Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #92 of 589

I said, "I think they're overrated given the decade we're on - $400 should buy you much more than an HD 600". In other words, their technology is from way back in the '90s and we should be asking for something more advanced for $400.

Other than that, and I've mentioned this before, the attitude you have there - arguing without basis - is exactly why we can buy these other headphones so much cheaper than the HD 600.

I'm totally for buying cheaper if it is better, I prefer vintage amps than any dedicated ones quadrupling the price. 

I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from if you are not just saying things for effect. My understanding of the technology of headphones is that basically they haven't changed that much in the last 40 years. The materials used in drivers are now more advanced however, but the only driver to really break the mold in recent years is in the HD800 with its ring driver (precious :) Electrostats and Planar technology has been around many many decades. So "way back in the 90's" isn't really that long ago. 

What would more advanced be? it's a bit like saying, "I'm not buying that car for $400... It was made way back in the 90's and It's got rubber tyres!"  

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #94 of 589
Nuuuuuuuuuu! I think it's probably because Grado's house sound are not for you
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally love them ^_^

Originally Posted by Trunks159 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think he (we) is/are saying is that the SR80i all the way to the SR325i sounds pretty similar. 

Certainly would agree with this on the low end of the line.  That said, they do bring certain music to life like no other headphones!

When I bought my Grados, I went in thinking 125s but prepared to spend the $200 for the 225s.  I listened to them all and actually chose the SR60s...keeping the extra $120 in my pocket!

If I had to rate the low end of the Grado line based on sound alone (for my tastes), it would be  SR60 > SR125 > SR80 > SR225

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #96 of 589
Question(s) -- kinda related to the comments so far.

My fall headphone purchase is going to be a Q701, HD600, or a DT880 to round out my mid-tier before going on a saving hiatus to get some Orthos (probably HE-500s) next year.

I have 558s, 990s, and 770s.  Like them all for different reasons.  I'm leaning towards the Q701 because I don't have any mid-tier AKGs and their price/performance seems the highest to me based on what I've read. Also, I think getting an AKG might help me decide down the road on an end-game set if the K812 is any good for the money.

My questions are:

- Is it worth getting the 600 when I have the 558s...or am I gonna put them on and go 'wow, my 558s sound a little better today'?
- If you own (or have owned) these, could you provide some brief comparisons?...it'd be great to hear your thoughts.

PM's are fine if this would derail the thread too much!  :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #97 of 589
I auditioned the 598s which are supposed to be similar (some even claim they use the same driver) to the HD600s, which I own. A friend also leant me his K701s for a week, and I've listened to the DT880s briefly.

The largest difference for me was the sound signature. Technical capabilities aside, I think the HD600s have an uncanny way of making things sound very real and lifelike. People like me, who adore its timber and tonal accuracy don't care about its unspectacular technical performance. This is why some consider it one of the best, and others just boring and overrated, which is a very fair statement, especially considering the competition. 

For example, I can tell you with confidence that the Q701 and the DT880 will trump the HD600 in the soundstage department. They will sound more airy, and give you the impression of greater detail due to their greater treble response. Not to mention they cost less. But the HD600s offer something different, that can be just as special (or underwhelming), depending who you are. In the end, you just have to think of your priorities :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #98 of 589
  I auditioned the 598s which are supposed to be similar (some even claim they use the same driver) to the HD600s, which I own. A friend also leant me his K701s for a week, and I've listened to the DT880s briefly.

The largest difference for me was the sound signature. Technical capabilities aside, I think the HD600s have an uncanny way of making things sound very real and lifelike. People like me, who adore its timber and tonal accuracy don't care about its unspectacular technical performance. This is why some consider it one of the best, and others just boring and overrated, which is a very fair statement, especially considering the competition. 

For example, I can tell you with confidence that the Q701 and the DT880 will trump the HD600 in the soundstage department. They will sound more airy, and give you the impression of greater detail due to their greater treble response. Not to mention they cost less. But the HD600s offer something different, that can be just as special (or underwhelming), depending who you are. In the end, you just have to think of your priorities :)

Unimpressive Soundstage of the 6XX was mainly because of the treble , my he300s beat the 880s in overall sense of air with again my equipment , its far more distant , the laid back sig of the 6XX makes them less speaker-like and that's why they got the famous " 3 blob soundstage" banner , the accentuated upper treble region of the he300s beats the 880s in imaging in my opinion but again scaling up is not as good , never tried the 701s so not gonna talk about that ........

