MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #6,451 of 9,071
  The Alpha Dog and Signature Pro/DJ leak practically nil if you are not blasting music up to very high volume levels. By comparison to both my TH600 can be slightly heard across the room from me listening to them, as long as the room has no TV/Radio or anything on. Sitting next to me you could understand the music. I believe I listen at a loud level compared to some on here, the AD or Signature headphones cannot be heard from even next to me when worn unless they were at very very high volume - which was too loud for me.

thanks for your feedback

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #6,452 of 9,071
I just ordered the Alpha Dogs.....much looking forward to them!

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #6,453 of 9,071
  Allow me to ask again (sorry) before I do the plunge for an AlphaDOG:   I still need to chose between a LCD-XC, SigPRO  and an AlphaDOG  to complement my TH-900 when I cannot afford to disturb the people around.(in very quiet environment)
-->  So, could someone confirm that the Alpha  Leak much less than LCD-XC  ( or even a SigPRO ) ? 

thanks a lot for your advices...

The Alpha Dog and Signature Pro/DJ leak practically nil if you are not blasting music up to very high volume levels. By comparison to both my TH600 can be slightly heard across the room from me listening to them, as long as the room has no TV/Radio or anything on. Sitting next to me you could understand the music. I believe I listen at a loud level compared to some on here, the AD or Signature headphones cannot be heard from even next to me when worn unless they were at very very high volume - which was too loud for me.

Agreed. AD's nor the SigPros leak at all unless you are almost blowing your ears off!!! :p
Hopefully will get to try the LCD-XCs soon but I think they don't leak too much either.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #6,454 of 9,071
LCD-XC leak a lot.  The wood shell covering the rear of the drivers isn't as robust and sealing as something like a big solid plastic cup without a seam.  The massive Audeze LCD driver produces a lot of sound energy outwards.  Isolation wise though, the XC are pretty decent.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #6,455 of 9,071
  If you are just plugging them into a computer, that explains a lot. You need a decent headphone amp with POWER. At least a Schiit Asgard 2, or better the Lyr that was made to make sure Orthos  have enough power. These ain't no ear buds.

Has anyone tried the Lyr/Alpha Dog combo? I ultimately gave up on the Lyr/Mad Dog combo because it was too dark, regardless of which tube I used. I still have the Lyr, so am hoping it pairs better with the Alphas. Plus, I like having a bad-ass looking tube amp on my work deskspace. People ask what it is is and I am like, "What, you've never seen glowing vacuum tubes before?"

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,457 of 9,071
I now have my Alpha Dog for more than a month and I'm still a fan!

However a small note : I find the angle of the pads too pronounced. I spend my time pressing on it to make the headphones parallel to my head, which is a little annoying.

Do you have any ideas about this?  But I do not think there is a satisfactory solution (I've tried to adjust the pressure of the headband yet). It comes from the pads.

Never heard this before but perhaps experiment with moving the headband a little further in your head, or rotating the pads a bit so they lay better for you. One owner a long time ago noted that rotating the pad so the interior holes back-edge follows the angle of the ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6,458 of 9,071
  LCD-XC leak a lot.  The wood shell covering the rear of the drivers isn't as robust and sealing as something like a big solid plastic cup without a seam.  The massive Audeze LCD driver produces a lot of sound energy outwards.  Isolation wise though, the XC are pretty decent.

Well, that's disappointing...

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,459 of 9,071
 If you are just plugging them into a computer, that explains a lot. You need a decent headphone amp with POWER. At least a Schiit Asgard 2, or better the Lyr that was made to make sure Orthos  have enough power. These ain't no ear buds.

Has anyone tried the Lyr/Alpha Dog combo? I ultimately gave up on the Lyr/Mad Dog combo because it was too dark, regardless of which tube I used. I still have the Lyr, so am hoping it pairs better with the Alphas. Plus, I like having a bad-ass looking tube amp on my work deskspace. People ask what it is is and I am like, "What, you've never seen glowing vacuum tubes before?"

I tried demo pair of Alpha Dogs with Bifrost Uber / Lyr with 3 sets of tubes but preferred them with WA7 with EH tubes. I think it's just a personal preference

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #6,460 of 9,071

I'm using Alpha/Lyr/Bifrost Uber and it's fantastic with everything from vocal, through orchestral to fast and furious metal... 

