MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,831 of 2,583
The AFO is the most comfortable headphone I have ever put on my ears.

And they can be listened at bed on pillow without any issue (my previous HD650 and the Nighthawks were a nightmare).

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,832 of 2,583
Hi I'm a longtime enthusiast and this is my first post. I recently gutted most of my collection (several HD800s, a Beyer T1(1st gen), and my SR-009) after finally trying the Audioquest Nighthawks (about 2500 hours listening in on them) and I was looking for more headphones with that type of flavor. I had a question about the actual feeling of pressure(sealing pressure on the eardrums) on these headphones. How does it compare to the alphadog or alpha prime? Although great headphones, I could only wear them for about 15 minutes at a time without pain.

For reference, the others I am considering are the Audeze LCD2C and the Focal Clear.

Personally, comfort wise, AFO is simply better than Clear and any Audeze headphones (LCD 2C is the most comfortable Audeze though)

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,833 of 2,583
Damn. Wanted something with minimal leakage but from how people have described the two, it sounds like the AFO is simply tuned better than the AFC. Plan to upgrade from my Oppo pm3.
As work most open back, they leak sound, but less than other models. Indeed, some people think the AFO are best described as semiopen

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,834 of 2,583
Hi Everyone,

To cut a long story short, about a month ago, I went to an audio shop in London (Audio Sanctuary) to try out the new Audeze LCD2 Classics and when I got there I noticed they had a pair of Aeon Flow Closed and asked to try those as a comparison to the LCD2Cs - anyway, after about 3 hours of AB testing and in spite of visually preferring the look of the LCD2Cs I decided that the AFCs were the better HP simply because they gave me more pleasure.

They didn't have any opens so I left the shop without a purchase, and did some rummaging around and found a retailer (who are simply great: Pete at Igloo Audio) who stocked the AFCs and AFOs and let me buy both to trial and return whichever I didn't want. I had the cans for the better part of three weeks and eventually chose the opens - have to say it wasn't an easy decision as there is a subtle quality to the closed that, whilst they are nowhere near as generally luscious as the opens, appeals: the closed, when you get used to the neutral tone have a real depth of bass which is extremely pleasant.

So I've kept the opens and they are simply so enjoyable that I now listen to music more often than I did, and they've also opened up new styles of music - particularly modern ambient and electronic. For the first time ever I've had hairs go up on my arms listening to music. Absolutely hats off to Dan at Mr Speakers for that!

Anyway, I'm looking to maximise the AFOs and am in the market for a new DAC AMP - I have the Cayin C5 and and FiiO Mont Blanc (for my money the Mont Blanc is better) but have read that the iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label is fantastic (comes recommended by Dan at Mr Speakers earlier in the thread, and also the guy that runs Audeze - there's a video up somewhere of him eulogising on it) - so, the question to you all is:

Is it worth shedding out £600 ($800) for the iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label given that I'm running MacBookPro-> TIdal-> DACAMP

For context I will also probably buy the Audeze LCD2Cs as a complimentary set to the AFOs. For further context, I would spend that money on a new DACAMP for macro improvements.

Thanks everyone,

MFM

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,835 of 2,583
Hi Everyone,

To cut a long story short, about a month ago, I went to an audio shop in London (Audio Sanctuary) to try out the new Audeze LCD2 Classics and when I got there I noticed they had a pair of Aeon Flow Closed and asked to try those as a comparison to the LCD2Cs - anyway, after about 3 hours of AB testing and in spite of visually preferring the look of the LCD2Cs I decided that the AFCs were the better HP simply because they gave me more pleasure.

They didn't have any opens so I left the shop without a purchase, and did some rummaging around and found a retailer (who are simply great: Pete at Igloo Audio) who stocked the AFCs and AFOs and let me buy both to trial and return whichever I didn't want. I had the cans for the better part of three weeks and eventually chose the opens - have to say it wasn't an easy decision as there is a subtle quality to the closed that, whilst they are nowhere near as generally luscious as the opens, appeals: the closed, when you get used to the neutral tone have a real depth of bass which is extremely pleasant.

