MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
May 31, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,816 of 2,583
I have both the Prime and the AFO. The AFO is the most comfortable headphone I have ever put on my ears. I can tell you that if you find the Primes uncomfortable, I wouldn't bother even putting the Audeze on, in the comfort department, they are horrible.

May 31, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,817 of 2,583
Thanks, the Audeze were on the shakiest ground anyway. Comfort is a big part of the equation for me as I normally average 50 hours a week with headphones on. When I tried to own the LCD-3 they kind of felt like wearing a bowling ball on my head.

May 31, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,818 of 2,583
I have both the Prime and the AFO. The AFO is the most comfortable headphone I have ever put on my ears. I can tell you that if you find the Primes uncomfortable, I wouldn't bother even putting the Audeze on, in the comfort department, they are horrible.
I don't think the 2C's redesigned headband is uncomfortable. It's heavy though, so even with the good weight distribution, may not feel great to some. That said, I also think the AFO is miles better in terms of comfort.

May 31, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,819 of 2,583
Not sure what I think of these so far. They have a nice rich smooth quality too them, and lend well to feeling like your in an intimate room with the piece, but I find them a bit lacking in punch and imaging. Bass feels textured and smooth, but maybe I'm wanting something a little tighter. Taking the pads out helped with the imaging, although I'm finding occasionally a little gritty. I'm guessing the black pads are probably right for me, but I'm trying to let each settle in a bit.

These also aren't as comfortable as I expected from everyone's raving. But, I'm probably too used to the ultralight X2's. I did live with DT770s for years with no problem.

And I'm not going to complain about this since I knew it going in, but it is interesting the bit of sub-bass wearing glasses sucks out. I think the glasses impact is maybe a little exaggerated overall, except in this one area.

Other thoughts:
The way these smooth out Synthwave / Outrun to make it more musical is pretty amazing.
So far so good on female vocals, mostly.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,820 of 2,583
These also aren't as comfortable as I expected from everyone's raving. But, I'm probably too used to the ultralight X2's.

Fidelio X2? Aeon Flow seem to be lighter than those according to the specs on both.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,821 of 2,583
Tips for comfort: don’t over tighten the headphone. There should be relatively little weight carried by the headband.

Glasses do affect sub bass, put the headphones on first then tuck the arms of the glasses into the pads rather than resting on the ear, unless the frames are really thick or pull away from the face that allows a seal to form.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,822 of 2,583
Fidelio X2? Aeon Flow seem to be lighter than those according to the specs on both.
Weight is not everything. While I appreciate the low weight of the AFO, the smaller than average earcups can become bothersome, especially with the filters in. The suspension headband of the X2 (and AQ headphones) is the best and most comfortable way to adjust your headphones. AFO is more comfy than average, but the earcups aren't very spacious. To me it was quite a relief to put on my head the heavier LCD2C which has much bigger cups and more space to the ears. Felt like a breath of fresh air tbh after the claustrophobic feel of the AFO cups. My ¢0.02.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,823 of 2,583
Weight is not everything. While I appreciate the low weight of the AFO, the smaller than average earcups can become bothersome, especially with the filters in. The suspension headband of the X2 (and AQ headphones) is the best and most comfortable way to adjust your headphones. AFO is more comfy than average, but the earcups aren't very spacious. To me it was quite a relief to put on my head the heavier LCD2C which has much bigger cups and more space to the ears. Felt like a breath of fresh air tbh after the claustrophobic feel of the AFO cups. My ¢0.02.
More or less this. Suspension headband is definitely best. Cup depth is more than adequate. I find with the ear-shaped cups it takes more effort to get them situated just right and the heavy cups put a bit of pressure on the soft point below the ears.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,824 of 2,583
More or less this. Suspension headband is definitely best. Cup depth is more than adequate. I find with the ear-shaped cups it takes more effort to get them situated just right and the heavy cups put a bit of pressure on the soft point below the ears.
I don't have large ears but still found myself nonstop adjusting the AFO after 30-40 minutes of listening. Something is just not right here for me.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,825 of 2,583
These tips will help with fit for most people, though not all.

AEON's shape allows you to rotate the cups a bit for comfort. Depending on how your jaw line falls, you can rotate the cups to move the headband a bit forward so that the point of the cups below the ear moves back a bit. Particularly for using reclined, or for people with stronger jaw lines, rotating the cups to push the headband a bit forward on the head can really improve fit. If you have a less pronounced jawline, rotating to push the headband towards the back of the head can improve fit.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,826 of 2,583
I've owned many headphones through my journey. I wouldn't say the earcups of the AFO are smaller than average. I'd say they're larger than average. If you're comparing them to the LCD2 then it's a skewed comparison, because the openings on the Audezes are among he largest in the industry.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,828 of 2,583
They are an open back hp so a lot, someone next to you could easily hear everything your listening to..

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,830 of 2,583
My current collection. They are neutral in their own way, but they sound VERY different each other.
IMG_7787.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back