan:  Holy crap!  These things are awesome.  It's one of the very few times in life that I've gotten a product that is absolutely worth more than I paid for it.  You've done a spectacular job with the Alpha Dog.    

Now, the rest of the story:  as I was waiting for the AD's, I came across a pair of TH600's on sale.  Being the impatient sort, I picked them up.  And greatly enjoyed them.  They're a magnitude better than the aged DT990's (250 ohm) that I had been using both for my radio work and for general listening.

But, then, I got the AD's.  And the same magnitude of difference I heard between my old phones and the TH600s, I again heard, between the TH600s and the ADs.  Breathtaking.  The day they came in, I'd hoped to listen for 20 minutes or so as my family watched the Olympics.  2 hours later, I wondered why everyone else was going to bed.  I was just getting started!  Songs that I had just rediscovered with the TH600s were again renewed, but to an even greater level.  Stuff I'd been listening to for decades came alive.  (I especially enjoyed my Crystal Method cuts).

With the TH600s, I tried to explain to my son about how you should be able to place instruments and voices within the soundstage (listening to Lyle Lovett's "Church").  With the AD's on the same tune, it seemed I had the perspective of the piano player!  Incredible.  

So, I'm happy for Fostex, selling their little T50RP's for a C-note a copy.  But they're also trying to sell the TH600 for SUBSTANTIALLY more.  And, quite frankly, there's absolutely no reason to buy the TH600 with the Alpha Dogs around.  The TH600 does NOTHING better than the Alpha Dog, and the Alpha Dog does EVERYTHING better than the TH600, and for less.  Whoever was in charge of the TH600 project at Fostex should be ashamed.  All of the resources at hand, and none of the results.  Job One at Fostex should be hiring Dan, at least as a consultant.  

Now, my question is whether to retire the DT990's and use the TH600s as my radio monitors, or soldier on with the DT990 and sell the TH600.  

Congratulations, Dan.  Job well done!

I agree that the AD's are incredible and Dan has done a wonderful job. The AD's are what a closed HE-500 should sound like IMO. However, I believe the TH600s are more fun (read more bass impact) and just as articulate in the treble with a bit more sparkle up top. The AD's are a bit more articulate in the bass but not by much. I am happily keeping both. The TH600s for fun and the ADs for clarity and top to bottom balance. YMMV.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5,765 of 9,071
What? No. The AD has everything. One of the best all rounders, if not THE best I've heard.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,767 of 9,071
  Uhm, a very interesting comparison. I think the Alphad Dog gets more benefits when pairing with higher quality amps such as the below comparison text that I copied from Headfonia. I really want to see David from 50+ headphone comparison does a review of Alpha Dog in the future but who knows, may be yes may be no
blink.gif

"Let’s start with the best part first. The depth in the sound. The Alpha Dog is superior to every other T50RP-mod I know in terms of depth. Including the original T50RP as well as Fostex’s prototype RP headphone (in its early prototype stage, at least). You get a deep, three dimensional soundstage depth that rivals the Audez’es and better than any Hifiman I know. The background is black though slightly below the level of the Audezes. The soundstage is very wide and through the Studio Six amp sounds wider than even the LCD-3. The Thunderpants in comparison, though just as wide, lack the depth and the black background of the Alpha Dog."

Have you heard Zach Merbach's ZMF mod? I think it is significantly better than my Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads. I don't have Alpha Dog's, but I sure would like a comparison between them and the ZMFs!

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #5,768 of 9,071
What? No. The AD has everything. One of the best all rounders, if not THE best I've heard.

So would you go as far as saying they are as good as the D7000s?  Those seemed to be your all time favorites for the longest time.
Also, I noticed in an earlier post you were talking about how you'd use a DT880 as your reference for a neutral/balanced headphone.  Considering how very neutral you said the ADs were in your review, would it be too far of a stretch in saying that someone who really liked the DT880s would be getting similar (but much better) with the ADs?

I was really considering grabbing the AKG K702s, but the replies on that thread mentioned how they don't really have a comparable sound to the DT880s, and then your review for the ADs appeared not long after.  I'm actually looking for an all rounder (which I actually consider the DT880s to do a great job at) upgrade that doesn't color the sound much, if at all. 

