MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #1,021 of 2,583
Hey Craig
Which tuning pad did you personally think increases the bass response a bit on the AFO? Black, 1 or 2 notch white? I’d appreciate your take
Thanx man

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,024 of 2,583
Hi, could someone compare AFO tonally to AQ Nighthawk? Thanks :)

I can. The bass is WAY tighter on the AFO, the mids are more present on the AFO, and the highs are brighter on the AFO. Both are on the warm side but the AQNH is MUCH darker. The AFO is also faster because it's a planar, NH is softer. Soundstage is similar with the imgaging being superior on the AFO. Macrodynamics are better on the AFO, however I personally enjoy the highs better on the NH (I'm treble sensitive), as it's a bit more laid back.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,025 of 2,583
Yeah I can totally do that Patrick! Right now I am getting a feel for the 400i and seeing how it responds to different headphones. I have only listened to it for about an hour I would say. It’s my next priority though! I want to see how it fairs next to the 600i as well.
Hi Craig,
dou you have a chance to hear the Elear and Aeon Open with CMA400i?

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,026 of 2,583
Hi Craig,
dou you have a chance to hear the Elear and Aeon Open with CMA400i?

Yeah Craig, tell us.

I actually think both drive really nicely with the 400i and it may come down to which a person really prefers as to Dynamic or Planner.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,027 of 2,583
Yeah Craig, tell us.

I actually think both drive really nicely with the 400i and it may come down to which a person really prefers as to Dynamic or Planner.
I’m sorry I am dropping the ball on this @Palpatine79 but I was spending all my time evaluating gear that we have out on loan. We have a period of time to listen to it before we send it back to the company, so Mark wants an opinion of it wether we should sell it or not. I WILL listen to the 400i/Æon probably Mon or Tues.

I didn’t forget about you btw but please feel free to remind me! :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,029 of 2,583
I can. The bass is WAY tighter on the AFO, the mids are more present on the AFO, and the highs are brighter on the AFO. Both are on the warm side but the AQNH is MUCH darker. The AFO is also faster because it's a planar, NH is softer. Soundstage is similar with the imgaging being superior on the AFO. Macrodynamics are better on the AFO, however I personally enjoy the highs better on the NH (I'm treble sensitive), as it's a bit more laid back.

Thanks. Seems like the AFO is THE cure for everything I disliked about Nighthawk (which I enjoyed, still).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,030 of 2,583
And what filters do you currently use in your AFO?

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,031 of 2,583
Considering getting the Aeon Open to compliment the Audioquest Nightowl , which, by the way I love ( I think the Nightowl is a totally great headphone that's gone under the radar for most headphone lovers). Can anyone compare the 2 and is it a good compliment to my Nightowl which is closed back.

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,032 of 2,583
Considering getting the Aeon Open to compliment the Audioquest Nightowl , which, by the way I love ( I think the Nightowl is a totally great headphone that's gone under the radar for most headphone lovers). Can anyone compare the 2 and is it a good compliment to my Nightowl which is closed back.

I own both. They do complement each other well. I also think the nightowl is supremely underrated, and much better than the nighthawk. But the AFO is the better headphone all around. It's much faster and extends higher. Resolution is similar to the nightowl with a bit more glare around 9k. They're both warm, but the nightowl has a softer presentation. The instrument separation is a bit better on the AFO, and the soundstage is better on the AFO as well.

Here is the video I did comparing them:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,033 of 2,583
I own both. They do complement each other well. I also think the nightowl is supremely underrated, and much better than the nighthawk. But the AFO is the better headphone all around. It's much faster and extends higher. Resolution is similar to the nightowl with a bit more glare around 9k. They're both warm, but the nightowl has a softer presentation. The instrument separation is a bit better on the AFO, and the soundstage is better on the AFO as well.

Here is the video I did comparing them:

Thank you for the insight. Nice video review. Comfort is very important to me as well. Will be hard to beat the Nightowl on that . I have heard a friends Focal Elear and I hated the clamping force as I did on the Sennheiser HD650. What I did like on the Elear is the "fast, in your face sound", but I get some of that to a lesser degree from my Shure SE535 earbuds. I'm real satisfied with the Nightowl, just thought I might treat myself to different , open sound. Going to have to have a listen for myself. Thanks again..PS: My favorite song to test a headphone is "Morning Grace" from the album "Cafe Blue" by Patricia Barber". It has a little bit of everything many headphones have trouble handling. The Nightowl fits that song to a tea in my opinion. On another note, do you think the Aeon would be a good match for my Jotunheim?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,034 of 2,583
Thank you for the insight. Nice video review. Comfort is very important to me as well. Will be hard to beat the Nightowl on that . I have heard a friends Focal Elear and I hated the clamping force as I did on the Sennheiser HD650. What I did like on the Elear is the "fast, in your face sound", but I get some of that to a lesser degree from my Shure SE535 earbuds. I'm real satisfied with the Nightowl, just thought I might treat myself to different , open sound. Going to have to have a listen for myself. Thanks again..PS: My favorite song to test a headphone is "Morning Grace" from the album "Cafe Blue" by Patricia Barber". It has a little bit of everything many headphones have trouble handling. The Nightowl fits that song to a tea in my opinion. On another note, do you think the Aeon would be a good match for my Jotunheim?

I hear the jot makes the treble glare a bit more noticeable but I haven't heard it myself. AFO does well on stuff like the Cayin IHA-6, or the fostex hpa4 balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back