Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 589
  Overrated; LCD2 - I think its a great headphone and its one of my faves, but it is very limited with genre. When it first came out peeps raved and raved about it being the best thing since sliced bread. It has a very much love or hate sound. 

Underrated; HD600 - One of the oldest headphones on head-fi and probably the best value for money. Of all the so called advancement in technology over the last twenty years it still stands its own as a brilliant and very versatile headphone. It also has the most natural tonality that I've heard below the HD800.  

I wouldn't say that the HD600 are underrated. They still get plenty of love and are being recommended 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 589
  Overrated; LCD2 - I think its a great headphone and its one of my faves, but it is very limited with genre. When it first came out peeps raved and raved about it being the best thing since sliced bread. It has a very much love or hate sound. 

Underrated; HD600 - One of the oldest headphones on head-fi and probably the best value for money. Of all the so called advancement in technology over the last twenty years it still stands its own as a brilliant and very versatile headphone. It also has the most natural tonality that I've heard below the HD800.  

I must definitely agree with this, man...

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 589
Overated: gotta agree , 650's are pretty overrated. there alot of great phones in that price range. To be honest though , I've never been a fan of seinheisers , so i may be biased slightly...., also i hate beats .... just needed to get that out .
deadhorse.gif

underated:  a couple off the top of my head: k701's , DT770's , HE-400's.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 589
My picks have been mentioned but I'll add my thoughts anyway.
Overrated: M50 hands down. At their Retail point $150 they are outclassed by a few lower models. They are decent at $100.
They became over rated by the Beats Crowd. Look at the old reviews and most people said average sound etc. But the Beat guys found out they were better, then they became the best thing ever. No they just sound better then Beats. Entry level headphones.
Bad comfort, pesky highs, sucked out Mids. No soundstage...Build is great tho.

I would add the 650 as well, BUT it's just personally I don't like them. I think they are just a tad overpriced..$350-400 (New) should be right.

Underrated. Again 240s, A great headphone. And you can get it CHEAP when on sale. As low as $50 sometimes. 271 as well, another great set. Both of these had fans a few years ago, but the headphone crowd has changed. Now it's BASS BASS BASS. if it has no Bass no one even gives top end (Cheap) a try.

HD428, yep @$24 it's hard to beat. HD439, another fantastic set, Again it doesn't have that booming BASS, so it's overlooked.
Great comfort, removable cables etc...$100 is about right on the price. At it's point it fits in nicely. Better sounding then the M50 IMO, Different sound but more my taste.

I'll agree on the DT770 as well. There are many fans as these have been around forever. Comfort, Build,Soundstage for a closed can (Even better then most open phones) And price. If you shop around you can get them shipped for $150. You side by side these with the M50 and you see just how bad the M50 sounds. I'll say tho, that different pairs don't sound the same. I believe production runs have changed. I had a set about 5 or 6 years ago and they sound nothing like the set I just bought.
The old set had MASSIVE bass, A sucked out Mid (Hollow sounding), and very harsh treble. The new set is so different sounding.
The same hard hitting Bass, but the Mids are in Balance, & and the highs are crisp and smooth (Almost Seen like). I'd almost call them Balance sounding. Not quite but almost. I think you really have to go into the mid 300-400 range to find a true upgrade.
A fantastic set of headphones. You know the post's if you could only have one headphone? The DT770 is it for me. I could live with it and be VERY happy.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 589
  Again I ask, what amp? You are definitely entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but they are very amp dependent.

Ah, apologies for missing your question earlier. 

I tried it on my NFB-10SE and also on a Project Sunrise II. Like I said, they're not a bad pair of headphones by any means but they just didn't live up to what people claim they are.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 589
I don't have a candidate for underrated, as all of the headphones I have tried have mostly met my expectations and have delivered as expected. Is kind of hard to call the HD-800 underrated.

Overrated though, goes to the LCD-2. I rented both it and the HE-500 from the Cable Company. HE-500 totally outperformed it in just about every possible way. More importantly, I couldn't wear the LCD-2 for more than 15 minutes without serious discomfort. My jaw was sore by the time the audition was over. Between the clamp and the oversized pads, I just can't look at Audeze's offerings seriously anymore after that.

Second place goes to Sennheiser Momentum. Muddy, messy, hard to fit on the ear and overpriced. I ended up burning them in, then returning them after a couple listening sessions.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 589
Underrated: beyerdynamic dt250

Agreed, but I imo "underrated" is not the appropriate term since the DT 250 are rather unknown, unheralded and not widely available (and their old school design doesn't help them of course, but that's another story...).
In fact, a lot of the so-called underrated phones are not very common, not in every shop and thus unrecognized. In a lot of cases, it is that simple.
Those HPs are just "hidden beauties"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back