MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,861 of 2,583
Hifiman 560. Hifiman Sundara both better and more natural sounding to me and much cheaper. I also had my HE4xx with me but I didn't compare them but they are similar in that they have quite a heavy lower presence and are quite forward, tonality might not be as good though, I regret not comparing them
As I noted in the Sundara thread, the AFO and Sundara shouldn't really be compared to each other... their signatures are more complementary than competing. If you like the open sound, then Sundara. If you like warm, AFO. I'd suggest (based on my own experience) that LCD-2C and Cascade are closer sonic competitors.

Apart from that, the construction is miles apart. Hifiman aren't known for their QC. The Sundara is a very simple design, IMO it shouldn't have generated as many horror stories as noted on the thread.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,862 of 2,583
As I noted in the Sundara thread, the AFO and Sundara shouldn't really be compared to each other... their signatures are more complementary than competing. If you like the open sound, then Sundara. If you like warm, AFO. I'd suggest (based on my own experience) that LCD-2C and Cascade are closer sonic competitors.

Apart from that, the construction is miles apart. Hifiman aren't known for their QC. The Sundara is a very simple design, IMO it shouldn't have generated as many horror stories as noted on the thread.

I agree with QC though I have had absolutely no issues I feel sorry for the many that have had issues. As for not comparing them because they are so different. They are different yes but the Aeons really sounded congested to me compared to the Sundara, much more of a closed back Style. Oppo PM3 are closed and cheaper and although I havent listened to them in a long time as I only tested them once these kind of reminded me of them in that they are very full sounding, plenty of presence but quite congested as you would expect from a closed back with similar tonality

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,864 of 2,583
I have been using my new open-box Mr Speakers Aeon Opens with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black with great results. I decided to buy the higher end Dragonfly Red and I noticed some distortion on bass heavy tracks at 50% volume or more. When I switch to another pair of headphones (V-moda M100) no distortion. If I switch back to my Dragonfly Black the Mr Speakers sounds fine. I thought it might have something to do with the higher voltage output of the Dragonfly Red causing the problem with lower impedance headphone . So then I decided to try the Mr. Speakers with my Mcintosh C48 pre-amp thinking this would probably sound best. To my surprise I’m noticing distortion and very weak bass on all tracks. When I try my V-moda's on my Mcintosh they sound fine. Any ideas? Do you think these headphones could be defective? They sound good with a Dragonfly Black on my iMac, but sound downright broken on my Mcintosh pre-amp and not great on the Audioquest Red. Is this something to do with the low impedance? from what I have read the c48 Mcintosh headphone amp is rather high quality. I also tested the Mr. Speakers on my iMac headphone jack and they sound fine. I also have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's that sound fine on everything I've tried. Any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,866 of 2,583
I have been using my new open-box Mr Speakers Aeon Opens with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black with great results. I decided to buy the higher end Dragonfly Red and I noticed some distortion on bass heavy tracks at 50% volume or more. When I switch to another pair of headphones (V-moda M100) no distortion. If I switch back to my Dragonfly Black the Mr Speakers sounds fine. I thought it might have something to do with the higher voltage output of the Dragonfly Red causing the problem with lower impedance headphone . So then I decided to try the Mr. Speakers with my Mcintosh C48 pre-amp thinking this would probably sound best. To my surprise I’m noticing distortion and very weak bass on all tracks. When I try my V-moda's on my Mcintosh they sound fine. Any ideas? Do you think these headphones could be defective? They sound good with a Dragonfly Black on my iMac, but sound downright broken on my Mcintosh pre-amp and not great on the Audioquest Red. Is this something to do with the low impedance? from what I have read the c48 Mcintosh headphone amp is rather high quality. I also tested the Mr. Speakers on my iMac headphone jack and they sound fine. I also have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's that sound fine on everything I've tried. Any suggestions?

I get the same distortion with the AFC and DFR. Haven’t encountered this with any other pairings of either.

I can’t explain why this happens. I saw another person post a similar experience so it’s not only your AFO/DFR.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,867 of 2,583
I get the same distortion with the AFC and DFR. Haven’t encountered this with any other pairings of either.

I can’t explain why this happens. I saw another person post a similar experience so it’s not only your AFO/DFR.

The Mcintosh c48 paring is a bigger concern, I can still send the DFR back. This review at Stereophile https://www.stereophile.com/content...lack-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-measurements confirms that the Red has higher distortion with low impedance headphones. The Mcintosh manual specs the headphone load impedance at 100-600 ohms. Now I'm just debating if I should send back the AFO and try a new pair. This was an open-box pair I purchased from an authorized dealer.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,868 of 2,583
The Mcintosh c48 paring is a bigger concern, I can still send the DFR back. This review at Stereophile https://www.stereophile.com/content...lack-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-measurements confirms that the Red has higher distortion with low impedance headphones. The Mcintosh manual specs the headphone load impedance at 100-600 ohms. Now I'm just debating if I should send back the AFO and try a new pair. This was an open-box pair I purchased from an authorized dealer.
I use fiio Q5 balanced with afo. Very good paring IMO.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,870 of 2,583

Maybe you could try the iFI IEMatch? Not sure if it would limit the volume too much.

How does it sound worth the dragonfly black? I might have to get one if it works with Æons.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,872 of 2,583
Works great with the Black, I had the original Dragonfly 1.0 and the Black sounds much better.

That's great to hear. I might have to try. I know it won't sound as good as using a more powerful amp, but can the Dragonfly Black give the Aeons sufficient volume and dynamics? Do you get any distortion or is it just less than with the DFR? They sound OK out of my iPhone already, but not really good enough that I would choose them over easier to drive headphones from that source.

Also it just seems wrong running Aeons from the lightening to 3.5 mm adapter :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,873 of 2,583
Having looked into the McIntosh C48 I found it specifies headphone impedance of 100-600 ohms, which pretty much means the amp is likely to have high output impedance and be a poor match for any planar headphone. In the "old days," many headphone amps had high output impedance. Now, most amps are pretty low, often under 1-2 ohms, which is what we recommend for any of our planars.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,874 of 2,583
Having looked into the McIntosh C48 I found it specifies headphone impedance of 100-600 ohms, which pretty much means the amp is likely to have high output impedance and be a poor match for any planar headphone. In the "old days," many headphone amps had high output impedance. Now, most amps are pretty low, often under 1-2 ohms, which is what we recommend for any of our planars.

So I had to check it out to be sure what this conversation is about was being addressed correctly. I don’t have a the older model C48 here but I do have the C47 and C52 the current models. The headphone circuits are exactly the same. As the 2nd largest McIntosh dealer in the country and 3rd largest in the world I’m going to agree with Dan. I just tried these 2 preamps with every brand of planar headphones we sell and I’m going to say no, not a great match. I’ve heard worse but Dynamic cans are probably better on McIntosh. One thing is when using a Planar with the C48 be sure you’re also not using any DSP. It will suck hard if you do.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back