Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #46 of 589
Hd25 doesn't look charming either but has already gained much popularity for its sound and portability, although it was meant for the same professional purpose as dt250 and many reviews ABing those two always come to the conclusion dt250 is superior .
Maybe just that beyerdynamic is too famous or infamous for the recessed mids or not fun sounding or neutral represented by dt770/880/990, overshadows the beauty of dt150/dt250 line.

Never heard the DT150 but the DT100 is horrendous for anything that's more than just vocals. Very good for monitoring vocals though.

Overrated: Grado SR80i (ducks for cover)
Underrated: Denon D600 (Comfortable, easy to power, and a pleasant frequency curve with nice detail. They give the K550 a run for the money IMO.)

IMO the D600 and K550 are completely different headphones. The D600 are one of my favourite basshead/fun headphones while the K550 is one of the best closed neutral headphones.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #47 of 589
IMO the D600 and K550 are completely different headphones. The D600 are one of my favourite basshead/fun headphones while the K550 is one of the best closed neutral headphones.

They absolutely sound different, but they are both closed cans in the same price range. The D600 are about $100 more new, but used/open box prices are about the same. You can get more out of the D600s IMO, provided you're not in the market for neutrality.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #48 of 589
  I think he (we) is/are saying is that the SR80i all the way to the SR325i sounds pretty similar. 

Exactly; I think the improvements as you move up the line are not worth what they cost.
My favorite Grados so far have been the HF-2, which did not sound like "normal" Grados.
The only Grados I have not heard are the PS500/1000, and the "classic" Grados like the HP1000.

I'm not saying that Grados are bad, but I think they are overrated.

I think the build quality of the higher-end models is poor, considering what you are paying, and I also find Grados to be generally uncomfortable to wear, and that gets worse as you move up the line and they get larger and heavier.

I think Sony reminds people of the good old days when they had cheap $20 Sony IEM's so they just wanna stay away from Sony.  I'm not saying that's what happens consciously, it's more subconscious then anything.  The MDR MA900 also gets a good amount of praise (and the XBA  3 I believe).

Yes, you might be right. Sony has that problem in a lot of their product lines, where they have cheap products that don't do their brand any favors, even though the high end is still "classic Sony" and as well made as it ever was. The problem is that Sony high end is still expensive.

More specific to headphones; it would be nice if Sony made another flagship headphone, because when they do, they are something special indeed.
The Z1000 were not true flagships like the MDR-R10 or Qualias.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #49 of 589
Makes me want to try k240 now

It's worth trying, it scales up very well with better gear in my experience. It's a groovy, warm, and musical sounding headphone, sounds nothing like the higher end AKGs. I think it's one of the most underrated headphones out there, especially since they are so cheap for the sound they produce.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #51 of 589
i think the lcd2.1 has been overshadowed by its predecessor the 2.2 and the 3.

simply put it was the model that put LCD on the highend headphone map.

sure it has its particular sound signature, but for folks who go for that smoky night club scene for that female vocalist, IMHO in this niche it would beat the LCD3 and HD800 hands down.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #53 of 589
underrated:
K501

Overrated:
K701/702 Q701
Heir Audio IEMS
MH1

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #55 of 589

Underrated in what way? They seem to have a mostly positive following and an almost perfect score in the HF reviews section.

They're generally not talked about much, but that goes for any discontinued headphone.

not true...the old denon line d2k, d5k and etc are still talked about.  No one ever talks about the k501 anymore.  Grado pinks, TF10 are all discontinued but are still talked about.  Everyone talks about the new AKG's but they all fall behind the older AKG's.  

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #56 of 589
IMO the SR80i is not overrated.. At $100 it's damn near impossible to find a clearer sounding 'phone. And with all the modding capabilities, it just gets better. Sure they're uncomfortable, but you do get used to it after a while.

Over-rated has to go to the HD800 for me. Sure they have the biggest soundstage on the planet and the detail retrieval is redonkulous, but they just didn't impress me.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 589
IMO the SR80i is not overrated.. At $100 it's damn near impossible to find a clearer sounding 'phone. And with all the modding capabilities, it just gets better. Sure they're uncomfortable, but you do get used to it after a while.

Over-rated has to go to the HD800 for me. Sure they have the biggest soundstage on the planet and the detail retrieval is redonkulous, but they just didn't impress me.

must be damn hard to impress you then

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #58 of 589

not true...the old denon line d2k, d5k and etc are still talked about.  No one ever talks about the k501 anymore.  Grado pinks, TF10 are all discontinued but are still talked about.  Everyone talks about the new AKG's but they all fall behind the older AKG's.  

It's true, and in fact the K 501 receive a good amount of attention compared to some others.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #59 of 589

must be damn hard to impress you then

No, the LCD2 and the Alpha Dogs knocked my socks off.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #60 of 589

It's true, and in fact the K 501 receive a good amount of attention compared to some others.

okay man...not here to argue to with you.  If you think the k501 gets the attention it deserves; fine.  I just don't think it does.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back