MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #3,121 of 9,071
  Extensive comparison with LFF Paradox needed :) Can I ask you to do it? 

I already made some comparisons earlier in the thread. Are there any other things you would like me to cover?

Quote:
  The Alpha dogs sound quicker, more accurate, and the bass has more definition and rumble when the recording calls for it.

The Paradox is recessed in the 3KHz region (upper mids). Alpha Dogs has some upper mids emphasis (more upper mids than what I believe is neutral). The Alpha Dogs has improved bass texture. The Alpha Dogs seem slightly recessed at 10KHz. The Paradox has more 10KHz emphasis.

Take this with a grain of salt but from memory I think the Paradox has better soundstage than the Alpha Dogs. I was pretty satisfied with the Paradox soundstage when I owned it, unlike my disatisfacation of the Alpha Dogs soundstage right now.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #3,122 of 9,071
zowki

Oh, my bad, I missed it somehow 
blink.gif
 Thanks for your impressions, my wallet feels much better now 
smile.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #3,124 of 9,071
still waiting for an he-500 vs AD write up. I love the 500 right now but wifey can't really take it.. might have to go closed... if you don't like it zowki you should trade it for an he-500... hint hint.

ehhh that didn't feel right saying that... I really like these things.... I'll buy her some earplugs he he.

If you really like the open sound of the 500 the AD will disappoint you. But if you need isolation, I don't think there's a better option for a "closed 500" than the AD.

Miceblue, thanks for the sampler info. I don't know why I haven't read people referencing it in their reviews. We should start a movement toward that end.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3,125 of 9,071
I wanted to ask, how strong is the paint on it?I've only seen pictures.
Would it be able to stand backpack/semi portable action?

It's an automotive paint and finish. If it would scratch a car it'll scratch the cups. That said Dan and a couple others did say earlier in the thread that if properly handled they can be used as portables.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #3,126 of 9,071
Actually, may I ask one more question regarding the Paradox? Which do you think has better detail retrieval or does the "more accurate" cover it?

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3,127 of 9,071
need the mr speaker's Alpha Pads, they are out of stock atm -.-'' , PM me please in case someone wana sell his pads :p 

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #3,128 of 9,071

The HD600/HD650 are far too slow and lacking in sub bass be good for anything other than relaxing music.... zzzzzzzz

Tell that to Scott Hull, the man behind Agoraphobic Nosebleed:

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HULL-STUDIO-1.jpg

Comments like this held me back from the HD600 for a long time which was frustrating because everything I read about them made me think they'd be ideal... except that they are "too slow for fast music" (whatever that means). I eventually said screw it and bought a pair; I honestly couldn't be happier, and I listen to FAST, complex, far from relaxing music every day with them.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,129 of 9,071
  Tell that to Scott Hull, the man behind Agoraphobic Nosebleed:

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HULL-STUDIO-1.jpg

Comments like this held me back from the HD600 for a long time which was frustrating because everything I read about them made me think they'd be ideal... except that they are "too slow for fast music" (whatever that means). I eventually said screw it and bought a pair; I honestly couldn't be happier, and I listen to FAST, complex, far from relaxing music every day with them.

They are good headphones but they are a bit slow sounding to me.... Try some planars and you will see what I mean.... The HD650 are worse than the HD600 for sounding slow though.... HD600 very good headphones... Just a bit slow and lacking sub bass.... Like I said before... lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3,130 of 9,071

Would you mind compaeing the Alphas with the Paradox? Even if only in terms of neutrality and soundstage. Thanks
biggrin.gif

The Alpha dogs sound quicker, more accurate, and the bass has more definition and rumble when the recording calls for it.

The Paradox is recessed in the 3KHz region (upper mids). Alpha Dogs has some upper mids emphasis (more upper mids than what I believe is neutral). The Alpha Dogs has improved bass texture. The Alpha Dogs seem slightly recessed at 10KHz. The Paradox has more 10KHz emphasis.

Take this with a grain of salt but from memory I think the Paradox has better soundstage than the Alpha Dogs. I was pretty satisfied with the Paradox soundstage when I owned it, unlike my disatisfacation of the Alpha Dogs soundstage right now.

The Paradox does not have a bigger soundstage.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,131 of 9,071

They are good headphones but they are a bit slow sounding to me.... Try some planars and you will see what I mean.... The HD650 are worse than the HD600 for sounding slow though.... HD600 very good headphones... Just a bit slow and lacking sub bass.... Like I said before... lol

I have some modded T50RP... yeah, it's a different sound and I like it, but the 600 are ballin' phones!  :)

I really want to hear the ADs. I've been using headphones almost daily for the last 19 years, but only recently got into higher quality headphones. It used to be stock Sony Walkman (tape player) headphones! haha

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3,133 of 9,071
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,134 of 9,071
Why is there no specs sheet for the alpha dog on the mr speakers site? anyone have more detailed info?

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,135 of 9,071
  I have some modded T50RP... yeah, it's a different sound and I like it, but the 600 are ballin' phones!  :)

I really want to hear the ADs. I've been using headphones almost daily for the last 19 years, but only recently got into higher quality headphones. It used to be stock Sony Walkman (tape player) headphones! haha

It is more the HD650 that sound slow at times because they have less treble / upper mids and also a big lump around the midbass which can make them sound quite slow with some types of music (electronic, fast music etc.) HD600 are better for this but still lacking the sub bass.... If you do not listen to genres which require sub bass and speed then you might not even notice anyway, especially compared to Sony Walkman headphones! HD600 are a good complimentary pair of headphones if you own some planars as well.... But once you go planar most dynamic headphones sound somewhat slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back