1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599
601 602 603 604 605
Next

Last
  1. swspiers

Ah. The Primes are more revealing, more picky with sub-par recordings. Ont he warm side of neutral, I guess, with more even frequency response and much deeper bass extension.

The 400i's are just fun. They sound great with all my amps, and all of my music. They're just missing that last 10% of detail and nuance that the Primes reveal. I feel like I have all the bases covered owning them both.

2. Delayeed
    Confirmed with a Frequency sweep that 5-7k region is seriously lacking. (3-4db) Can anyone confirm that this is normal? Doesn't seem to happen with HD600's

3. swspiers
    '
    I don't have time to find a chart, but it is normal, if I remember right. Our hearing is very sensitive in that region, and most hp's I am aware of have a dip in that area. Except the HD 800, which if I remember right has a bit of a boost.

If I'm wrong, the tech guys will correct me.

How loudly do you listen, BTW? Humans have a contoured frequency response, but if you listen loudly, I can understand where that dip would be annoying.

edit: here's a graph from Innerfidelity:

Fostex_T50RPMk3_Graph_CompareMk3Mk2MrSpeakersAlphaPrime.jpg

4. Delayeed
    Oh wow so I was right, that dip is huge! Well at least there is nothing wrong with my alphas then. So reliefed :D Just gotta get used to them more now I guess. Thanks for the reply. :)

I listen quite loud now since I'm trying to hear what these really sound like. Been messing around with different Dot positions which
    seem to help. Time to listen normal/quiet for a change now haha.

5. swspiers

Yeah. I know it sounds like no fun, but within a few days you can get used to 80 to 85 dB, which is safe for a few hours. But man, get above 95 dB and it's a good way to get tinnitus or other hearing loss that is quite a bummer to one's headphone habit.

Listen safely, my friend. And rawk on!

6. Delayeed
    Yeah for sure. Same to you! [​IMG]

7. Delayeed
    Last update I promise!: So yeah the Alpha Dogs are pretty much dead natural.

Recorded some stereo acoustical guitar and compared with the HD 600 and Alpha Dogs.

600 seemed to add some extra sparkle and edge which isn't there when comparing to just playing the guitar.

Alpha Dogs seemed to sound 'exactly' the same when playing. Adding nothing and taking nothing. 

It is weird though how inconsistent different songs sound. Some might have sparkly vocals and some others sound really lifeless and dull. (most sound slightly dull)
    Might be just that they are so flat that they reveal things like that. 

Will write a review hopefully by next week once I get used to the sound signature.

8. musiclvr
    Very cool insight! I look forward to your review.

9. swspiers

You have it backwards: you have to promise MORE updates, not the last one!

I did the same test with my bass guitar when I first got them. I had the same reaction.

10. Delayeed
    That's intresting, its awesome to test on your own so that you know for sure what's going on with your gear, because pretty much every instrument in music is EQ'd and compressed to some extent haha. One headphone might sound more "natural" on those songs but in reality they might sound natural only because of the EQ put on them.

11. Delayeed
    Wondering if a Prime upgrade would give a nice 3-10khz boost, a more engaging, alive sound.

12. Delayeed
    Posted my Alpha Dog review now :) whew that took a while.

13. GTMarauder46

Where was it posted at? Sorry I don't see it, thanks.

14. Delayeed
    Hmm I hope links are allowed here. http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/15589

15. Goldlion973
    Wow... have a pair of these sitting in their box brand new. Just went onto Mrspeakers site to find they're no longer in production! Does this mean they're now rareified and worth their weight in gold? To be honest I've been considering a trade :-/

First

Back
590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599
601 602 603 604 605
Next

Last