MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Sep 30, 2017.
  1. XERO1
  2. nScott89
    Please let me know more as soon as possible! Have you heard the original? If so, what differences do you find? Thanks!

3. Maelob
    I think in Dan's email he mentioned a " warmer transition from the bass to midrange for a fun and engaging headphone suitable for any genre of music"

4. robm321

5. mtoc
    only the open ver needs to be existed at the first place actually

6. mtoc
    why not call the open Anon

7. AlwaysForward
    Oh damn. $800 open planar that could potentially compete with Ether and LCD?! While looking more stylish and improving comfort?

"You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention."

Josh Englert and cardeli22 like this.
  8. MattTCG
    The comment in the email from Dan is well put. There is more warmth and a smoother transient response between frequencies, bass to mids and mids to treble. The AFO is my favorite MrSpeakers offering to date.

9. BuddhaBruce
    How do they compare to closed?

10. MattTCG
    I'm in the process of a review, so it wouldn't be fair to give a complete answer ATM. But, while these have a similar tonality (same driver and housing of course) the overall experience is quite different. To my ears the AFO, is in another class from the closed version. It reproduces a more natural sound with more accurate and pleasing tone. While the AFC may have 3db more sub bass, I find that with a little EQ AFO actually has better bass presence.

Closed headphones will always make compromises based on the physics of stored energy. AFO takes full advantage of moving what was a very good design to an open platform. Mids/vocals are more lush and delicate. The transitions between the mids/bass/treble flows better.

PDC3 and gefski like this.
  11. Zachik
    Matt - in your review, please compare to Ether Flow open as well... Thanks.

12. Jodet
    As long as we're putting in requests for comparisons can I ask about the HD700? It's comparably priced premium open headphone that a lot of people have heard. I would think a comparison to them would be very helpful for many can-fans.

13. MattTCG
    ^^ Never owned the hd700. It's just one of the gaps in my journey. Never even auditioned them. I do own the hd800 and will be comparing them to AFO in the review.

14. AlanU
    This is great news for an AFO!! I'll now put that on my short list.

15. musicday
    Are they harder to drive then the closed version? Also they must be lighter, so even more comfortable than before. I guess the earpads are not removable still?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017