Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #76 of 589

I think they're overrated given the decade we're on - $400 should buy you much more than an HD 600. I also think a lot of people haven't heard anything better (because they're an easy choice for a first good can), so they get hype.

What would you consider to be better than the HD600 at that price point? 

IMO there isn't really anything better under $1000... Apart from the HE500 perhaps. But of course its just a matter of taste and what you want from a headphone. There are no surprises with the Senn's, just a very natural tone with a realistic image and airy soundstage. They are probably the most versatile hp going. Nothing sounds bad on them!   

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #77 of 589

IMO there isn't really anything better under $1000... Apart from the HE500 perhaps. But of course its just a matter of taste and what you want from a headphone. There are no surprises with the Senn's, just a very natural tone with a realistic image and airy soundstage. They are probably the most versatile hp going. Nothing sounds bad on them!   

The 600's granddaddy, HD 530, aren't as good technically but have a more realistic timbre and I like them better for it; 20 € used; can also try the HD 540 and HD 560. The modded Yamaha HP-50 have a similar sound - depending on how you mod them - but are more detailed and an overall step up in realism; 10-40 € used. The modded Senn unipolar are in a completely different league; 20-80 € used. The Stax SR-5 are kinda similar but a bit treblier and more lifelike in the mids; 100 € used.

Just to list a few.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #79 of 589

The 600's granddaddy, HD 530, aren't as good technically but have a more realistic timbre and I like them better for it; 20 € used; can also try the HD 540 and HD 560. The modded Yamaha HP-50 have a similar sound - depending on how you mod them - but are more detailed and an overall step up in realism; 10-40 € used. The modded Senn unipolar are in a completely different league; 20-80 € used. The Stax SR-5 are kinda similar but a bit treblier and more lifelike in the mids; 100 € used.

Just to list a few.

You mentioned in this decade my friend :) 

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #80 of 589

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. The HD6x0 has a dark, slow, warmish tone with some bass. It may be a day and night if you put it next to something like Grado. If one LOVES the Grado (let's say), they may find the HD6x0 to sound horrible because it is lacking in vocals. I personally do not find them overated nor underated. It sits nicely in between the two :)

Just my opinion
Billson

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #81 of 589
Have owned the ma900s , have tried the x1s extensively ..... the 880s and 701s belong to the classic trio so .........
I don't think the x1s or the ma900s reach the fidelity of the 6XX , the 880s have the smoothest dynamic transducer, they scale up like the the 6XX and as far as the 598 is concerned I have no idea how people can compare them to the ones mentioned above ?

Also a new headphone by Shure the 1440 is nice but the brightness up top is a deal breaker , he400s are fantastic as well so are the he300s - prefer them over the x1's , ma900s and the 880s (poorly amp'd ) there are may signatures for different moods , I know its important to have a linear (price - sound) headphone but we are enthusiasts we obviously are gonna have multiple , so ............. enjoy what you have and happy listening :D

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #83 of 589

Exactly, my friend. The HD 600 are from the '90s and were outperformed back then as well. The difference is that the phones that outperformed the HD 600 back then can now be had for a fraction of the price of the HD 600.

The HD600's are currently still in production. You said "considering the decade we are on $400 should buy you much more than a HD600". If you can't name any headphones that are better in this decade then that's fine.

Also I seriously doubt that the earlier mid price Senn's were, or are better than the current totl models. I thinks you are talking pony :) 

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #85 of 589
I'll only discuss those headphones that I've owned or spent long-term auditions with, since doing otherwise would be unfair.

My personal opinion of the most overrated headphone I've owned is the AIAIAI TMA-1. It had quite a following a year or two ago as a casual portable can, but when I bought a pair I was sorely disappointed. It was muffled, warm to the point of syrupy darkness, and not isolating enough to really make a good portable.

I wouldn't call the next headphone the most underrated can on Head-Fi, but it definitely deserves more recognition and discussion. Among my collection, my favorite on-the-go headphone is my Pioneer HDJ-2000. It's got sparkling treble that never goes harsh, a slightly accented bass that's detailed enough for any genre, and a midrange that's well presented, if not particularly spectacular. When it's brought up on Head-Fi it usually gets high praise, but those mentions are few and far in between. Of all the Best Buy specials, the HDJ-2000 is the most sonically superior in the field, and the most balanced headphone they sell that's not a pure studio monitor.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #87 of 589
  The HD600's are currently still in production. You said "considering the decade we are on $400 should buy you much more than a HD600". If you can't name any headphones that are better in this decade then that's fine.

Also I seriously doubt that the earlier mid price Senn's were, or are better than the current totl models. I thinks you are talking pony

I said, "I think they're overrated given the decade we're on - $400 should buy you much more than an HD 600". In other words, their technology is from way back in the '90s and we should be asking for something more advanced for $400.

Other than that, and I've mentioned this before, the attitude you have there - arguing without basis - is exactly why we can buy these other headphones so much cheaper than the HD 600.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #88 of 589
I agree on the HD600/650 being over rated at this time. I was never a fan of them myself. Too dark for my taste. Back when they came out they were top notch. But at their price point, there are cans that (for me at least), Are cheaper and sound better. I think they became over rated because of price/performance ratio. Take $100 off the price and they would be a better buy. At least NOW, back then they were top of the heap, now not so much!! Around HD600 for 250ish and 650 for 350ish new would be a better placement.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #89 of 589
The HD600 isn't overrated, its overpriced. People often confuse the two. Tons of the people that have gotten the HD600 actaully like them and aren't disappointed, but the people that buy the dt880 are usually equally as happy or happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back