So I've kept the opens and they are simply so enjoyable that I now listen to music more often than I did, and they've also opened up new styles of music - particularly modern ambient and electronic. For the first time ever I've had hairs go up on my arms listening to music. Absolutely hats off to Dan at Mr Speakers for that!

Anyway, I'm looking to maximise the AFOs and am in the market for a new DAC AMP - I have the Cayin C5 and and FiiO Mont Blanc (for my money the Mont Blanc is better) but have read that the iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label is fantastic (comes recommended by Dan at Mr Speakers earlier in the thread, and also the guy that runs Audeze - there's a video up somewhere of him eulogising on it) - so, the question to you all is:

Is it worth shedding out £600 ($800) for the iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label given that I'm running MacBookPro-> TIdal-> DACAMP

For context I will also probably buy the Audeze LCD2Cs as a complimentary set to the AFOs. For further context, I would spend that money on a new DACAMP for macro improvements.

Thanks everyone,

MFM

If you’re going mobile it seems most Head-Fiers enjoy them with the iFi iDSD Black Label or the Chord Mojo.

For a desk unit most I enjoyed them with the Mjolnir 2 but it comes without a dac. The Schiit Lyr 3 + Dac (covers your tube sound which the AFOs love) or Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 + Dac is another great option that’s solid state. Both of these are around the $500 -$700 USD price.

You got options. :)

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,837 of 2,583
Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone,

MFM
If mobile is your decision, I'd keep the Cayin C5.

Now, there's consensus on this forums and Dan @mrspeakers himself has said that he prefers tube sound with the AFO. That said, I have the schiit Vali 2 and the pair lovely with the AFO, probably the best bang for the buck in tube amps. Dan has recommended the Massdrop CTH and @koover has tested many amps and expressed his preference for the schiit Lyr 2.

In your situation, I'd consider a Vali 2 and use the savings in getting the LCD2C

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,838 of 2,583
If mobile is your decision, I'd keep the Cayin C5.

Now, there's consensus on this forums and Dan @mrspeakers himself has said that he prefers tube sound with the AFO. That said, I have the schiit Vali 2 and the pair lovely with the AFO, probably the best bang for the buck in tube amps. Dan has recommended the Massdrop CTH and @koover has tested many amps and expressed his preference for the schiit Lyr 2.

In your situation, I'd consider a Vali 2 and use the savings in getting the LCD2C

Those recommendations are all hybrid tube amps. Part solid state and part tube. The AFO goes up a few more levels with a full scale tube amp. I can stick a Webber copper cap (Solid State rectifier) into my tube amp and turn it into a hybrid amp. The sound is a lot better if it's fully tubed.

170578_full.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,839 of 2,583
Anyone liking AOF w/ the iDSD black label or, Gilmore Lite MK2 for example?
ie; an appreciable synergy with them without getting into the higher budgets.

AFO and Gilmore is a good pairing, I like it even more than any schiit amps (in similar or lower price range) due to agresive character from Schiit.

Personally, I use AFO with balance cable to Questyle CMA600i (balance does help in this case!).

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,840 of 2,583
Those recommendations are all hybrid tube amps. Part solid state and part tube. The AFO goes up a few more levels with a full scale tube amp. I can stick a Webber copper cap (Solid State rectifier) into my tube amp and turn it into a hybrid amp. The sound is a lot better if it's fully tubed.

Very cool love the the black, If I can ask what's the rectifier you're using, Thanks & enjoy

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #1,841 of 2,583
Very cool love the the black, If I can ask what's the rectifier you're using, Thanks & enjoy

Hey mate,
That's an older pic where I was using the Tak 274B. I have a couple of them.
Currently I'm using the insanely cheap Brimar 5Z4GY.
I'm not sure which I like best. Brimar is tighter with better clear extended bass.
Tak is more relaxed and has a better more mellow mid-range. It can get a bit wofely in the bass tho.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,842 of 2,583
My he400i that I purchased a year ago is starting to go bad in the left driver (pisses me off a lot, considering that I've babied them since purchasing them). I've been looking for upgrades. Can anyone who owns/has owned the 400i comment on whether the Aeon Flow open is a significant upgrade from the 400i?