I used to prefer a warm sound (heavily EQ'd Senn 280s...), but after a few years of using Phonak IEMs as well as the DT880s, while not touching EQ, I can't stand headphones that mess around with the curve too much (see: Ultrasone 900s).

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #5,769 of 9,071
So would you go as far as saying they are as good as the D7000s?  Those seemed to be your all time favorites for the longest time.
Also, I noticed in an earlier post you were talking about how you'd use a DT880 as your reference for a neutral/balanced headphone.  Considering how very neutral you said the ADs were in your review, would it be too far of a stretch in saying that someone who really liked the DT880s would be getting similar (but much better) with the ADs?

I was really considering grabbing the AKG K702s, but the replies on that thread mentioned how they don't really have a comparable sound to the DT880s, and then your review for the ADs appeared not long after.  I'm actually looking for an all rounder (which I actually consider the DT880s to do a great job at) upgrade that doesn't color the sound much, if at all. 

I used to prefer a warm sound (heavily EQ'd Senn 280s...), but after a few years of using Phonak IEMs as well as the DT880s, while not touching EQ, I can't stand headphones that mess around with the curve too much (see: Ultrasone 900s).

I owned the DT880s a LOOOONG time ago. I still remember how great they were, but I do remember a slight tip in bass and treble, so they weren't the best idea of neutrality, though very well balanced overall.

The Alpha Dog will be right at home for DT880 lovers, for sure. It's definitely an upgrade in every sense of the word. A more natural soundstage (as in more circular) for one, followed by that lovely, linear planar bass.

The closest thing to a DT880 in planar form however, would be the HE-4.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #5,770 of 9,071

Have you heard Zach Merbach's ZMF mod? I think it is significantly better than my Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads. I don't have Alpha Dog's, but I sure would like a comparison between them and the ZMFs!

No, I have not had a chance to hear any high quality planar headphones. The Alpha Dog is the first high end headphone that I have purchased because I have been participating with Mrspeakers' Mad Dog thread to the Alpha Dog thread and have read many many good comparisons, comments so I wanted to put my safe money to an Alpha Dog than other headphones.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,771 of 9,071
EDIT: We will ship through Jan 17 by tomorrow, actually.  :)

Our new facility is letting us really accelerate production.  We're now quoting a three week lead time.  We'll try to accelerate the black finish, as well.  I will now say 5 weeks lead time for Black.  We'll have a black prototype to show at the SF meet Sunday, as well.

was the other colour British teaching Green... If so. .. Any chance of a matt and gloss choice?

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5,772 of 9,071
was the other colour British teaching Green... If so. .. Any chance of a matt and gloss choice?

Technically BRG won over blue, but I haven't had time to look at the voting to see why, as BRG was way behind until the end when it just popped.  Maybe a BRG fan with an anonymizer...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,774 of 9,071
I was just reacting to Valuephile's comments. At some point I will be able to trade in my Mad Dogs toward the Alpha Dogs. Just trying to figure out if it's "worth it" to do the trade-in.

The ADs are also just as "fun" but not in the same way as the TH600s IMO. The TH600s are a bit more fun with Eminem, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, etc. The ADs are more fun with Lourde, Adele, Jason Mraz, Take 6, etc. IMO both are great, high quality cans. It just depends on what I'm listening to as to which one I choose. And the reason I own both and plan to keep both! P.s. My original post was just responding to and disagreeing with the comment that the TH600 was inferior to the AD. IMO both are great and on the same level. They're just different.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #5,775 of 9,071
The ADs are also just as "fun" but not in the same way as the TH600s IMO. The TH600s are a bit more fun with Eminem, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, etc. The ADs are more fun with Lourde, Adele, Jason Mraz, Take 6, etc. IMO both are great, high quality cans. It just depends on what I'm listening to as to which one I choose. And the reason I own both and plan to keep both! P.s. My original post was just responding to and disagreeing with the comment that the TH600 was inferior to the AD. IMO both are great and on the same level. They're just different.

Yeah, it's just a preference thing.  If you're a basshead, the Th600 is the answer................tho the Alpha when fed right (in my case a vintage high power amp) can thump with the best of them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back