Insulation is fantastic, leakage next to nil and the quality is amazing...

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,461 of 9,071
Ok. Normally I take a lot of what is said on this site with a pretty large grain of salt.  Especially after the major buyer's remorse I had with my Ultrasone Pro 900s after all of the hype about how "great" they were with movies, games and rock/metal.  The sibilance on them just make them unbearable to me for more than twenty minute stints.  The mids are also so recessed as to not even be a factor.

There are also many claims that you need some $1000+ amp to make headphones sound good, as well as diamond encrusted,  moon dust sprinkled platinum wired cables.

Abandoning all sanity, I decided to buy a Lyr (I have actually wanted a discrete amp for a while anyway though.  My last was just the Fiio E9).

AND HOLY **** do these sound AMAZING with it.  I mean, holy ****.  They went from "What" when listening to them on my Windows 8 system with drivers that I had to change (which made these simply sound "decent") to the best sounding headphones I've ever owned.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #6,463 of 9,071
God.  I can't get over what a drastic difference this is from my first impression.  Tool sounded so anemic initially, and now...everything just sounds so glorious.  The bass is so full and punchy and the drums sound like...drums!

And apparently, the tubes that came with this aren't even really all that great compared to what I could get for even $60.  Still, even with the default tubes, it's an enormous improvement.  This makes me a full believer in $200 - $600 desktop amps.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #6,464 of 9,071
  God.  I can't get over what a drastic difference this is from my first impression.  Tool sounded so anemic initially, and now...everything just sounds so glorious.  The bass is so full and punchy and the drums sound like...drums!

And apparently, the tubes that came with this aren't even really all that great compared to what I could get for even $60.  Still, even with the default tubes, it's an enormous improvement.  This makes me a full believer in $200 - $600 desktop amps.

It takes a bit for the ears/brains get used to their sound... Trust me, I still feel like they are underwhelming the first few minutes I start using them. I have (with a couple of others head-fi'ers) discussed this particular point before, especially when coming from dynamic cans.

From my own review:

As usual, the first time I put the Alpha Dogs over my ears I knew I had to give it a bit of time so my brain
could play "catch-up". For some reason, every time I use any dynamic headphone (be it the Momentum, Signature DJ, Dido D901, etc.) and jump to the Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs I ALWAYS find the headphones underwhelming!!! I have mentioned this a few times before on the Mad Dog threads and I think this is very important because even though I've had the Mad Dogs for a year plus now, I still experience the same thing (this doesn't really happen when
I compare or use other headphones). So I don't think "quick 5 minute impressions" work well with these 2 cans. 

Not sure why it works like that for me (and some others) but I believe it to be true! :p

Right now I'm using the SigDJs and I'm pretty sure that if I jump back to the ADs, same thing will happen no matter which track is playing.

Glad you are enjoying them!

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,465 of 9,071

It takes a bit for the ears/brains get used to their sound... Trust me, I still feel like they are underwhelming the first few minutes I start using them. I have (with a couple of others head-fi'ers) discussed this particular point before, especially when coming from dynamic cans.

From my own review:

Not sure why it works like that for me (and some others) but I believe it to be true! :p

Right now I'm using the SigDJs and I'm pretty sure that if I jump back to the ADs, same thing will happen no matter which track is playing.

Glad you are enjoying them!

Trust me, it's not a matter of getting used to them, for me anyway.  I had to go through that when I first started using my Phonak IEMs.  I was coming from using some crappy Sen 250hd for years where I had to heavily EQ everything (and a warm sound at that).  I haven't touched EQ on anything for about four years now.

My initial impression with these wasn't so much an issue with me having to adjust to them at all.  It really was a problem with my STX drivers.  I was using those that were supposed to be compatible with Windows 8, when in fact, the drivers for Windows 7 suited them much more.  After moaning about how bad they sounded to me, I plugged them in to my Windows 7 system for the first time (which is what I should have done before worrying about something being wrong with them) there was a pretty sizeable improvement.  The current improvement is a couple steps beyond that.

While I understand what you're talking about, that definitely was not my issue with these at all.  The quality of bass, impact, punchiness, fullness etc is drastically different.  It's like there was a huge infusion of power.  This is coming from using some DT880s for years as well (which I love, although they do tend to slant the bass and sometimes muddy things a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back