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,843 of 2,583
My he400i that I purchased a year ago is starting to go bad in the left driver (pisses me off a lot, considering that I've babied them since purchasing them). I've been looking for upgrades. Can anyone who owns/has owned the 400i comment on whether the Aeon Flow open is a significant upgrade from the 400i?
Please just keep in mind this is my opinion but I can unequivocally say that they’re in a different league and category. Also keep in mind it’s been a good 6 months since I owned the 400i and they have completely different signatures.

The 400i “to me” is somewhat bass light (depending on amp, is it a tube amp, SS, the correct tube for the HP with amp, etc.) a little recessed in the mids but not too bad and too bright for my liking. It also has a thin tinny sound where ur treble can also have a semi metallic sound. Depends on the music you listen to too where I’m pretty hard and like progressive metal, progressive rock and Djent. Well recorded music sounds good on the 400i, but that’s most HP’s

The AFO is an incredible all a-rounder. Semi laid back but you have 3 tuning pads to tweak the sound to your liking which will affect all 3 frequencies. They are punchy, fast, great midrange, perfect spot on treble with the black or even 1 notch pad (I don’t use any as I like the treble just a tad extended) detailed and to my ears, the best HP for the money.

Doesn’t matter how the music is recorded, it’s forgoving and Is silky smooth, buttery and musical. Sounds best out of a tube amp to me. I run with a MJ2 which is a hybrid but just ask @Badass as he just loves it with a true tube amp.
I’m dying to hear these with that true gooey tube sound.

So the cliff notes version is?... yes, the AFO is a clear upgrade from the 400i.

Jun 12, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,844 of 2,583
Several have been asking about the Gilmore, which I've been able to audition for the past few days thanks to a kind member who loaned it out for a bit. I used the AFO nearly exclusively and put it up against the Lyr 3.

Here's a copy of what I posted...somewhere else:

Synergy, man. It's no joke.

I've spent the past couple of days listening to the Gilmore and comparing it to the Lyr 3 (New Production TS on high gain). The majority of my listening has been done through a Gen V Bimby - Gilmore/Lyr 3 - Aeon Flow Open (no dampening filters).

Long story short, the Gilmore is worth the $499 asking price. My unsophisticated ears did not detect any shortcomings that would make it a lesser value than the Lyr 3 at an identical price. The choice between the two comes down more to sonic preferences and synergy than it does to technicalities. The Gilmore is NOT a giant turd.

I won't got into technical details because my lack of knowledge will only bring shame and embarrassment, so here are my brief and entirely subjective impressions:

With the AFO, the Gilmore is mildly u-shaped with accentuated bass and and some shimmer in the treble (cymbals stand out). This comes at the expense of slightly recessed vocals and somewhat muted guitar in spots. It is not extreme at all, and if someone were to steal my Lyr 3 and put a Gilmore in its place I wouldn't be distraught. I could easily live with this amp for daily listening.

As a tube guy and someone that has NEVER enjoyed planars from a SS amp, this is a pretty extreme statement that I did not expect to make. The Gilmore is very smooth and easy to listen to, but doesn't sacrifice impact or energy in the process.

The Lyr 3, on the other hand, puts a spotlight on the vocals and brings some mid-sweetness that is more in line with my preferences. The AFO already has plenty of bass, so the extra bump given by the Gilmore isn't necessary. Without the small bass mountain that the Gilmore provides, I find the AFO's sound feels less cramped on the Lyr 3. I don't believe the soundstage in the two amps is that far off, actually, but I find the extra bass in the Gilmore alters how I perceive it. So, it's about preferences and perspective...those who favor the Gilmore would call it more dynamic and energetic while the Lyr 3 is a bit flat and boring in comparison. Those who prefer the Lyr 3 would say that it's more neutral and accurate while the Gilmore is a bit too colored.

