MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,611 of 9,071
I was going to suggest Audirvana Plus....until you said no. XD

I use A+'s parametric EQ from time to time and it should work in iTunes with the iTunes integration mode enabled.

A helpful comment though.  I'm not opposed to new player software.  Especially if I can use my iTunes library, or at least the music folders.  iTunes is a pig, but it is a (mostly) known pig to me…  That's why I like bitperfect - it just steals the music from iTunes, but uses iTunes as the interface.  That is also why I mentioned Audirvana and Pure Music.  I'm really looking for a way to add a good eq to itunes+bitperfect.  I guess I'd be ok with ditching bit perfect, though.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #5,612 of 9,071
I love that you can tune the bass on these. If you lose track of the number of turns you've made, how easy is it to go back to 0 turns and bring it back to factory shipped settings?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,613 of 9,071
I love that you can tune the bass on these. If you lose track of the number of turns you've made, how easy is it to go back to 0 turns and bring it back to factory shipped settings?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am actually curious as to how many people have played with the settings. 

I know I am not going to touch mine. Even if I do hear a gain in a certain area that I like (I probably would not as I am incredibly happy as is), I would most likely play mind games with myself. I would probably start questioning if I turned it too far or not enough, or perhaps I did not do the turns equally enough. Then I probably would panic and try to get it back to stock, but even if I did get it to back to stock it probably would not be the same any more. Not that I am bad with at playing around with stuff, but I tend to drive my self crazy with these types of settings. I can fiddle with my paintball guns for hours trying to find the perfect tune.  For me it is best to let the ADs be.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #5,614 of 9,071
  A helpful comment though.  I'm not opposed to new player software.  Especially if I can use my iTunes library, or at least the music folders.  iTunes is a pig, but it is a (mostly) known pig to me…  That's why I like bitperfect - it just steals the music from iTunes, but uses iTunes as the interface.  That is also why I mentioned Audirvana and Pure Music.  I'm really looking for a way to add a good eq to itunes+bitperfect.  I guess I'd be ok with ditching bit perfect, though.

i ended up buying A+. from my trials, it was much easier to use and much easier on the eyes than JRiver (talk about ugly). i don't use EQ very often (though i think i ought to) and heard that the parametric EQ on A+ is actually very good. we'll see...

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #5,615 of 9,071
matte black? meh...

i like the current red...would love the BRG, but don't need yet another pair of black headphones. 

Haven't visited this thread for a week or so....but I think a matt dark army green would look the part but also be unique to me speakers...rather than cloning any other make. I also think a really dark bronze/coffee bean shade in gloss could also become another recognisable Mr speakers signature, as well as appearing stealth like and classy enough. matt black could end up looking a little home mod!

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #5,616 of 9,071
Some of my thinking was to do with what colour alpha dog aligns to now, most closely...I'd say Fostex 900....the danger of matt black is that it aligns most closely with....You guessed it, Fostex again...but the 600.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #5,617 of 9,071

Due to the comments, Here is the " English to Head-Fi translation ":

------

On Head-Fi, due to the presence of many newbies (which is a good thing), most of the talk about headphones is regarding bass and treble.

However, if you only pay attention to the amount of bass and treble, you miss the more important differences between headphones (amount and quality of small details, realistic individual instrument sound, i.e. "timbre", overall dynamics, crispness of attack, lack of after-ringing).

So, don't pay so much attention to bass and treble quantity, since you can take care of that in a good digital software EQ, such as a VST plugin for Jriver or Foobar (or use Jriver's built-in parametric EQ).

The real benefit of the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog is the clean response at all frequencies.   There is a minimum of blurring of the sound by after-ringing.

Some people are so used to the excess sound energy created by poor drivers with mediocre tuning, that they find the Mad Dog or Alpha Dog "dull" and "slow" when in actuality, they are hearing more of the original recording, because all of the false extra sound energy created by the after-ringing is obscuring the small details.  But that false extra sound energy at the end of notes is "exciting" - it sounds "bright" and "zippy", and so losing that false crap seems "dull" in comparison.

(That false sound energy is like going to a Walmart or Best Buy and finding that the TV sales guy has turned up the color and sharpness too high on the TVs, because it looks eye-catching at first glance.)

I hope that is helpful to some...

with all respect to your opinion if the original album is flat and boring and you can have headphones that enhance things in my opinion is good not bad, bass mids and treble are important so if there is one of this not to the par then in my opinion this could be an issue. I really did not hear alpha dogs if it was not only to the bass issue then I would have bought it straight away. I hate messing with the driver every time as this will become a constant thing for me every time I hear a song , I will find myself wondering wethere i should increase or decrease the bass by adjusting the driver.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #5,618 of 9,071

I was going to suggest Audirvana Plus....until you said no. XD

I use A+'s parametric EQ from time to time and it should work in iTunes with the iTunes integration mode enabled.

Do you know if there is a similar program to bitperfect for windows machines?

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #5,619 of 9,071
  Do you know if there is a similar program to bitperfect for windows machines?

question may be better posed to one of the computer music threads 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,621 of 9,071
i really started to get headaches from reading reviews, and in my country there are no shops where you can try headphones to see if you like them or not, so I must do an extra job in reading.

AT first I considered buying the alphdog then I backed up as I read its bass is not as bassy as ath m50, so then I started reading about other headphones, but I keep coming back here, and I would like to know an honest opinion as there are not so much reviews on youtube, how is the bass, and if you adjust the bass from the driver to add extra bass how will it compare to m50

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #5,622 of 9,071
I was in the first batch of upgrades and just received my Alpha Dog.  Looks nice.  I'll see how it sounds just as soon as I build an XLR -> TRS adapter for it.  (I got the XLR version because I have a Mini-X and a Geek Pulse X on the way ... and it just so happens that the parts I was waiting on to build the adapter showed up today as well, so I have a project to do tonight!)

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #5,625 of 9,071
What you get is black, like this... 

EDIT: Also, some good news: we are pulling in delivery estimates. Even though Jan was our best month ever, our new facility is really improving our output and we've been able to shorten lead time to under 4 weeks for the current Alphas.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back