MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,596 of 9,071
That's cool, though you're still using an incorrect term.
biggrin.gif

Like calling every cola, Pepsi.

The fact of the matter is, here on head-fi those terms have been used interchangeably for years, and will contiune to be used as such.  

Either way - you and every one else knows "exactly" what I meant.

Back to the ADs and how I prefer them over the TH900s 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,597 of 9,071
  Great to hear.  Could be a fun weekend!

Quote:
  I'm happy to say our production volumes are starting to increase.  If you've already received a shipping label your phones will be shipped by Thursday, and starting next week shipments should become pretty much daily.  By next week when you get a shipping label it will mean ships within 2 working days.

Thanks for your patience!

Woah, another Washingtonian? Or are you in DC?

Anyway, Dan, what's the timetable looking like for MD upgrades?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,598 of 9,071
TH-900 was on my short list but I miss the mids of my former HE-500 and LCD-2.  I think I'll be happy with these ADs when they arrive.  I have some Q cable that has Hifiman connectors on it.  Maybe I'll convert it over to to the ADs.  Easy to do?   Simple soldering?  Lets hear how the stock cable sounds first.

The fact of the matter is, here on head-fi those terms have been used interchangeably for years, and will contiune to be used as such.  

biggrin.gif

Huskyland

Woah, another Washingtonian? Or are you in DC?

Anyway, Dan, what's the timetable looking like for MD upgrades?

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,599 of 9,071
  I'm happy to say our production volumes are starting to increase.  If you've already received a shipping label your phones will be shipped by Thursday, and starting next week shipments should become pretty much daily.  By next week when you get a shipping label it will mean ships within 2 working days.

Thanks for your patience!

Very good news 
size]

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,600 of 9,071

biggrin.gif

Could you compare the comfort AD to th900?

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,604 of 9,071
Here are a few impressions of the AD now that I've had a chance to listen for a week.

1. Treble. I prefer a darker treble as I'm sensitive to bright hp's. I was worried that the AD was too bright on the treble...it's not. It is "more extended" than the MD and makes them sound very dark even. But while the AD treble is nicely extended it's never harsh or strident. Excitement up top without fatigue. 

2. Mids. Incredibly grain free and natural. Not recessed and not forward. Female vocals are beautifully rendered. Tone of vocals sounds spot on. Melody Gardot sounds dreamy...inside my head, easy to get completely lost in the vocals. 

3. Bass. Goes deep with visceral impact, but still balanced with the rest of the sounds. I love the linear effect. The sub bass is addictive.  Fink: Perfect Darkness is LOTS of fun on the AD. Never out of control..hits real hard...makes me smile every time. 

4. Imagining is a standout. Like a good pair of floor speakers. Nothing about the signature is out of place. Very balanced. 

5. The bass adjustment is fun. If you push it too much you'll get a mid bass suck out. Never fully open the port to the point you don't see the set screw at all. 

6. Beats the MD hands down. Easily more gifted across the spectrum than my hd650. He400...there is a touch more sub bass impact on the 400 but if you were blindfolded I'm not sure you'd be able to pick it out. He500...AD still better...sound stage a bit better on the 500 but I'd pick up the AD every time over the 500.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,606 of 9,071
@MattTCG
Thanks for the impression.
The treble was one of the things worrying me as I too don't like 'bright' or harsh uppers.
You may have said previously however what are you driving these with to get these impressions?
I will be using primarily with a portably rig is all. (Not jogging, on a train and in the office).
Do they seem more/less/same in regards to power requirements to the MD?
I am currently looking for an affordable portable amp to run my mds (not fiio e12, didn't like the combo) so trying to guage how much output I will need.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,607 of 9,071
  Here are a few impressions of the AD now that I've had a chance to listen for a week.

4. Imagining is a standout. Like a good pair of floor speakers. Nothing about the signature is out of place. Very balanced. 

Early impressions suggested that the Alpha Dog sounded somewhat similar to the HD800. Do you find that to be the case?

The AD has more articulation, sounds faster, has better transients, and extracts more micro-detail than the MD. It approaches the HD800. I would say it's more than half-way in between the MD and HD800, more toward the HD800 side. That's how good it is. What's really nice is the bass no longer has that rubbery sound which I have always associated with the stock plastic enclosure of the T50RP.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,608 of 9,071
@MattTCG
Thanks for the impression.
The treble was one of the things worrying me as I too don't like 'bright' or harsh uppers.
You may have said previously however what are you driving these with to get these impressions?
I will be using primarily with a portably rig is all. (Not jogging, on a train and in the office).
Do they seem more/less/same in regards to power requirements to the MD?
I am currently looking for an affordable portable amp to run my mds (not fiio e12, didn't like the combo) so trying to guage how much output I will need.

I'm using the lyr mostly but also two vintage receivers. 

Early impressions suggested that the Alpha Dog sounded somewhat similar to the HD800. Do you find that to be the case?

I have not heard the hd800. Sorry. The closest thing that I've heard is possibly he500, with the AD being better. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,609 of 9,071
Wow Matt, very nice review.  I would love to see the AD go against the LCD2/TH900/Denon D5000.  The HE400-HE500 is not too surprising to me when I had a chance with them, to me they sound a little thin.  Apologies in advance to HE owners.  

I do find your review helpful very though.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,610 of 9,071
I've owned the d5k (twice). For me, it's not even very close. The AD wins across the board. The d5k has a spikey treble, slightly recessed. While the bass impact is more visceral, it's loose and untextured compared to the AD. The d7k is better in the mids and tighter on the bass, but still does not match the AD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back