MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,052 of 2,583
Hey @mrspeakers ...I've got a question of absolutely zero importance. I'm simply curious.

When the headphones are shipped, the 1-notch filters come pre-installed. Is this simply because it's a "down-the-middle" sound that you think might appeal to the most people?

And, related...when you tuned the headphones, was your target sound achieved with zero filters in place? I'm just a little curious what the "intended" frequency response was since the dampening pads change it slightly.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. On the customer end, we find what we like and stick with it. Just wondering about the process...

1 notch was my optimal tuning, which is why I set it to the default. From experience I know my own taste seems to fall somewhat in the middle of the darker/brighter continuum, so having a range on both sides seemed like it was the right call.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,053 of 2,583
1 notch was my optimal tuning, which is why I set it to the default. From experience I know my own taste seems to fall somewhat in the middle of the darker/brighter continuum, so having a range on both sides seemed like it was the right call.
Yes. It was :p

After reading this I decided to give 1-notch another shot and used it for 3 hours or so. Just. Can't. Do it.

Back to no filters for me, haha.

I'll give the black foam a shot the next time I have a decent listening session ahead of me.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,055 of 2,583
Yes. It was :p

After reading this I decided to give 1-notch another shot and used it for 3 hours or so. Just. Can't. Do it.

Back to no filters for me, haha.

I'll give the black foam a shot the next time I have a decent listening session ahead of me.
Ive had the same experience. I guess its also highly dependant of your source if you will end up using the white filters or not. Black or no filters work for me because I use a Mimby/Jotunheim combo which is pretty warm for already slightly warm sounding headphones.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,056 of 2,583
Ive had the same experience. I guess its also highly dependant of your source if you will end up using the white filters or not. Black or no filters work for me because I use a Mimby/Jotunheim combo which is pretty warm for already slightly warm sounding headphones.
A little surprising since the the Jot is on the brighter side of the spectrum. But, the Mimby could help to tame the treble a bit.

I'm running Eitr/Mimby/Vali 2 myself.

Personally, it's not so much about FR changes and more the fact that the filters seem to deaden the sound a bit. It's not dramatic, but it's enough to impact my enjoyment.

I do agree that I think the headphones lean dark regardless of the filter used.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,057 of 2,583
A review of the AEON Open from Germany, in English.

That was one of the more exuberant reviews of anything I’ve ever seen or heard before. He ought to be MrSpeakers official spokesman. Hell if I didn’t already own these, I would order them right now based off this single review.
Very enjoyable review. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,058 of 2,583
A little surprising since the the Jot is on the brighter side of the spectrum. But, the Mimby could help to tame the treble a bit.

I'm running Eitr/Mimby/Vali 2 myself.

Personally, it's not so much about FR changes and more the fact that the filters seem to deaden the sound a bit. It's not dramatic, but it's enough to impact my enjoyment.

I do agree that I think the headphones lean dark regardless of the filter used.
I’m running.....
Mimby/Jot
Mimby/Lyr2
Mimby/Project Ember V2

Out of these 3 combos, it’s a toss up with the Jot and Ember for best performance. I’m
Also using the black tuning pad which to me doesn’t quite sounds as warm versus no pad or the 1/2 notched tuning pads.
It’s got a nice balance between warm and just enough sparkle.
The Jot is somewhat bright but paired with the slightly warmer Mimby, the sound is hypnotic. The Jot has that solid state sound and it’s very punchy which definitely enhances the low end. I can’t neglect the L2 either as with the correct tube (Amperex pinched waist) it can still have that same beautiful tone as the other 2 amps.

I can listen with any one of these combos and be content. It’s just that fine of a headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,059 of 2,583
I’m running.....
Also using the black tuning pad which to me doesn’t quite sounds as warm versus no pad or the 1/2 notched tuning pads.
Interesting. I don't see how this is possible, but I'll play around with the black filters this week.

I've owned the Jot and Ember as well, and agree that they're both fine amps.

I'm about to replace the Valhalla 2 in my Bimby-Valhalla chain. It's a great amp, but I want something that can play equally well with my 650 and AFO. It could be another Vali 2 (it really is my favorite Schiit amp), or perhaps I'll see if I can snag a used MCTH once they hit the used market in March.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,060 of 2,583
Interesting. I don't see how this is possible, but I'll play around with the black filters this week.

I'm about to replace the Valhalla 2 in my Bimby-Valhalla chain. It's a great amp, but I want something that can play equally well with my 650 and AFO. It could be another Vali 2 (it really is my favorite Schiit amp), or perhaps I'll see if I can snag a used MCTH once they hit the used market in March.

It could also do with the tubes I’m using. To my ears, it’s the perfect balance between all the tuning pads and my gear.

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,061 of 2,583

We have started to carry the Gilmore Lite mk2 by Headamp in our online store, it's a wonderful piece of solid state gear that has a "tubes with no noise" vibe. It uses a single-ended version of the GX2 amp, and really gives a great high-end sound. Not at all bright, too, and works really well with almost any load I've thrown at it. The bottom end weight is reminiscent of the higher end Cavalli amps, but the highs are really detailed and not at all etched or bright. Very easy on the ears, very lifelike sounding.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,062 of 2,583
We have started to carry the Gilmore Lite mk2 by Headamp in our online store, it's a wonderful piece of solid state gear that has a "tubes with no noise" vibe. It uses a single-ended version of the GX2 amp, and really gives a great high-end sound. Not at all bright, too, and works really well with almost any load I've thrown at it. The bottom end weight is reminiscent of the higher end Cavalli amps, but the highs are really detailed and not at all etched or bright. Very easy on the ears, very lifelike sounding.

At $500, it sounds very promising. Does this also go go well with Ether C Flow? I am thinking about buying one.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,063 of 2,583
At $500, it sounds very promising. Does this also go go well with Ether C Flow? I am thinking about buying one.

Yes, I actually was running it through all the Flow headphones yesterday, very pleasing device. Small, too, like the Liquid Carbon on the desk, though the external power supply is almost the same heft.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,064 of 2,583
Well, in that case, it isn't even close. The AFO is one of the most.comfprtable headphones I've ever tried.

If you.hacent read my impressions, they're a few pages back. Might be useful to you since you're in the same boat I was in coming from the 500s.
Glad to read that they are comfortable. Do they touch your ears when you are wearing them? Do you have reason to believe that heat and sweat for ears could be an issue?

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,065 of 2,583
I only notice them touching my ears with the black foam inserts which are rather thick. I don't notice it, otherwise. The pads have a lot of depth to them, though I'm sure they will compress more as time goes on. My pair is still quite new.

Heat and sweat have not been issues, but it's also winter. So, time shall tell.

YMMV on all of this, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back