MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,611 of 9,071
  I've owned the d5k (twice). For me, it's not even very close. The AD wins across the board. The d5k has a spikey treble, slightly recessed. While the bass impact is more visceral, it's loose and untextured compared to the AD. The d7k is better in the mids and tighter on the bass, but still does not match the AD. 

Thanks again Matt...  Looks like Dan hit a home run on this one.  I love my MD 3.2 and most of the time they are my "go to" cans.  I will be ordering the AD in addition to the MD as soon as they become available.  

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,612 of 9,071
  I've owned the d5k (twice). For me, it's not even very close. The AD wins across the board. The d5k has a spikey treble, slightly recessed. While the bass impact is more visceral, it's loose and untextured compared to the AD. The d7k is better in the mids and tighter on the bass, but still does not match the AD. 

Matt, what do you prefer of the AD that you don't of the HE-500? Is it the comfort?
As for SQ, if you've heard the HE-500 with modded grills and jergpads as well as off of the Emotiva, would you still consider the AD to be better across the board in terms of JUST SQ? Be honest with me here please, try your best not to add any hype in your answer. Thanks! :)

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,613 of 9,071
Who's Peter?
I have follow mrspeakers since his Dog Pad but never heard of Peter?

Hi I'm Peter,
I've been with Mr. Speakers for about 6 months now and build almost all of the headphones. I am also a DJ and artist. You can check out some of my sets on on Mixcloud.com/dirty-pierre . I'm new to this whole head-fi thing so please bear with me. Ive been lurking for a while and decided I should probably get an account. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask I'll do my best to answer in a timely fashion. I'm glad to see that their are so many people that are so jazzed about the alphas. We've put our blood and sweat into this product and I've got scars to prove it. I'll be at the San Diego meet up in Coronado on next month so if you're there stop by our booth and say hi.

-Peter

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,614 of 9,071
  Matt, what do you prefer of the AD that you don't of the HE-500? Is it the comfort?
As for SQ, if you've heard the HE-500 with modded grills and jergpads as well as off of the Emotiva, would you still consider the AD to be better across the board in terms of JUST SQ? Be honest with me here please, try your best not to add any hype in your answer. Thanks! :)

+1 I found his response a little shallow without any information to tell me why he preferred the AD. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,615 of 9,071
Hi I'm Peter,
I've been with Mr. Speakers for about 6 months now and build almost all of the headphones. I am also a DJ and artist. You can check out some of my sets on on Mixcloud.com/dirty-pierre . I'm new to this whole head-fi thing so please bear with me. Ive been lurking for a while and decided I should probably get an account. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask I'll do my best to answer in a timely fashion. I'm glad to see that their are so many people that are so jazzed about the alphas. We've put our blood and sweat into this product and I've got scars to prove it. I'll be at the San Diego meet up in Coronado on next month so if you're there stop by our booth and say hi.

-Peter

Welcome Peter!  You may want to update your profile photo... Your advertising for the other guys! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,616 of 9,071
Hi I'm Peter,

-Peter

Hi Peter and welcome!

Do you have the specifics for next months meet?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,617 of 9,071
Mini meetup with MattTCG here in ATL to swap gear around and try out all the combinations.  Spent quite some time listening to the AD and it has completely sold me on them.  They sound awesome and the fit and finish is also impeccable.  I was blown away by the quality of the paint job, you really have to see them to believe them, and of course hear them too :wink:  Looking forward to ordering them once Mr Speaker clears his backlog.

If I had only one additional desire on them I would say to replace the headband with something lighter and padded but part of that had to do with the leather strap being not quite taut enough to avoid contacting the plastic above it and causing some pressure on the top of my head.  Earpads are out of this world soft and luxurious. Wire connections and the wire are also top shelf however I might prefer a lighter thinner wire using more of a portable ready 1/8" connector instead of 1/4" and a single entry option using the same connector would also be very nice for a more portable light weight easy on/off setup.  Of course I would need my portable amp to drive them but they sounded great using it (XM6) as well as my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp and my WA7.

All around a great set of headphones. Job well done Mr Speaker!

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,618 of 9,071

I would say this is about right.  However, the treble on the TH900s can be annoying at times and the bass can be overwhelming at times as well.  Kind of like a "U" shape sound and the mid range is recessed compared to the ADs.  "IMO"

As for the mids.  The TH900s "Cant' touch" the ADs - This is IMO as well.  Female vocals just sound very present, engaging and euphoric.  This makes this headphone (ADs) more on the neutral side and not "U" shape sounding at all.  

Also the Ortho sound gives a certain weight to the tone of the music that many of the dynamic headphones does not.  

The TH900s are most definitely a very fun headphone and is just "right" for certain types of music.  For me the TH900s got less headtime than my MDs 3.2
eek.gif

I guess I'm a Ortho head.  I'm also excited and can't wait to hear the LCD-X - For a open headphone IMO it needs to be less dark and more open.

Well I think the ADs are not for me then since I already have an HD800 which cover my neutral sig needs (and probably better than the AD would do) and with my TH900 I fulfill the 'fun' sig cravings..and since the AD needs an amp that rules out its use as my on the go phone..

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #2,619 of 9,071
Sigh
Ever since getting the mad dog I thought I must be a total bass head as I haven't been happy with their bass.
Slipped them on this morning without my glasses on...
Well!!!
Sad part is the type of glasses I have and the fact that I do most of my listening at work means I am stuffed for getting a good seal ever.
Bugger.
Was only after reading the post earlier about glasses and to seal that I put 2 and 2 together.
Hmn wonder if wifey will let me spend $5k on laser eye therapy so my $300 headphones sound better...?
Lol

Got a good seal today with my glasses on at work...
So I havent moved for 6 hours lol

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,624 of 9,071
Welcome Peter!  You may want to update your profile photo... Your advertising for the other guys! :D  

Now I'm just getting this error... Fatal error: Base lambda function for closure not found in /var/www/sites/huddler/releases/bfba393107cd74cd8c4637c16305b69e54948925/v2/system/application/modules/users/views/following/following_widget.php on line 3

I'm not realy sure what's going on here but I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,625 of 9,071
  Well I think the ADs are not for me then since I already have an HD800 which cover my neutral sig needs (and probably better than the AD would do) and with my TH900 I fulfill the 'fun' sig cravings..and since the AD needs an amp that rules out its use as my on the go phone..

to me it is more like a dream come truth,
I want a kind of " portable HD800, seems like the AD will do the job nicely!

the only thing i need is to get a portable player that can drive it decent>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back