MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
May 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,801 of 2,583
Because in the end, at some point, headphone is just a headphone. A tool to listen music. While sound quality is definitely important, but it is not everything. We still need to consider comfort, fitting, size, easy/hard to drive, accessories, synergy to available set up, synergy to songs that we usually listen to, how easy to maintenance, durability, price, etc, etc.

I think Tyll just want to take some (higher end) headphones that easy to enjoy, that's all. I'm kind of agree with his choice in this matter that AFO is a solid choice.

May 14, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,802 of 2,583
Because in the end, at some point, headphone is just a headphone. A tool to listen music. While sound quality is definitely important, but it is not everything. We still need to consider comfort, fitting, size, easy/hard to drive, accessories, synergy to available set up, synergy to songs that we usually listen to, how easy to maintenance, durability, price, etc, etc.

I think Tyll just want to take some (higher end) headphones that easy to enjoy, that's all. I'm kind of agree with his choice in this matter that AFO is a solid choice.

He definitely picked out great pairs of headphones for his new adventure. He’ll be missed and hope to hear his Ukulele one day.

May 14, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,803 of 2,583

That being said, a member of the industry has given him a Focal Clear as a gift, just today, as that is apparently his favorite headphone. :)

May 14, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,804 of 2,583
That is a well deserved gift. Tyll thinks it's the only one above 1k he recommends.

I'm going to miss his reviews; it's a shame he didn't look at the VOCE.

May 15, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,805 of 2,583
Is there anyone using their AFO with the 2 notch filters?
Can anyone comment on the AFO vs LCD2C regarding warmness and treble response? Many thanks!

May 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,806 of 2,583
I think few people use the 2-notch, unless your amp be bright. Look for the LCD2C in the forum, I've read a couple of comparisons. To sum it up, the LCD is less warmth and has more bass impact than the AFO

May 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,807 of 2,583
I think few people use the 2-notch, unless your amp be bright. Look for the LCD2C in the forum, I've read a couple of comparisons. To sum it up, the LCD is less warmth and has more bass impact than the AFO
Even though I’ve never owned but heard the LCD2 plenty of times, I’d like to ask about the bass compared to the AFO.
I could be considered a basshead but it must be tight, fast, good decay, slam etc.
With that said, once I reach 85dB on the AFO, it slams and I think it hits pretty hard and I’m actually satisfied with the quantity and quality of the bass for my needs.
Does the LCD2 have that much better bass response versus the AFO in this regard? Always been interested in doing a direct A/B comparison but have never had that oopportunity. Still interested in picking up a pair posssibly. Anyone own both that could give an opinion?

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,808 of 2,583
Even though I’ve never owned but heard the LCD2 plenty of times, I’d like to ask about the bass compared to the AFO.
I could be considered a basshead but it must be tight, fast, good decay, slam etc.
With that said, once I reach 85dB on the AFO, it slams and I think it hits pretty hard and I’m actually satisfied with the quantity and quality of the bass for my needs.
Does the LCD2 have that much better bass response versus the AFO in this regard? Always been interested in doing a direct A/B comparison but have never had that oopportunity. Still interested in picking up a pair posssibly. Anyone own both that could give an opinion?
The LCD2C subbass is stronger. So, it'll dig really low and strong.

The AFO has more of a mid-bass hump which can be more attention-grabbing, but doesn't extend quite as far.

May 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,809 of 2,583
Thanks, I read a lot of comparisons already. The thing is the AFO treble occasionally can be slightly too hot/strong to my ears. I was wondering whether the LCD2C treble is a little more laid back.
Next Saturday I will have a chance to audition the LCD2C and the AFC and compare them to my AFO. Opinions are so controversial on each and every factor of these headphones that I had to arrange an audition myself to find out the 'truth'. :)

May 15, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,810 of 2,583
Thanks, I read a lot of comparisons already. The thing is the AFO treble occasionally can be slightly too hot/strong to my ears. I was wondering whether the LCD2C treble is a little more laid back.

Next Saturday I will have a chance to audition the LCD2C and the AFC and compare them to my AFO. Opinions are so controversial on each and every factor of these headphones that I had to arrange an audition myself to find out the 'truth'. :)
The black foam effectively handles the treble. Beyond that there's more of a dampening effect to the entire sound signature which you may or may not like. The black foam is perfect for me...reduces the treble energy a hair without muddying things up too badly.

From your description, I think you can take the AFC off your list.

If the AFO treble is too much for you even with the filters, then the LCD2C may be your cup of tea. It is warmer/gentler up top.

May 24, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #1,811 of 2,583
How bad is the sound leaking here? Also, does this have more bass than the Closed? How do compare to the Final Audio Sonorous VI and HD6XX?

May 24, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,812 of 2,583

Did you ever get a chance to do your audition between the AFO and LCD-2?

May 24, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,813 of 2,583
How bad is the sound leaking here? Also, does this have more bass than the Closed? How do compare to the Final Audio Sonorous VI and HD6XX?

650 has poor bass and treble extension. AFO on the other hand has better extensions on both ends, especially the bass extension. So it rumbles better than the 6xx. AFO's bass hits, while warm and a bit thumpy, is cleaner and better defined. Mid-range is almost similar between the 2, but AFO is a bit more resolving than the 650. Treble is also more detailed on the AFO, than the unmodded 650. Both HPs are quite forgiving of poorly recorded tracks.

With a right amp, 650 sounds more open and yet has a forward presentation that is intimate. AFO is not as intimate as the 650, but it feels closed in. So overall, its stage is slightly larger than the 650, but doesn't sound as open. AFO also has better instrument separation and a more precise imaging. AFO is a bit more precise.

But 6XX/650 is a peculiar headphone. A modded 650, when paired with certain amps, scales up exponentially. It doesn't transform into a completely new headphone. But these amps help bring out certain hidden potential of the 650, like bass slam, micro dynamics, micr-details, that makes it a super-650. That's why you'd see some people with $5k amps and having only the 650. AFO on the other hand doesn't scale exponentially. But enough to show the capabilities of the better upstream gear. It performs admirably even on modest gear. But there are certain aspects that even the super-650 can't match with the AFO, like sub-bass extension and precision. Similarly, there are certain aspects in which the super-650 is superior to the AFO.

May 31, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,815 of 2,583
Hi I'm a longtime enthusiast and this is my first post. I recently gutted most of my collection (several HD800s, a Beyer T1(1st gen), and my SR-009) after finally trying the Audioquest Nighthawks (about 2500 hours listening in on them) and I was looking for more headphones with that type of flavor. I had a question about the actual feeling of pressure(sealing pressure on the eardrums) on these headphones. How does it compare to the alphadog or alpha prime? Although great headphones, I could only wear them for about 15 minutes at a time without pain.

For reference, the others I am considering are the Audeze LCD2C and the Focal Clear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back