MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,067 of 2,583
Ordered my pair last week delivery tomorrow can't wait..

Please let us know how it pairs with your WA22 and hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,068 of 2,583
AFO just receive one of the best reviews > MUST READ <

https://audiobacon.net/2018/01/09/mrspeakers-aeon-flow-open-back-headphone-review/

Finest_cuts.png

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,069 of 2,583
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,071 of 2,583
Forgive my endless suggestions, but I had an idea. Some like the extended subs on the AEON Flow Closed, some prefer the more mid bass warmth of the Open. I have to wonder if a semi-open offering would get them the best of both (all the extension of the Closed, that closed cans seem more capable of, and the warmer Open version tuning). Along with that, something like what you'll find in other headphones for bass, adjustability. However, only for the treble region where people find these have more energy (that other areas of the treble). Three position slider with some thin sort of internal filter. One is no filter, two is moderate, three is stronger. This allows users to adjust that without having to take off the cans and insert anything or keep track of inserts. It allows the user to even vary it if they have one ear that has hyperacoustis or tinnitus. It can also be integrated in a way that does not cause the inside driver area to touch their ear, regardless of its settings. That could be a hit since no other planar comes close to this kind of flexibility, and it would the first planar to be clear in the highs and have real bass extension quantity that even the LCD2 lacks.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,074 of 2,583
I'm about to replace the Valhalla 2 in my Bimby-Valhalla chain. It's a great amp, but I want something that can play equally well with my 650 and AFO. It could be another Vali 2 (it really is my favorite Schiit amp), or perhaps I'll see if I can snag a used MCTH once they hit the used market in March.
I am curious now. I own Jot, and was debating buying the Valhalla 2 (in addition), to play with tube rolling... What don't you like about the Valhalla 2 ? It is implied that it does NOT work well with HD650 and/or with AFO?

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,075 of 2,583
We have started to carry the Gilmore Lite mk2 by Headamp in our online store, it's a wonderful piece of solid state gear that has a "tubes with no noise" vibe. It uses a single-ended version of the GX2 amp, and really gives a great high-end sound. Not at all bright, too, and works really well with almost any load I've thrown at it. The bottom end weight is reminiscent of the higher end Cavalli amps, but the highs are really detailed and not at all etched or bright. Very easy on the ears, very lifelike sounding.
For anyone who might be on the fence, or just want another opinion... I auditioned the Gilmore Lite mk2 at RMAF (some 3 months ago) with AFO, AFC and other non-Mr. Speakers headphones, and immediately fell in love with the sound! Dan's description is dead-on, so no point in repeating it. Very accurate description of what I am hearing, too.
Long story short, I am the proud owner of the Gilmore Lite mk2 serial # 0001, hand-carried home from RMAF :wink:
HIGHLY recommended in general, and with Mr. Speakers headphones in particular!

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,076 of 2,583
I am curious now. I own Jot, and was debating buying the Valhalla 2 (in addition), to play with tube rolling... What don't you like about the Valhalla 2 ? It is implied that it does NOT work well with HD650 and/or with AFO?
The Valhalla 2 is a perfect match for the 650 (even if it is a hair on the dry/analytical side).

It's not an ideal match, however, for planars. It causes the AFO to become bass anemic and a little flabby sounding. Not unlistenable, but certainly not an ideal pairing by any stretch.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,077 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,078 of 2,583
Does DUM vs DUMMER cables make any difference in the sound with the AFO? I think I saw a video somewhere of Dan explaining that the cables have significant differences on the inside but I can't seem to find it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,079 of 2,583
Does DUM vs DUMMER cables make any difference in the sound with the AFO? I think I saw a video somewhere of Dan explaining that the cables have significant differences on the inside but I can't seem to find it.

Yes. The DUM cable adds a bit of clarity and dimension to the sound, especially on higher-end gear. I wouldn't invest in more expensive cabling unless your DAC/Amp are of high-enough quality that you want to extract all the nuances... Otherwise, use your money for a better amp or DAC.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,080 of 2,583
Yes. The DUM cable adds a bit of clarity and dimension to the sound, especially on higher-end gear. I wouldn't invest in more expensive cabling unless your DAC/Amp are of high-enough quality that you want to extract all the nuances... Otherwise, use your money for a better amp or DAC.
I actually already have the DUM XLR cable for my Aeon. Shout out to Electromod UK for offering to swap the single ended DUM for a XLR DUMMER for free because they didn't have the former with an XLR termination in stock at the time. Thanks for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back