Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing Recommendation/Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #286 of 419
  Hey everyone,

I asked this in another Mad Dog thread but I will ask here as well for more clarification. I currently have the Fiio E11, how does it respond to the Mad Dogs? I will be using a receiver with my record player but for portable use, does the E11 do it's job well enough until I upgrade in the future?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent. 
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure Dan would tell you that the E11 doesn't have enough power to drive the Mad dogs, but I'm sure it would give them a little volume boots. Dan mentioned earlier in this thread that E12 is one FiiO that drives the Mad dogs. What's your source?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #287 of 419

I'm pretty sure Dan would tell you that the E11 doesn't have enough power to drive the Mad dogs, but I'm sure it would give them a little volume boots. Dan mentioned earlier in this thread that E12 is one FiiO that drives the Mad dogs. What's your source?

Sony Walkman Portable CD Player, Zune HD with a mixture of 392 kbps and FLAC. I also listen to vinyl via a record player connected to a Sony receiver. 

Are there any other reasonably priced amps (less than 100) that I could pick up or should I keep saving for a better amp down the road?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #288 of 419

Sony Walkman Portable CD Player, Zune HD with a mixture of 392 kbps and FLAC. I also listen to vinyl via a record player connected to a Sony receiver. 

Are there any other reasonably priced amps (less than 100) that I could pick up or should I keep saving for a better amp down the road?

If you're not looking for portability, a used Schiit Magni would be good! Personally, I power my Mad Dogs from a Fiio X3, and it's pretty good on high gain. I'll use an amp for more critical listening sessions, though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #289 of 419

If you're not looking for portability, a used Schiit Magni would be good! Personally, I power my Mad Dogs from a Fiio X3, and it's pretty good on high gain. I'll use an amp for more critical listening sessions, though.

The Schiit Magni was one I had in mind, I might buy that soon. 

When I finally buy the Mad Dogs, the Fiio E11 will be my short-term amp while I get enough money for the Schiit Magni. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #290 of 419

The Schiit Magni was one I had in mind, I might buy that soon. 

When I finally buy the Mad Dogs, the Fiio E11 will be my short-term amp while I get enough money for the Schiit Magni. 

Well, best of luck with that! Just be aware that the E11 won't do you much...

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #292 of 419
Good! You're gonna like what you hear. I guarantee it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #295 of 419
I haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, so I don't know if it has been recommended yet, but the Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G is a perfect match for these headphones.  I can't imagine a better amp to use with these. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #296 of 419
I need a recommendation

I have seen the Mad Dog's in various threads with very positive reviews. I listen many kinds of music, New Age, Celtic music, Chillout, Metal (Power, Symphonic, Heavy), Latin Jazz and Fussion Jazz, Cassical, Hard Rock and Rock and Roll, and a little of Pop and Electronic. I have a laptop with a Realtek HiFi sound card, that doesn't sound bad.

I would like to know if the MD's will suit my needs????

If yes, I would like to purchase a portable setup to my travels, not specifically to use with MD's, but that could use with them and give me a big smile when I stay in home. The problem is that my Budget is only $250 (For Amp + DAP)

I have seen this options:

- Fiio X3 (without Amp)
- Sansa Clip + Portable Amp (C&C BH2, JDS O2, Ibasso T5 or D2+, Fiio E12, other...)

Note: I'm searching for the most clean and detailed sound, with the better soundstage in my budget

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #297 of 419
Well I just emailed Dan through his website asking if the JDS C5 or the Leckerton UHA-4 would be a better portable amp for the Mad Dogs. He said the C5 didn't provide enough power and that he hadn't heard the Lacekrton. Then he suggested I go with the Audioquest Dragonfly if I'm laptop based. Usually I am listening through my laptop, but I'd really like to be able to hook it up to my iPhone 5 (spotify mostly) and my ipod nano.

So now I'm thinking either Dragonfly or the E12.... I would love help!

Would the Dragonfly be enough to drive the mad dogs alone without a separate amp?

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #298 of 419
In my email conversation with Dan he suggested the dragonfly as a good option for under $200. Its USB though so no good for portable. But if Dan suggested it then I'm sure it will drive the dogs to good volume, it's got some great reviews too if you look around.

Also just to clarify he recommended the dragonfly over the jds labs C5, as an under $200 option.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #299 of 419
does anyone here have experience with small amp (fiio E6 and below) I realized small amp wont do much, but I do travel sometime and I really dont want to bring extra thing like an AMP on board, too many wires, too much to carried  blah blah blah.

I bought a NUforce MMP hopefully it can give enough to help, from what I read the Nuforce is supposely a little bit more power than the E6, but not much was confirm.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #300 of 419
It isn't often mentioned on this thread, if ever, but the A&K100 is a very good little unit.  While I usually use it as a transport it works quite well on its own and a recent firmware update allows it to play louder than it used to.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back