MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,076 of 9,071
anyone tried them with portable amps like the fiio e11? Are these just meant for desktop setup, i was thinking of getting them for just on the go. I don't think they would work with my WA2 but i would consider buying them if i could use them with my cowon and fiio. 

I've got a few portable amps to compare for the Tour Dog: FiiO E12, JDS Labs C5, O2 for those crazy people who bring 6-inch rigs for their portable setup, Project-P custom amp, and maybe a Tangentsoft CMoy.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,077 of 9,071
I've got a few portable amps to compare for the Tour Dog: FiiO E12, JDS Labs C5, O2 for those crazy people who bring 6-inch rigs for their portable setup, Project-P custom amp, and maybe a Tangentsoft CMoy.

you will compare when you get the headphone or do you already have it?

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,078 of 9,071
So if we're talking about soundstage rivaling most open phones, why are people disappointed that the AD doesn't sound as open as HD600 to them? I don't doubt for a second that everyone here is telling the truth, it's just pretty strange that results are so mixed.

I hate head-fi sometimes. There are just too many variables! I'll probably buy these headphones though... I don't really care about soundstage because I'm a metal head 
ph34r.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,079 of 9,071
  The ADs are very neutral but there is still room for improvement. I find myself needing to EQ up 10KHz by 3dB and EQ down 3KHz by 3dB.

I usually need to EQ other headphones a lot more to reach neutral sound. The fact that the AD needs so little EQ is a testament to its neutrality.

LOL!  Being a 50-year-old bass player, I can barely hear above 10K.  Too many years standing next to crash cymbals, I guess.

I don't have any test equipment, so any EQ I would do right now would be guess work.  But I'm with you regarding other headphones, and the lack of a need to EQ these very much, if at all.  The more I listen, the more I like them straight-up.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3,080 of 9,071
  So if we're talking about soundstage rivaling most open phones, why are people disappointed that the AD doesn't sound as open as HD600 to them? I don't doubt for a second that everyone here is telling the truth, it's just pretty strange that results are so mixed.

I hate head-fi sometimes. There are just too many variables! I'll probably buy these headphones though... I don't really care about soundstage because I'm a metal head 
ph34r.gif

Yes the more you read the more confused you get, best idea is to just buy them and see yourself :D If they are closed headphones that compare to the the HD600 then that sounds good to me.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,081 of 9,071
Yes the more you read the more confused you get, best idea is to just buy them and see yourself :D If they are closed headphones that compare to the the HD600 then that sounds good to me.

Closer to a closed 650 with luscious bass that extends much lower. I know I'm just another confusing opinion to add to the pile, but I would never go 600 or 650 over the AD. After leaving RMAF there's only a few hp's I keep thinking about in my head and the AD is one of them.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3,082 of 9,071

ph34r.gif

It's because a lot of people here don't understand audiophile terminologies enough to distinguish between distinct traits: soundstage, openness / air, imaging, separation / layering.

Being strong in one of those aspects does not automatically mean exceptional performance in any of the other 3 traits, but for someone who clumps those traits together, that concept is hard to grasp.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,083 of 9,071
It's because a lot of people here don't understand audiophile terminologies enough to distinguish between distinct traits: soundstage, openness / air, imaging, separation / layering.

Being strong in one of those aspects does not automatically mean exceptional performance in any of the other 3 traits, but for someone who clumps those traits together, that concept is hard to grasp.

I will go out on a limb and say that most people that comment on soundstage don't really understand it. I feel like I would need to hear a specific recording that I really understood (including recording room and technique) to properly comment on soundstage, which is why I never do.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,085 of 9,071
Closer to a closed 650 with luscious bass that extends much lower. I know I'm just another confusing opinion to add to the pile, but I would never go 600 or 650 over the AD. After leaving RMAF there's only a few hp's I keep thinking about in my head and the AD is one of them.

The HD600/HD650 are far too slow and lacking in sub bass be good for anything other than relaxing music.... zzzzzzzz

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3,086 of 9,071
The HD600/HD650 are far too slow and lacking in sub bass be good for anything other than relaxing music.... zzzzzzzz

Yes, but you are a planar owner so you've been let in on that secret shhhhhhhhh...

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #3,088 of 9,071

I've been playing this audiophile game a while now and I still don't understand half the terminologies that get tossed around. I've kinda created my own definitions in my head, but those don't necessarily mesh with others either.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,089 of 9,071
I don't really understand these comments...

If the belief is that not very many people understand basic audiophile terminology than why ask for impressions. I don't have a problem with people feeling in such a way but there isn't any reason to act conceded about it, dismissing everyone's impressions as being hype. If you want to hear what these headphones sound like so you can throw up your perfect description of their sound than stop being a cheap ass and buy them.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,090 of 9,071
Mang, that's what all the Beats by Dre people say. "They ARE really good, your just too poor to buy one yourself!"

Regarding terminology, I've been using this as a guide. It might be useful for some viewers.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/

you will compare when you get the headphone or do you already have it?

When I get the headphone as part of the headphone tour that mrspeakers is generously hosting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back