With the 650, it all changes. The u-shaped feeling I got with the AFO is completely gone and the Gilmore feels like a well-balanced and technically capable amp. The 650 benefits from the bass boost, and doesn't appear to lose anything in the mids. A really solid and engaging listen.

It's a good time to live in mid-fi, folks. I don't think the value has ever been better.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,845 of 2,583
Hi Everyone,

Without trying to be scientific, I scanned through the Aeon thread with some notes on the DAC / AMPs that came up in conversation and the following is a non-exhaustive list of some of the comments I noticed on each (thanks skyline315 on the Gilmore above.) For a reason I can't put my finger on I'm not in the market for a Chord Mojo so not included here.

User comments in "..." - and apologies for any errors.

Entry level:
Schiit Magni 3 (AMP); £110

Schiit Vali 2 (AMP) tube hybrid; £150 "way better than the Magni 3" + Schiit Modi 2 (DAC) £110
"I'll keep saying it. The Vali 2 is the best bang for your buck amp you can buy for the AFO. Just be sure to swap out that stock tube."
"It pairs lovely with the AFO, probably the best bang for the buck in tube amps"
<zreviews says ordinary>

Schiit Lyr 3 (DAC/AMP); tube hybrid; £500
"better than the massdop Liquid Carbon"
"vali 2 on steroids"
"I had a chance to hear it this weekend and it’s another superb option." Dan Mr Speakers
"Jotenheim with multibit sounds great. Lyr 3 multibit is more to my taste, has a softer, more spacious tube sound. Haven’t tried rolling tubes in it but stock tube seems pretty good..." Dan Mr Speakers

Schitt JOTUNHEIM £420 (DAC/AMP)
"Bit sharp in the treble with crisp transients. Bass is strong yet no bloat. Soundstage is poor, but that's more of the headphone."
"Schiit Jotunheim is a great amp, but always too aggressive in upper mid to treble area for my taste, though ymmv of course."

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 (AMP) £370 ($499) (plus shipping and taxes to UK)
"Gilmore Lite mk 2 is the cleanest sound with the darkest background. Soundstage opens up nicely, which also helps with instrument separation, imaging, and microdetail. Bass tightens up and gains heft, leading to a more engaging experience with heightened PRAT factor."
"Possibly neutral compared to e.g. Cavalli"
"pairs well with £575 Schiit BIFROST MULTIBIT (BIMBY)"
"I had a Jotunheim with the AFO. I'd strongly recommend the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2 over it. Way more musical as well as better imaging depth. improved authority, more effortless detail presentation, separation and soundstage (both size and quality)."
"mildly u-shaped, accentuated bass and and some shimmer in the treble, at the expense of slightly recessed vocals and somewhat muted guitar in spots"

Questyle CMA600i £900/$1200
"Other option, sell mojo and get desktop dac amp like Questyle CMA600i, balance power really does great job to AFO. (In fact, for my personal system that I used the most right now is AFO + CMA600i)"

iFi Micro iDSD Black Label (DAC/AMP) £549
"I prefer the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label (another narrow miss) because of the bass boost, which makes for the perfect FR IMO."
<however. "+1 on the cayin c5 had no ideal it could sound this good on this little amp prefer this paring sometimes over my black label.`"
<recommended by Dan at Mr Speakers in his initial amp list>

From this cursory list with comments it seems that the following are in prime position (in no particular order):

Schiit Vali 2 + Schiit Modi 2 (DAC+AMP) £260
Questyle CMA600i or 400i (DAC/AMP) ~£900
HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 (AMP) - $499 (but after taxes, etc. to UK ~£450 + DAC costs)
Schiit Lyr 3 (DAC/AMP) - £500
iFi Micro iDSD Black Label DAC/AMP) - £549 - possibly - I'm attracted by the bass boost switch

Given how much I'm willing to spend, I'm tempted by the Lyr 3, the iFI Micro or the Gilmore... if anyone has experience of A/B'ing any of those three (on top of skyline315's comparison of Gilmore and Lyr 3 above) would be very keen to hear their thoughts.

Big thanks,

MFM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back