Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #197 of 419
I sold my C5 because it couldn't give me enough volume to my mad dogs. I got the PB2s now

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #199 of 419
You might want to consider saving a bit more for something nicer, unless there are good solutions in that price range...It's not a market I really keep up with. Try it with the HTC One alone first. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well it drove the MD, though the volume could not get crazy loud.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #200 of 419
  okay a bit of confusion cause im a noob now abt the balanced cable does it affect the sq too much , second i thought that balanced means that the balanced version is much more neutral and balanced that the cans are more modified i will be glaad ifsomeone can can explain this balanced thing in a bit of a detail.

This is the type of balanced they were talking about.  They weren't talking about high/mid/low being balanced, which is something else.
Balanced Headphones 
Balanced headphones are headphones that have been wired for balanced, or differential drive operation. Normally headphones have three connections: a left and right signal that is connected to the + side of the driver coil and then a common return for the - side of the driver coil. This common connection and its contact and other resistances to ground allow a small amount of cross-talk between channels to develop. Balanced headphones have four connections with a normal and inverted audio signal driving the = and - side of the driver coils for each channel. While this method requires special four-channel balanced headphone amplifiers, it completely removes the opportunity for cross-talk at the headphones and effectively doubles the slew rate of the amplifier/headphone system providing significantly cleaner sound.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/balanced-drive-faq.php

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #201 of 419
This is why splitting this off from the main thread was a bad idea.  There was just a review of using the Mad Dog with a balanced amp and comparing with single-ended, in the main Mad Dog thread.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #202 of 419
can someone shed some on how well do the e12 go with md's or any other amp at 150 dollars of price point.Also how will a 3.5mm plug amp perform with the balanced md's using a adptor for xlr to 3.5mm since xlr amp's are expensive ???

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #203 of 419
  can someone shed some on how well do the e12 go with md's or any other amp at 150 dollars of price point.Also how will a 3.5mm plug amp perform with the balanced md's using a adptor for xlr to 3.5mm since xlr amp's are expensive ???

I'm interested in opinions on the e12, too. I was going to get the JDS c5d amp/dac but since a few people have said it doesn't have enough power, I'm looking into other things. Portable amps (with a possible dac) in the $150 range would be great!

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #204 of 419
  I'm interested in opinions on the e12, too. I was going to get the JDS c5d amp/dac but since a few people have said it doesn't have enough power, I'm looking into other things. Portable amps (with a possible dac) in the $150 range would be great!

i think e17 fits the bill at 140 bucks but don't know how well do they go with md's

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #205 of 419
I just picked up an iBasso D12 last week, and it pairs very nicely with my Mad Dogs.  It's quite an improvement over the Fiio E17 (which I bought, and then promptly got rid of).  The amp portion has plenty of power and my portable rig sounds much better.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #206 of 419
  This is why splitting this off from the main thread was a bad idea.  There was just a review of using the Mad Dog with a balanced amp and comparing with single-ended, in the main Mad Dog thread.

Post a link or re-post here. If you don't like the thread, don't participate.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #207 of 419
  i think e17 fits the bill at 140 bucks but don't know how well do they go with md's

It will provide plenty of volume, but I suspect that the MDs don't quite live up to their full potential with the E17. For me, I use it with Foobar2000/Wasapi and it sounds pretty damned good, but I have no frame of reference. There may be better options in that price range, but perhaps not many.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #208 of 419
From Head-fi Member EAC3:
Quote:
I just thought I would drop in with a quick note. I have been listening and burning in both my new balanced Mad Dogs 3.2 and my NFB-28. I recently switched back and plugged in my original Single Ended (1/4") Mad Dogs v3.2 to my new NFB-28.

I have only compared it with one song that I am really in love with (so I know alot of the cues and different parts of the song to look forward to) and what I immediately notice is that the single-ended version sounds a little bit dark, sort of cramped, or closed in whereas the balanced version sounds wider, having more room for minor details to be heard. I am not sure if this is what you guys refer to as a wider soundstage, but that was my impression. I am definitely thinking about an all balanced setup from now on, and will most likely be upgrading my single ended version of the Mad Dogs to the balanced version of the Alpha Dogs or something else.

Oh, also the bass is more present on the balanced version. I believe it is subtle, but noticeable. I will do more listening now that I was able to steal my single ended Mad dogs back from my fiancee 
smile.gif

EDIT: Had my fiancee listened to both and she can definitely hear a difference. Her words for the single ended version were "sounds muffled" and "I didn't realize something could sound better than these"

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #209 of 419

IMO - THe E12 has more than enough power and sounds really good with the MD's. At this price point, I believe it is one of the better options available. The plus is the bass response. If I was to be extra critical I'd say the sound leans just slightly dark but that's a preference to me so all the better.

In comparison my ALO RxMKIII sounds much more even and has a better overall sound (but at $600 it should).

I would definitely recommend the E12 as a portable < $150 amp for the MD's. I believe most people would be happy with that choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back