Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #31 of 589
I'm amazed the amount of people who think the HD650's are overrated, blasphemy!   You all need taken out for a good
deadhorse.gif

I have just picked up a pair of highly underrated, unloved, and rarely spoken of cans, the MS-Pro's.  The Fan Club thread is a mere 11 pages, the review page only has 5 reviews, and for what i paid for them on ebay, well thats just criminal. I almost feel guilty about it.

My most overrated, (flame coat on), is the SR80i's.  ....sorry i just didnt get on with them.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 589
Beats are definitely the most over-rated, IMO
=P

Not on Head-Fi 
tongue.gif

They're hands down the most hated headphone around these parts. But everywhere else, yes.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the HD650s are overrated. I thought I'd be in for a swarming after I said they weren't incredible.

I think they're a great headphone. But they are overrated in the sense that they're almost exactly the same headphone technically as the more tonally accurate HD600, only with a slightly darker sound signature, and costs $100 more.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 589
Overrated? Any Grados above the SR80. I have either owned or spent a lot of time with most of them, and I just don't think they are worth it at all.

Underrated? I think Sony have a lot of good headphones that people avoid due to how they look on a frequency response chart. Even people like Tyll that are making the charts say they only tell you so much about how a headphone sounds. The MDR-7520 seems to get very little discussion around here, and I think it's one of the best headphones in its class.

There's certainly part of the community here that does appreciate Sony headphones, but it's rare to see any Sony headphones other than perhaps the MDR-1R recommended when people are asking what headphones they should buy.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #35 of 589
I think Sony reminds people of the good old days when they had cheap $20 Sony IEM's so they just wanna stay away from Sony.  I'm not saying that's what happens consciously, it's more subconscious then anything.  The MDR MA900 also gets a good amount of praise (and the XBA  3 I believe).

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #36 of 589
Overrated? Any Grados above the SR80. I have either owned or spent a lot of time with most of them, and I just don't think they are worth it at all.

Underrated? I think Sony have a lot of good headphones that people avoid due to how they look on a frequency response chart. Even people like Tyll that are making the charts say they only tell you so much about how a headphone sounds. The MDR-7520 seems to get very little discussion around here, and I think it's one of the best headphones in its class.

There's certainly part of the community here that does appreciate Sony headphones, but it's rare to see any Sony headphones other than perhaps the MDR-1R recommended when people are asking what headphones they should buy.

Nuuuuuuuuuu! I think it's probably because Grado's house sound are not for you :) I personally love them ^_^

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #38 of 589
Agreed, but I imo "underrated" is not the appropriate term since the DT 250 are rather unknown, unheralded and not widely available (and their old school design doesn't help them of course, but that's another story...).
In fact, a lot of the so-called underrated phones are not very common, not in every shop and thus unrecognized. In a lot of cases, it is that simple.
Those HPs are just "hidden beauties"...

Hd25 doesn't look charming either but has already gained much popularity for its sound and portability, although it was meant for the same professional purpose as dt250 and many reviews ABing those two always come to the conclusion dt250 is superior .
Maybe just that beyerdynamic is too famous or infamous for the recessed mids or not fun sounding or neutral represented by dt770/880/990, overshadows the beauty of dt150/dt250 line.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #39 of 589
Overrated: LCD2

Some people just ride the hype train without knowing what they're talking about :grin:

Underrated: DT770

Good thing I auditioned this in a shop without consulting online know it alls. If I did, I would have avoided and not discover this at all.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #40 of 589
Overrated: LCD2

Some people just ride the hype train without knowing what they're talking about :grin:

Underrated: DT770

Good thing I auditioned this in a shop without consulting online know it alls. If I did, I would have avoided and not discover this at all.

The 770 is especially good seeing as it can be had under $150 at times. Damn good value IMO.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #43 of 589
Overrated: Grado SR80i (ducks for cover)
Underrated: Denon D600 (Comfortable, easy to power, and a pleasant frequency curve with nice detail. They give the K550 a run for the money IMO.)

Totally agree. The Denon D600 is one of my favorite headphones that doesn't get much love here at head-fi.org. 

Some other underrated headphones:

Ultrasone Pro 750 (everyone loves the Pro 900, yet most agree the Pro 750 has the more balanced sound.) I have the 750 and really enjoy them.

Shure SRH-940/SRH-1840 - these got a lot of attention 18 months/2 years ago and then dropped off the radar. Two outstanding headphones - balanced, great sounding, but basically ignored.

Bose AE-2 - Super light weight, probably one of the most comfortable headphones available, with a very pleasant sound un-amped with MP3 players and smartphones. Seems some folks have a visceral negative opinion of anything labeled Bose, but these are nice headphones.

And last (ducks for cover from the stone throwing):

Sony MDR X-10 - Got these as a Christmas present last year. Super comfortable for an on-ear design, punchy bass with surprisingly good mid-range and treble for a bass tuned set of headphones. Yes, you see these everywhere in Target, WalMart, and Best Buy mixed in with the Beats, Sol Republics, Soul and other celebrity headphones. But they're not the joke folks make them out to be. A very fun set of cans to use straight with your iPod that sound really good, particularly with Pop, Rock and dance tracks.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #45 of 589
Totally agree. The Denon D600 is one of my favorite headphones that doesn't get much love here at head-fi.org. 

Some other underrated headphones:

Ultrasone Pro 750 (everyone loves the Pro 900, yet most agree the Pro 750 has the more balanced sound.) I have the 750 and really enjoy them.

Shure SRH-940/SRH-1840 - these got a lot of attention 18 months/2 years ago and then dropped off the radar. Two outstanding headphones - balanced, great sounding, but basically ignored.

Bose AE-2 - Super light weight, probably one of the most comfortable headphones available, with a very pleasant sound un-amped with MP3 players and smartphones. Seems some folks have a visceral negative opinion of anything labeled Bose, but these are nice headphones.

And last (ducks for cover from the stone throwing):

Sony MDR X-10 - Got these as a Christmas present last year. Super comfortable for an on-ear design, punchy bass with surprisingly good mid-range and treble for a bass tuned set of headphones. Yes, you see these everywhere in Target, WalMart, and Best Buy mixed in with the Beats, Sol Republics, Soul and other celebrity headphones. But they're not the joke folks make them out to be. A very fun set of cans to use straight with your iPod that sound really good, particularly with Pop, Rock and dance tracks.

The srh 940 is closed and barely has any bass (or so I've heard). The srh1840 is $700 and barely has bass (or so I've heard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back