MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #3,106 of 9,071
Sometimes I think people would rather post impressions/opinions of gear than actually use it. I think for one week a year, Jude should shut down the site and encourage head-fiers to get off the keyboard and listen to some music. It'd be like Ramadan/Lent for audiophiles. I'm joking, sort of. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #3,109 of 9,071
Sometimes I think people would rather post impressions/opinions of gear than actually use it. I think for one week a year, Jude should shut down the site and encourage head-fiers to get off the keyboard and listen to some music. It'd be like Ramadan/Lent for audiophiles. I'm joking, sort of. 

Lol I like it

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #3,110 of 9,071
Guys, with all these impressions/hype/miscommunication/disappointment/accusations,
it is time for headfi to start a project , or adopt a test reference cd;

Where each song will have a commentary about how big the soundstage is,
Where is the drum set, where the singer is...5 ft to the right etc.
A few diff genre....

A demo of sonic descriptionss....airiness...separation...depth...

A cd that each headfier could use to base their impressions upon...
With their diff setups, n cables..yes n USB cables..:p

(Otherwise...Jude will still hv to come out n defend his next 'find' )

------------

On the AD, I guess each setup would affect the perceived soundstage...
I dun think Jude was hyping anything when he made his initial statement.
Peace to u Jude.:rolleyes:

Let me save some money, or sell one of my cans n hear how my setup would perform on the AD.
Maybe the T1 will hv to be sacrificed...sob sob.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #3,111 of 9,071
The T50RP driver doesn't need burn in. I've owned the stock T50RP and other T50RP mods (Paradox and Thunderpants). None of them change with burn in and neither will the Alpha Dogs.

Would you mind comparing the Alphas with the Paradox? Even if only in terms of neutrality and soundstage. Thanks :D

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,112 of 9,071
Guys, with all these impressions/hype/miscommunication/disappointment/accusations,
it is time for headfi to start a project , or adopt a test reference cd;

Where each song will have a commentary about how big the soundstage is,
Where is the drum set, where the singer is...5 ft to the right etc.
A few diff genre....

A demo of sonic descriptionss....airiness...separation...depth...

A cd that each headfier could use to base their impressions upon...
With their diff setups, n cables..yes n USB cables..
tongue.gif

(Otherwise...Jude will still hv to come out n defend his next 'find' )

On the AD, I guess each setup would affect the perceived soundstage...
I dun think Jude was hyping anything when he made his initial statement.
Peace to u Jude.
rolleyes.gif

Let me save some money, or sell one of my cans n hear how my setup would perform on the AD.
Maybe the T1 will hv to be sacrificed...sob sob.

Already done:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/476089/head-fi-and-hdtracks-david-chesky-collaborate-to-assemble-a-headphone-system-test-album

Excerpt from page 7 of the liner notes:
5 - Out-Of-Head Imaging

"Gadamaylin"
Of the Marsh and the Moon - I-Ching

The birds and low murmuring voices first heard on "Gadamaylin" should sound far away, well outside your headphones. Later, the high ringing tones should float free in space. Through the track, you should hear a marketed contrast between close and distant sounds. "Gadamaylin" also has remarkable front and rear spaciousness.

And if you didn't know, I-Ching is actually a classical text:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iching

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3,113 of 9,071
Would you mind compaeing the Alphas with the Paradox? Even if only in terms of neutrality and soundstage. Thanks
biggrin.gif

The Alpha dogs sound quicker, more accurate, and the bass has more definition and rumble when the recording calls for it.

The Paradox is recessed in the 3KHz region (upper mids). Alpha Dogs has some upper mids emphasis (more upper mids than what I believe is neutral). The Alpha Dogs has improved bass texture. The Alpha Dogs seem slightly recessed at 10KHz. The Paradox has more 10KHz emphasis.

Take this with a grain of salt but from memory I think the Paradox has better soundstage than the Alpha Dogs. I was pretty satisfied with the Paradox soundstage when I owned it, unlike my disatisfacation of the Alpha Dogs soundstage right now.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #3,114 of 9,071
It's done 3 yrs ago....?! I m feeling like a noob.
I suggest there should be a broadcast to all headfiers to download it ,
to enhance their headfi experience learning from each other.
:D

Then there ought to be some rules where, if u want to make a formal Review on headfi..
U have to reference those songs vs what gear u are reviewing..n what u are hearing.

And these songs ought to be used on headfi meets , as first options.

Otherwise the impressions will be all over the place...free for all.

:p

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,115 of 9,071
  Already done:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/476089/head-fi-and-hdtracks-david-chesky-collaborate-to-assemble-a-headphone-system-test-album

Excerpt from page 7 of the liner notes:

And if you didn't know, I-Ching is actually a classical text:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iching

I listened to this track (I have the 24bit 96KHz version in my music library) on my Alpha Dogs, K701, and HD600.

If I had to rank the headphones in order of biggest soundstage: HD600 = K701> Alpha Dogs. The HD600 and K701 are too similar to tell but the Alpha Dogs are clearly beaten by the HD600 and K701.

Edit: I think it should be important to note that even though the HD600 and K701 have bigger soundstage, the Alpha Dogs seem to have better instrument separation and detail in this song. Also, the bass has more rumble and detailed texture.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,116 of 9,071
It's done 3 yrs ago....?! I m feeling like a noob.
I suggest there should be a broadcast to all headfiers to download it ,
to enhance their headfi experience learning from each other.
:D

Then there ought to be some rules where, if u want to make a formal Review on headfi..
U have to reference those songs vs what gear u are reviewing..n what u are hearing.

And these songs ought to be used on headfi meets , as first options.

Otherwise the impressions will be all over the place...free for all.

:p

Speaking of free for all, the album should be free for all those who've done say a certain number of reviews. Thus making their following reviews even more credible

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3,117 of 9,071
still waiting for an he-500 vs AD write up. I love the 500 right now but wifey can't really take it.. might have to go closed... if you don't like it zowki you should trade it for an he-500... hint hint.

ehhh that didn't feel right saying that... I really like these things.... I'll buy her some earplugs he he.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #3,118 of 9,071
  still waiting for an he-500 vs AD write up. I love the 500 right now but wifey can't really take it.. might have to go closed... if you don't like it zowki you should trade it for an he-500... hint hint.

ehhh that didn't feel right saying that... I really like these things.... I'll buy her some earplugs he he.

I think I'll be keeping my ADs for a while. I was so concentrated on the one flaw (the soundstage) that I almost forgot about all the other good aspects of the AD. I'm starting to appreciate the better detail, neutrality, and instrument separation as I do more 3 way comparisons between my HD600 and K701. The AD's bass is also more deep and authoritative than the HD600 and K701.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,119 of 9,071
downloading the HEADFI HDTRACKS.... will i get a HEADFI teeshirt too... or baeball cap..? 
atsmile.gif

good decision Zowki...i love each of my cans for its quirks. D7k for subbassss on classicals..T1 to clean my ears with its searching clarity...LCD2 for neck training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back