Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #346 of 419
I can tell you guys now, the M.D. (I have 3.2 w alpha) and Vali make an excellent pairing. I highly recommend that pair with a decent source.
A $250 tube amp ends up costing more, perhaps about $500... because once you have tubes, then you will want to try various ones to see what fits your tastes.   Generally, the current production tubes that are used in tube amps suck, but amp makers have no choice, because they there is no quantity source of reliable 50 year old tubes.

So, the fact that the Vali has soldered tubes makes it an especially good value. :)

I just got my Mad Dogs upgraded to the Pro version and am really enjoying the improved sound. It's a very worthwhile upgrade! I've been powering them with a Magni but have been interested trying a tube-based amp. If I make the change to tubes I'd use the Magni in the office.

My budget is probably $250 or less so I don't know what the real options are, outside of the Schiit Vali (which seems like a good match and a great value at $120). I'm interested in any suggested amps to consider in addition to the Vali.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #348 of 419
If you guys want this headphone but dont want an amp, look at the HTC one M8, I just got it and it power the headphone quiet well with decent volume. loud enough to satisfy me, the LG G2 dint give me any volume at all.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #349 of 419
  If you guys want this headphone but dont want an amp, look at the HTC one M8, I just got it and it power the headphone quiet well with decent volume. loud enough to satisfy me, the LG G2 dint give me any volume at all.

Which DAC chip does that M8 have?

May 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #352 of 419
Matt I remember you having a lyr power the MD. Did you have any problems with the lyr giving too much power? Since it's 4.0 w for 50 ohms I'm not really gonna have much room to turn the volume pot. There aren't gain switches on the lyr either.

May 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #355 of 419
Matt I remember you having a lyr power the MD. Did you have any problems with the lyr giving too much power? Since it's 4.0 w for 50 ohms I'm not really gonna have much room to turn the volume pot. There aren't gain switches on the lyr either.

Its not linear power at 50ohms. As you crank up the volume the more power goes to the headphone and you won't be able to crank it all the way, don't even try.

May 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #356 of 419
I'm not worried about not being able to turn it up enough. I'm more worried that I don't have much control since there's so much power going to the phones.
Its not linear power at 50ohms. As you crank up the volume the more power goes to the headphone and you won't be able to crank it all the way, don't even try.

May 7, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #357 of 419
  I'm not worried about not being able to turn it up enough. I'm more worried that I don't have much control since there's so much power going to the phones.

I'm not an audio/electrical engineer but I'm pretty sure that's not how an amp work. you will not blow it, I used my Schiit lyr on lesser headphone and it dint blow it. The only way for you to blow them up is you crank the headphone volume to ridiculous level for a long time.

May 14, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #358 of 419
It's interesting that the 15.32 and 11.32 are mentioned on the first page of this thread but I've just read the whole thread and I don't think I saw a single person who'd actually tried the pairing.

I just picked up a used pair of 3.2 w/Alpha pads and they don't pair that well with my Matrix M-Stage.  I find the sound far too dark.  I love my M-stage with the Q701, but it's not doing it for me with the MD's for anything but jazz.  I was looking to pick up something slightly brighter but not too bright so it works with both cans.  The 15.32 and 11.32 are high on my list.  Anyone actually tried them yet?

Also, side note, I know the E11 isn't supposed to be able to power the MD's well, but I honestly like the sound signature better with the E11 than the M-stage.  And I have no volume issues when double amping from my sound card at work (Recon3D USB for now).

May 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #359 of 419
I'm driving my MDs from my Compass (V1), and I'm actually not that impressed by them, to be honest. I've got it set to neutral and with an earth OP-amp inside.
Not sure if it's the phones or the amp, since I've got nothing else to compare it to.
Also; I'm not sure how the 11/15.32 compare to the old gal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back