MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #8,956 of 9,071
We are now sold out of Mad Dogs and Mad Dog Pros, the end is getting really close for Alphas.  

Last call!

Is it still possible to upgrade from AD to AP?

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #8,957 of 9,071
Is it still possible to upgrade from AD to AP?

We haven't been doing Prime upgrades, however we will offer this service within a couple of months.  The reliability problem we had with the upgrades has been resolved; we've successfully done tests with a number of willing customers with no issues.  We'll offer upgrades for some time, and we'll give a minimum of 6 months notice should we terminate the upgrade program.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #8,958 of 9,071

We haven't been doing Prime upgrades, however we will offer this service within a couple of months.  The reliability problem we had with the upgrades has been resolved; we've successfully done tests with a number of willing customers with no issues.  We'll offer upgrades for some time, and we'll give a minimum of 6 months notice should we terminate the upgrade program.

Sounds good and thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #8,959 of 9,071

Oh that's really excellent news.

I hope I'm paying attention when the time comes as I really like my Alpha Dogs and would love to hear the Primes.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #8,960 of 9,071
  Oh that's really excellent news.

I hope I'm paying attention when the time comes as I really like my Alpha Dogs and would love to hear the Primes.

If you want, go to our website and you can sign up to our newsletter (footer of the home page), we'll announce upgrades via our newsletter.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #8,961 of 9,071
Is there a tentative date for when you'll start doing upgrades?

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #8,962 of 9,071
I'm a bit late to this party but I'm really enjoying the Alpha Dogs tonight. This is my first real "wow" moment since I first got the 400i. I think the isolation has something to do with it, but the detail retrieval is surpassing both the 400i and X00 by a healthy margin. Curious which one I will prefer a few weeks from now.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #8,963 of 9,071
I'm a bit late to this party but I'm really enjoying the Alpha Dogs tonight. This is my first real "wow" moment since I first got the 400i. I think the isolation has something to do with it, but the detail retrieval is surpassing both the 400i and X00 by a healthy margin. Curious which one I will prefer a few weeks from now.

The AD's can be quite intoxicating! I'm curious to know which comes out ahead for you too.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #8,964 of 9,071

Got a 400i myself and have been considering buying the Alpha Dogs as I'm going to start needing the isolation in a few months when my work condition changes.  How would you compare the two so far?

I'm tempted to wait and see what Dan does in this price bracket with his fully in house designs.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #8,965 of 9,071

I'm traveling this weekend but I'll listen to both with fresh ears next week. My five minute comparison from last night using a Magni 2 had me preferring the sense of immersion the AD provided. I also heard some details in music that I hadn't noticed before (which was truly surprising).

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #8,966 of 9,071
I'm traveling this weekend but I'll listen to both with fresh ears next week. My five minute comparison from last night using a Magni 2 had me preferring the sense of immersion the AD provided. I also heard some details in music that I hadn't noticed before (which was truly surprising).

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #8,967 of 9,071

is it the hifiman he400i?

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #8,968 of 9,071
2 weeks since I put my order in for the Alpha Dogs and I'm dyinggg...hopefully they aren't overhyped and the treble wont be as harsh as people make it sound.
Enjoying my HD600's and 598's in the meanwhile though. :) also will definetly post a review of them since there are only 6 reviews?! :O

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,969 of 9,071
  2 weeks since I put my order in for the Alpha Dogs and I'm dyinggg...hopefully they aren't overhyped and the treble wont be as harsh as people make it sound.
Enjoying my HD600's and 598's in the meanwhile though. :) also will definetly post a review of them since there are only 6 reviews?! :O

I don't find the treble harsh at all.  Granted I was basically coming right on an HD700 but even now compared to my X2's or 560's I think the treble is fine.  I found the 560 to be the brighter headphone truth be told.

The Alpha Dog to me is about the closest I've heard to what I'd consider reference quality.  With bass that extends lower then most dynamics I've heard.

And it's got good soundstage.  While not as airy as my 560's I felt like imaging and separation was on par if not better.  It's a great closed gaming headphone if you have any plans to use it for that.  

Anyway I really want to upgrade it to the Alpha Prime.  Not because I dislike it thought it's because I like it so much. 

Hopefully you end up liking yours.  For me I'd go as far as saying the AD was the first headphone I've loved since I bought my 518's way back when I first got into this hobby.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #8,970 of 9,071
Harsh treble in the Alpha Dog?  No way.  It's a dark sounding headphone, not a bright or harsh one.  If someone described it as harsh, I'd inspect their signal chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back