MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,036 of 2,583
Hey Craig
Which tuning pad did you personally think increases the bass response a bit on the AFO? Black, 1 or 2 notch white? I’d appreciate your take
Thanx man
Hey! Sorry for the wait.

I was using black notch with the AFO to bring out the bass more. I was surprised at how much it benefitted the bass (to my tastes).

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,037 of 2,583
Hey! Sorry for the wait.

I was using black notch with the AFO to bring out the bass more. I was surprised at how much it benefitted the bass (to my tastes).
No worries man. We're all busy! I appreciate your input.
I've been using the white 1 notch and the bass does seem to be lacking just a bit.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,039 of 2,583
Hello folks,
I've been hanging around on the Elear thread, poly/mojo and DAP threads.
First time here on the AFO thread.

I have the Focal Elear, while i think the Elear is a wonderful HP I'm a little annoyed with the comfort tbh.
I can pop them on and feel ok'ish for a good while, othef times they hurt forward of my ears, this tends to be, I think, progressive, almost as if they bulid up a tender/bruised spot.

So I've decided to jump in and buy the AFO. ..... I did that last night and hoping ive not made a wrong move.
Firstly, I realise one should audition before laying down hard cash, yes yes I know! ...
Where I live unfortunately every decent store is at least 2 1/2 hours away, plus free time at the moment is very limited due to family illness, my old Mum. Alzheimer's is a very cruel condition.
So I guess I'm also trying to cheer myself up too.

I've been driving the Elear from my PM7005 DAC/AMP and they sound great, also sounding great when plugged into my Mojo/Poly combination. I also have the Senn HD650 but prefer the Elear, I love thier impact, the bass and thier Dynamism, exciting and engaging is how I'd describe them without digging deep.
The only thing, other than the comfort, I don't like so much is that heavy sub-bass can make the drivers clip at a slightly lower SPL then I would like. I would like occasionally to turn it up for the thrill but I've learnt to listen to those tracks at a lower level and it doesn't bother me to much.

I read that comfort is good. I read that although on paper/measurements they are somewhat short of the ideal, but in use there are very appealing, very satisfying. I do not possess "golden ears", I can not hear what the well practiced can hear and tbh I'm glad of that.
I'm autistic, aspergers syndrome, if i had the analytical ears some have I'd be chasing my butt trying to find perfection that does not exist!

Unfortunetly I'm unable finacially to keep three pairs of HPs, I would have to sell both Elear and the HD650, (I was close to listing the HD650.) Comfort wise the HD650 is far ahead of the Elear for me, the Elear is sonically better for me, if I can find comfort and the pleasing musicallity of the Elear in the AFO I'd be very happy.

As I metioned i don't possess golden ears so it's musicallity / fun that interests me, you know, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck! ...... The Elear did that on occasions, the HD650 less so.

If anyone owns both I'd be interested in your thoughts?
If anyone owns the Mojo I'd be intrrested in thier synergy?
I doubt if anyone owns the PM7005 / DAC and the AFO but if I'm so lucky please comment. I feel it's slightly warmer than the Mojo.

Of course i will find out myself before long, but it will be interesting to read your thoughts non the less.

Cheers all and a "Happy New Year" to you.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,040 of 2,583
Hmmm. I agree that it affects the treble and upper midrange making it sound warmer but I am also hearing more bass... not more as in same definition, but bigger as in bloat. Maybe Dan @mrspeakers can comment if he has the time on what I could be perceiving with the black notches?

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,041 of 2,583
@mrspeakers Will you be offering replacement ear pads for the AFO in the future?

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,042 of 2,583
Hmmm. I agree that it affects the treble and upper midrange making it sound warmer but I am also hearing more bass...
My take on it, I could be wrong. The black may reduce the highs and mids fairly equally, meaning, equivalent to a high shelf cut, starting in the low mids, going all the way to the top frequencies. What you're left with is the same amount of bass you started with, just less mids and highs. Try that at home if you can on your computer. Now, turn the volume up. You've increased the bass, without increasing its level. It's a matter of mathematics. The other filters may not cut as evenly above the bass.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,043 of 2,583
My take on it, I could be wrong. The black may reduce the highs and mids fairly equally, meaning, equivalent to a high shelf cut, starting in the low mids, going all the way to the top frequencies. What you're left with is the same amount of bass you started with, just less mids and highs. Try that at home if you can on your computer. Now, turn the volume up. You've increased the bass, without increasing its level. It's a matter of mathematics. The other filters may not cut as evenly above the bass.
I believe that makes logical sense. I wa going to post that theory but you beat me to it. I’m with you on this one. Maybe @mrspeakers can comment on this.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,044 of 2,583
Hello folks,
I've been hanging around on the Elear thread, poly/mojo and DAP threads.
First time here on the AFO thread.

