MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4,741 of 9,071
how do they do with poor mastered\recorded music?
alot of my music is kinda like that(black metal)

Badly. The Alpha Dog exposes flaws quite clearly, to the point that I thought it was an issue with the Alpha Dog. In short, you may find yourself throwing a lot of music away just because of the Alpha Dog.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4,743 of 9,071
I think it's less to do with the equipment and more to do with their own sonic preferences. Like over emphasized treble to give the effect of more clarity. With an already clear headphone, it just sounds sibilant and artificial.

That or they may be using some like Beats by dre to master their tracks...

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,744 of 9,071
Badly. The Alpha Dog exposes flaws quite clearly, to the point that I thought it was an issue with the Alpha Dog. In short, you may find yourself throwing a lot of music away just because of the Alpha Dog.

HERE HERE!
I second this

tried some sh__y material that I listen to sometimes - live recordings of my friends band  - the music's great but the sound is AWFUL...
The Alpha's lemme know it right out the gate!

Too revealing for that stuff.
First-world problems

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #4,746 of 9,071

This is an interesting issue, when the listener has more resolving equipment then those who created it.

From first hand experience, I can tell you that is sometimes true...

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4,747 of 9,071

I just received my Alpha Dogs on the 23rd. What a Christmas present! I listen to a lot of acoustic and contemporary jazz. I own HE-500s as well. After the first 8 hours or so listening (and comparing to the HiFiMans) I would say the Alpha Dogs sound like what a closed HE-500 should sound like. IMO the ADs are a smidgeon less spacious or airy sounding as the HE-500 nor are the ADs as "sparkly" in the treble region but I'm really hearing very minor differences here. And the fact that the ADs are closed allowing me to listen with my wife in the same room and she doesn't bug me to go to another room and I'm getting 99.5% of my HE-500 for $100 less than the HE-500s, I'm in headphone listening heaven loving the ADs as my new closed favorite. I also own AH-D2000s and Edition 8s. IMO other than the superior bass impact of the AH-D2000s, the Alpha Dogs are more "musical" headphones. Color me amazed!

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #4,748 of 9,071
I just received my Alpha Dogs on the 23rd. What a Christmas present! I listen to a lot of acoustic and contemporary jazz. I own HE-500s as well. After the first 8 hours or so listening (and comparing to the HiFiMans) I would say the Alpha Dogs sound like what a closed HE-500 should sound like. IMO the ADs are a smidgeon less spacious or airy sounding as the HE-500 nor are the ADs as "sparkly" in the treble region but I'm really hearing very minor differences here. And the fact that the ADs are closed allowing me to listen with my wife in the same room and she doesn't bug me to go to another room and I'm getting 99.5% of my HE-500 for $100 less than the HE-500s, I'm in headphone listening heaven loving the ADs as my new closed favorite. I also own AH-D2000s and Edition 8s. IMO other than the superior bass impact of the AH-D2000s, the Alpha Dogs are more "musical" headphones. Color me amazed!

What are you driving your ADs with? I've been using my pair almost exclusively driven by my customised Zana Deux and occasionally straight out of my Invicta. It seems likes good quality clean power to drive it. I've not tried from my HM-901 yet.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #4,749 of 9,071
What are you driving your ADs with? I've been using my pair almost exclusively driven by my customised Zana Deux and occasionally straight out of my Invicta. It seems likes good quality clean power to drive it. I've not tried from my HM-901 yet.

I'm driving the ADs balanced with a HiFiM8 and balanced with a HM-901. Both have more than enough headroom for the balanced AD in my opinion. And both sound wonderfully neutral with just the right amount of bass IMO from the Alpha Dogs.I was a little worried because I really like the bass impact of my Denons but the Alpha Dogs do bass just right. At least for the acoustic and contemporary jazz I listen to.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #4,750 of 9,071
I'm driving the ADs balanced with a HiFiM8 and balanced with a HM-901. Both have more than enough headroom for the balanced AD in my opinion. And both sound wonderfully neutral with just the right amount of bass IMO from the Alpha Dogs.I was a little worried because I really like the bass impact of my Denons but the Alpha Dogs do bass just right. At least for the acoustic and contemporary jazz I listen to.

I LOVE using the AD's with my HiFi-M8 via 4-pin XLR (iDevice version) Though I've been meaning to write @mgoodman  - OFF TOPIC - but I don't hear changes in the ohm switch in balanced mode - only via 1/4" and 3.5mm - and a few of us heard this -

But that's a terrific pairing!
I also rock it w/ my AK120 - or my E.A.R HP4 - that sounds SWEET!

After continuing to be wow'd by em, I'm psyched I remembered to give the AD's
a Writers Choice Award at Positive Feedback.

I had some fools ask - "how could you give awards to the LCD-XC AND the Alpha Dogs??
I don't think I need to explain it - as I love BOTH

and w/ the ALO Island!!
!

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #4,751 of 9,071

In my opinion, based on my preferences and biases, the AD's make poorly mastered material sound really poorly mastered.  I pretty much reserve the AD's for the best of my collection.  For everything else, I have my Grado's.

However, I do think I need to listen to some Bathory, or some old Celtic Frost with the AD's.  You know, to round out this opinion...

i'm not listening to the raw cave metal, but still compare to genres like pop or electronics it is harsh a bit.
something like this:
http://sadhaka108.bandcamp.com/album/terma-2
and upwards(better recorded\mastered) i think its the lowest i can go as for "raw black".
http://i4.minus.com/iGpBq9axhdtPv.png

thanks for the reply's.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #4,752 of 9,071
That's my impression as well. the Alpha Dog doesn't take bright recordings too well, in that it sounds zingy, which was the only real flaw I find in the Alpha Dog's sound signature. Not it's fault per se, but it basically makes many songs harder to listen to.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,753 of 9,071
That's my impression as well. the Alpha Dog doesn't take bright recordings too well, in that it sounds zingy, which was the only real flaw I find in the Alpha Dog's sound signature. Not it's fault per se, but it basically makes many songs harder to listen to.

even what i linked in the picture? if so what can i do? is there any alternative if at all?
i really hoped for this to be my next cans, now i'm clueless.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #4,755 of 9,071

You can try the Mad Dog or pair the Alpha Dog with tube amp to make the combo darker than usual I think.

That looks like a good idea. I was already thinking about modding the Alphas...

Quote:
  even what i linked in the picture? if so what can i do? is there any alternative if at all?
i really hoped for this to be my next cans, now i'm clueless.

What amp are you using the Alpha Dog with?

Maybe Dan (MrSpeakers) could give us a hint on how to tame the trebles for the ones with more sensitive ears, like myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back