Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #121 of 589
I find them a bit too big for portable use and their comfort is meh. The best thing they have going for them considering their price is their looks and build. I think the Momentum On-ear is the better choice out of the two, especially for portable use. Of the two, it's the one I would go for not only because it's much cheaper, but because it's smaller form factor and is much more comfortable while sounding comparable if a bit different in terms of sound quality.

They do have some excellent sound quality :) except for the loose bass (when unamped) and narrowish soundstage but that's all. Narrow soundstage are found in typical closed headphones so it's not a deal breaker unless you are used to a more open sound.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #122 of 589
Overrated: ATH-M50 (even though I own one xD),
AKG K701: too thin sounding for me and lacking in the bass. Sold after 1 week of use.
AD700: most bass-light headphone I have ever heard.

Underrated: definitely the sony MDR ma900, I'll have a review on them soon.
Beyerdynamic DT440, why one earth does nobody know about these?

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #123 of 589
Overrated: Senn HD650. I got so carried away after reading all the glowing reviews i bought them blind. Was so disappointed, it has clarity but such a non-engaging, boring sound, sold them in 3 months. Never will I buy a HP without hearing them first unless I get a good deal on a used one so i don't suffer a big loss if I re-sell them.

Underrated: none so far. All other HP's in my collection are pretty well appreciated.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #124 of 589
So many say Sony ma900 is underated.

Can someone please explain in few sentences why that? Can someone describe in a few words their sound signature?

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #127 of 589
  Overrated - I must say (many will dissagree with me as it seems) beyerdynamics is really overrated, maybe not so expensive, but I see so many say good things about it but I really can't listen to them. They feel so flat for me compared with my q701 and hd650. I don't think I will ever enjoy a beyerdynamics phone.

Underrated - Well I would say akg q701. I got both hd650 and q701 and the akg is probably just as good as the hd650 :) They shine at a bit different stuff but still amazing phones for the price. Also listened to many Ultrasones and even the expensive ones can't even compete with the q701 imo.

Which ones ? All of them or some of them or one of them ?

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #128 of 589
The Momentum to me are definitely not overated! Indeed they are overpriced but it is to me, not overated. They are excellent for portable use except for it's non-foldable design. Of corse they don't sound as good as a lot of headphones at the same price but those headphones aren't as portable as Momntum and doesn't look as good as
wink.gif

Buddy, we are devoted to the music and you do not listen to it with your eyes.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #129 of 589
All of them ? Which ones ? ...there are a few of them.
I was at a store and sat down and listened to dt 770 - t70, didnt like any of them, way too joyless. I even listened with several amps, (including their expensive beyerdynamic one wich I didnt like either haha, dunno if there is a gain switch or so since I had to turn the knob to max). So yea, I think im not an beyer person.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #130 of 589
:mad::mad:
Buddy, we are devoted to the music and you do not listen to it with your eyes.

I don't listen to music with my eyes either but then again, the Momentum has some excellent build quality with excellent material and I think that is one of the reason why Sennheiser mark it so high! That is where 1/5 of the value came from! Another 1/5 on the packages and accessories lastly, 3/5 of the value came from the SQ, research done while designing those lil germs etc. :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #132 of 589
  Overrated: Senn HD650. I got so carried away after reading all the glowing reviews i bought them blind. Was so disappointed, it has clarity but such a non-engaging, boring sound, sold them in 3 months. Never will I buy a HP without hearing them first unless I get a good deal on a used one so i don't suffer a big loss if I re-sell them.

Underrated: none so far. All other HP's in my collection are pretty well appreciated.

HD650 no engaging? What were you amping them with?!

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #133 of 589
So many say Sony ma900 is underated.

Can someone please explain in few sentences why that? Can someone describe in a few words their sound signature?

The ma900 isnt underrated. It gets extremely good reviews from the people that actually have listened to them, it just doesn't get much attention because of the style, build, marketing, and low price.

Its really really good though and it would have more attention if they marketed it like the 1r..

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #135 of 589
  HD650 no engaging? What were you amping them with?!

LOL.   As incredible as it might seem, the signature of the HD650 is not for everyone...no matter what amp is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back