I have the Focal Elear, while i think the Elear is a wonderful HP I'm a little annoyed with the comfort tbh.
I can pop them on and feel ok'ish for a good while, othef times they hurt forward of my ears, this tends to be, I think, progressive, almost as if they bulid up a tender/bruised spot.

So I've decided to jump in and buy the AFO. ..... I did that last night and hoping ive not made a wrong move.
Firstly, I realise one should audition before laying down hard cash, yes yes I know! ...
Where I live unfortunately every decent store is at least 2 1/2 hours away, plus free time at the moment is very limited due to family illness, my old Mum. Alzheimer's is a very cruel condition.
So I guess I'm also trying to cheer myself up too.

I've been driving the Elear from my PM7005 DAC/AMP and they sound great, also sounding great when plugged into my Mojo/Poly combination. I also have the Senn HD650 but prefer the Elear, I love thier impact, the bass and thier Dynamism, exciting and engaging is how I'd describe them without digging deep.
The only thing, other than the comfort, I don't like so much is that heavy sub-bass can make the drivers clip at a slightly lower SPL then I would like. I would like occasionally to turn it up for the thrill but I've learnt to listen to those tracks at a lower level and it doesn't bother me to much.

I read that comfort is good. I read that although on paper/measurements they are somewhat short of the ideal, but in use there are very appealing, very satisfying. I do not possess "golden ears", I can not hear what the well practiced can hear and tbh I'm glad of that.
I'm autistic, aspergers syndrome, if i had the analytical ears some have I'd be chasing my butt trying to find perfection that does not exist!

Unfortunetly I'm unable finacially to keep three pairs of HPs, I would have to sell both Elear and the HD650, (I was close to listing the HD650.) Comfort wise the HD650 is far ahead of the Elear for me, the Elear is sonically better for me, if I can find comfort and the pleasing musicallity of the Elear in the AFO I'd be very happy.

As I metioned i don't possess golden ears so it's musicallity / fun that interests me, you know, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck! ...... The Elear did that on occasions, the HD650 less so.

If anyone owns both I'd be interested in your thoughts?
If anyone owns the Mojo I'd be intrrested in thier synergy?
I doubt if anyone owns the PM7005 / DAC and the AFO but if I'm so lucky please comment. I feel it's slightly warmer than the Mojo.

Of course i will find out myself before long, but it will be interesting to read your thoughts non the less.

Cheers all and a "Happy New Year" to you.[/QUOTE

I dont have the Elear so cannot make a comparision but I do like AFO with my Mojo. Comfort is much better than LCD-2.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,047 of 2,583
As I remeber Mojo drives quite well Elear.
Mojo compare to Aune S6 and Questyle CMA400i is slower and has less detail on midrange but enough power to drive them

Hi, thank you.
Yes the Mojo does drive the Elear very well indeed, I have the Elear so I can attest to that.
It's just the comfort level I have problems with. For some reason they create a tender spot just forward of my ears, it's almost immediate.
If i pull them forward a touch they're better.
That's the reason I'm wanting a change, pity I love the dynamic reproduction but comfort is important of course.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,049 of 2,583
Hey @mrspeakers ...I've got a question of absolutely zero importance. I'm simply curious.

When the headphones are shipped, the 1-notch filters come pre-installed. Is this simply because it's a "down-the-middle" sound that you think might appeal to the most people?

And, related...when you tuned the headphones, was your target sound achieved with zero filters in place? I'm just a little curious what the "intended" frequency response was since the dampening pads change it slightly.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. On the customer end, we find what we like and stick with it. Just wondering about the process...

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,050 of 2,583
As I remeber Mojo drives quite well Elear.
Mojo compare to Aune S6 and Questyle CMA400i is slower and has less detail on midrange but enI ough power to drive them

hey Palpatine79, in other thread I read that you have bought Questyle CMA400i in Poland. I wonder where did you buy it and price.
I love mojo - AFO sound and I need a "desktop-mojo" but Hugo TT is too expensive for me and Hugo1 is battery-powered.
I consider between Fostex HP-A4BL or Questyle 400i to replace my Teac UD-H01 (which I think is underpowered to drive AFO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back