MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,581 of 9,071
I don't know where you guys get Laser eye surgery done for that cheap? I just had PRK done this summer for roughly $3,600 and that was with a pretty decent discount. I also got it done by one of the best doctors on the NorthEast, I pay roughly $140 a month zero interest 2 years. I guess its just NY inflation. 

Anyway, patiently awaiting comparison of these to the TH900's. Do they stand a chance? TH900's are the best I've used with EDM so far. Also wouldn't mind a comparison to any Audeze or Denon D7000 if thats possible. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,582 of 9,071
Anyway, patiently awaiting comparison of these to the TH900's. Do they stand a chance? TH900's are the best I've used with EDM so far. Also wouldn't mind a comparison to any Audeze or Denon D7000 if thats possible. 

I've heard the Alpha Dog (only at an audio show though, not in a home environment yet) and previously owned the TH900 so I can speak only a little bit to that.

First, the two have very different electrical characteristics and there aren't many inexpensive amps that will effectively drive both of them (and hence be viable for a fair comparison between them). The TH900 is also more lightweight with less clamp, with less isolation too. The TH900 was more comfortable because of the lighter weight & clamp, while the Alpha Dog felt more like a glove on my head (not too unlike the Audeze headphones in that aspect).

That aside, to me the TH900 has a more open soundstage with greater width & depth, as well as more powerful bass. I guess the Alpha Dog could be considered more neutral, but it just wasn't very open-sounding to me, it still felt too closed-in. Each has their pros and cons, I think it's really up to individual preference as to which can be considered better.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2,583 of 9,071
I'm happy to say our production volumes are starting to increase.  If you've already received a shipping label your phones will be shipped by Thursday, and starting next week shipments should become pretty much daily.  By next week when you get a shipping label it will mean ships within 2 working days.

Thanks for your patience!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #2,584 of 9,071
Great to hear.  Could be a fun weekend!

Quote:
  I'm happy to say our production volumes are starting to increase.  If you've already received a shipping label your phones will be shipped by Thursday, and starting next week shipments should become pretty much daily.  By next week when you get a shipping label it will mean ships within 2 working days.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,585 of 9,071

Cant wait to try the AD out! i wish i will receive the AD next week

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,586 of 9,071
I had a chance to stop by the Mr. Speakers offices today and have a chat with Dan and Peter, what a great group. After talking to Dan and seeing the things he has going on and the quality and care that he and Peter put into to each pair of AD's I was sold. I came home and placed my order immediately. I want to thank Dan for taking a few minutes out of his obviously crazy busy schedule to spend time and answer my questions. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to wait 6 weeks for my phones....LOL!

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2,587 of 9,071
  I had a chance to stop by the Mr. Speakers offices today and have a chat with Dan and Peter, what a great group. After talking to Dan and seeing the things he has going on and the quality and care that he and Peter put into to each pair of AD's I was sold. I came home and placed my order immediately. I want to thank Dan for taking a few minutes out of his obviously crazy busy schedule to spend time and answer my questions. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to wait 6 weeks for my phones....LOL!

I would like to meet Dan myself as well.  I visit LA quite often and may just take that drive to SD.  "Dan, I'll PM you if I do"  But of course after all these crazy schedules of yours slows down quite a bit.  

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,588 of 9,071

Who's Peter?
I have follow mrspeakers since his Dog Pad but never heard of Peter?

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,589 of 9,071
My bedmate did her LASIK about 7 years ago, the clarity has degraded since...back on reading glasses. :rolleyes:

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,590 of 9,071

That aside, to me the TH900 has a more open soundstage with greater width & depth, as well as more powerful bass. I guess the Alpha Dog could be considered more neutral, but it just wasn't very open-sounding to me, it still felt too closed-in. Each has their pros and cons, I think it's really up to individual preference as to which can be considered better.

I would say this is about right.  However, the treble on the TH900s can be annoying at times and the bass can be overwhelming at times as well.  Kind of like a "U" shape sound and the mid range is recessed compared to the ADs.  "IMO"

As for the mids.  The TH900s "Cant' touch" the ADs - This is IMO as well.  Female vocals just sound very present, engaging and euphoric.  This makes this headphone (ADs) more on the neutral side and not "U" shape sounding at all.  

Also the Ortho sound gives a certain weight to the tone of the music that many of the dynamic headphones does not.  

The TH900s are most definitely a very fun headphone and is just "right" for certain types of music.  For me the TH900s got less headtime than my MDs 3.2
eek.gif

I guess I'm a Ortho head.  I'm also excited and can't wait to hear the LCD-X - For a open headphone IMO it needs to be less dark and more open.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,591 of 9,071
Planar head. PLANARMAGNETIC

People (lots of people) need to stop saying Ortho, as that's a Yamaha term for it.

Just saying. :p

Like calling Motion Interpolation on HDTV 'Motionflow.'. That's Sony speak.

These are minor pet peeves of mine. Lol.

Like 'Retina Display' for high resolution...

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,594 of 9,071
That's cool, though you're still using an incorrect term. :D

Like calling every cola, Pepsi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back