Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #181 of 419
  I get a log of questions about portable amp and DAC/Amp combos at all prices.  Most of the discussion on this thread is desktop, so what are you all finding for portable?

I'm almost exclusively portable. My strong preference is the ALO Rx MkIII-B. It gives me the power that I need and seems to be fairly even in terms of sound accuracy. The bass knob allows for some color to be added but not nearly as much as my FiiO E12 bass boost switch. The ALO has nice forward mids and highs without being raspy or over the top. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #182 of 419
  I get a log of questions about portable amp and DAC/Amp combos at all prices.  Most of the discussion on this thread is desktop, so what are you all finding for portable?

I believe someone wrote a very good review about their (balanced) Mad Dogs using the HiFi-M8 http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/ and they seem to love it. Those interested can probably find his review in the main Mad Dog thread.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #183 of 419
Has anyone out there tried the Mad Dogs with any of the usb-powered dac/amps (DacPort, Meridian Explorer, ALO Island, HRT MicrStreamer, etc.)?  If so, impressions?  I fear they may be underpowered for driving Mad Dogs, but don't really know.  Thanks.

Also, a bump on the portable amp question (battery powered for use with mobile device)...Anything below $300 recommended?

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #184 of 419
I believe someone tried the alpha dogs with the ALO Island and had good things to say about that. Its somewhere in the Alpha dogs thread but I'm not sure. I believe it was posted within the last week

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #185 of 419
I currently got the Schiit Magni amp and a Audio Engine D1 but i would like to start using the D1 for my speakers, what would be a good DAC choice for the Magni or should i just get a Modi i have $200 to spend and i live in Australia where everything is double the price <.< so you know the Modi is $210 here

Edit: Just went with the Modi

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #186 of 419
I recently picked up a pair of used Mad Dogs.  I can not believe how good they are plugged straight into my pc and running JRiver media.  I had hoped to run them off a vintage amp I have, but this hasn't worked out I think because the amp is very low powered SET. 

So I am onto thinking and reading about a new dedicated amp - hence this thread.  I have read this thread through a couple of times and still not sure what amps are a great match - sounds like I couldn't go too far wrong with an Asgard 2.  I like the idea of a simple solid state desktop solution that has some reasonable portability (I can take it with me on holidays).  Is anyone in a permanent relationship with this amp and mad dogs? 

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #187 of 419
I use my mad dogs 3.2 SE almost everyday at work and the trip home on the train with my PB2s driven by the DX50 and they beat my desktop setup at home which is an Audio Gd 15.32. I'm not much of a reviewer so can only say they sound very very good.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #189 of 419
  is e17 or e12 or e11 enough for mad dogs or do they need expensive amps to really come through ???

It depends on how you define "enough".  Late at night, I use my Mad Dogs straight out of my Thinkpad laptop, and it sounds just fine.   I am mostly listening to Youtube, so nothing terribly critical.

As a general rule, the Mad Dog will sound better with better equipment.

It's one of those things, where at each level, it sounds good, except when you compare it directly to the better gear.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #190 of 419

It depends on how you define "enough".  Late at night, I use my Mad Dogs straight out of my Thinkpad laptop, and it sounds just fine.   I am mostly listening to Youtube, so nothing terribly critical.

As a general rule, the Mad Dog will sound better with better equipment.

It's one of those things, where at each level, it sounds good, except when you compare it directly to the better gear.
wink.gif

well its gonna be my first one and only can which i will have so that's why enough for me is sound stage should be good ,neutral sig, sound has to be detailed and good bass (not a basshead) and natural treble.Also i have been wanting to ask that universal mad dogs are the balanced version with 3.5mm cable ??? or should i go for nad hp50 ?

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #193 of 419
okay a bit of confusion cause im a noob now abt the balanced cable does it affect the sq too much , second i thought that balanced means that the balanced version is much more neutral and balanced that the cans are more modified i will be glaad ifsomeone can can explain this balanced thing in a bit of a detail.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #194 of 419
  okay a bit of confusion cause im a noob now abt the balanced cable does it affect the sq too much , second i thought that balanced means that the balanced version is much more neutral and balanced that the cans are more modified i will be glaad ifsomeone can can explain this balanced thing in a bit of a detail.

These are all subjective opinions. Some hear benefit from balanced, some don't hear any difference from single-ended termination. Those that do hear the benefit all agree that your system in front of the headphone terminated balanced must also be fully balanced.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #195 of 419
I just ordered a pair of Mad Dogs and have been looking into portable amps to pair them with. I'm really leaning towards the JDS c5 or possibly the c5d so that I'd have a DAC to go with it. I see that some people question whether the c5 has enough power to drive Mad Dogs. Does anyone use the c5 with them? I was originally looking into the Fiio e12 but I think I'd prefer the more neutral sound of the c5 if it would drive them well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back