And as far as the 598 is concerned I have no idea how it deserves to come here , the drivers ain't the same - the sound ain't the same, for the price the ma900 is far better than the 598 in fact they have a wider soundstage than my 650s , I owned them for a month .....

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #99 of 589
  Unimpressive Soundstage of the 6XX was mainly because of the treble , my he300s beat the 880s in overall sense of air with again my equipment , its far more distant , the laid back sig of the 6XX makes them less speaker-like and that's why they got the famous " 3 blob soundstage" banner , the accentuated upper treble region of the he300s beats the 880s in imaging in my opinion but again scaling up is not as good , never tried the 701s so not gonna talk about that ........

And as far as the 598 is concerned I have no idea how it deserves to come here , the drivers ain't the same - the sound ain't the same, for the price the ma900 is far better than the 598 in fact they have a wider soundstage than my 650s , I owned them for a month .....

I love the HD600 and they are my favourite headphone at the moment, but I definitely agree with the "3 blob soundstage" - it almost sounds like taking a 5.1 speaker system and putting the "front" left and right speakers on either side of my ears. I get sound directly in front (centre channel vocals), to the sides, and behind me, but there's a gap between the sides and the front.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #100 of 589
  I'm totally for buying cheaper if it is better, I prefer vintage amps than any dedicated ones quadrupling the price. 

I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from if you are not just saying things for effect. My understanding of the technology of headphones is that basically they haven't changed that much in the last 40 years. The materials used in drivers are now more advanced however, but the only driver to really break the mold in recent years is in the HD800 with its ring driver (precious :) Electrostats and Planar technology has been around many many decades. So "way back in the 90's" isn't really that long ago. 

What would more advanced be? it's a bit like saying, "I'm not buying that car for $400... It was made way back in the 90's and It's got rubber tyres!"  

More advanced - taking an extreme view for effect - would be e.g. a model that could automatically compensate to a perceptually flat response (or whichever desired) for any given person's anatomy and gear. There's plenty of progress to be made, but at $400 today, the HD 600 aren't much cheaper relatively than they were in the '90s.

Also, to get back to the original idea about the HD 600 being overrated, I see a lot of people praise them for their midrange, but I seriously can't hear anything but typical mid-fi dynamic grain in the mids after having had the pleasure of a few good orthos and some decent stats, all of which cost me less than the HD 600.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #101 of 589
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, I agree with the lifelike sound of Sennheiser.  For me it even comes through in the 558 compared to my Beyers.  The unknown for me is the Q701 which, from the reviews, sounds like it's a K with a little more bass...which is good, but if a can gets too analytical it bores me.  As an example, I bought RE-Zero IEM and am impressed with their detailing but they don't get much ear time.

FWIW, I actually like the 558s better than the 598s and that's partially why I asked the first question...from what you're saying, though, the 600 is in a different league.

Originally Posted by MrTechAgent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haven't thought about the HE300s.  Got a chance to listen to the 400s and 500s recently -- liking the 500s better.  That shop has 300s...so I'll have to listen to them next time we're in Michigan.

Originally Posted by blueangel2323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the HD600 and they are my favourite headphone at the moment, but I definitely agree with the "3 blob soundstage" - it almost sounds like taking a 5.1 speaker system and putting the "front" left and right speakers on either side of my ears. I get sound directly in front (centre channel vocals), to the sides, and behind me, but there's a gap between the sides and the front.

Thanks...sounds like I need to find a shop that carries these.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #103 of 589
Certainly would agree with this on the low end of the line.  That said, they do bring certain music to life like no other headphones!

When I bought my Grados, I went in thinking 125s but prepared to spend the $200 for the 225s.  I listened to them all and actually chose the SR60s...keeping the extra $120 in my pocket!

If I had to rate the low end of the Grado line based on sound alone (for my tastes), it would be  SR60 > SR125 > SR80 > SR225

I personally like my SR60i for every single genre of music I listen to! I even uses it for EDM, dubstep, house and other kind of music genre which involve strong bass xD definitely love them! The forward vocals sound lively to me. Can't wait to pair it with an amp xD

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #105 of 589
The over/under has a lot to do with amp matching from purely a sound only decision. Throw in price and there are a lot of over hyped cans in this marketing machine. There are also a lot of under rated cans because of amping. If you get the hint about amping, it makes a dull can become a different beast. But just because its called amp doesn't mean it performs like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back