Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #106 of 589
So the SR60i has more bass than the SR80i?:confused_face_2:

Slightly deeper as well; http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=353&graphID[]=393&scale=30

It's not about the bass quantity, I don't like headphone with huge amount of bass but the Grado's tight bass impressed me :D

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #107 of 589
I wish i could enjoy bass heavy music with the Grados.
frown.gif
 My MA900 does the job very well though.
biggrin.gif

Anyway:

Overrated: Depends on the person, gear, too many variables, but the HD598 is overrated.  Also, and this is just me, I think the ATH ES9A is verry overrated.

Underrated: No headphones are underrated ime.  Some may not get as much attention, but they don't get bad reviews.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #108 of 589
I wish i could enjoy bass heavy music with the Grados.:frowning2:  My MA900 does the job very well though.:D

Anyway:

Overrated: Depends on the person, gear, too many variables, but the HD598 is overrated.  Also, and this is just me, I think the ATH ES9A is verry overrated.

Underrated: No headphones are underrated ime.  Some may not get as much attention, but they don't get bad reviews.

I nearly went for the ma900 the other time, long ago but it was this year but. I already have a Sony IEM xD

I haven't heard the K612 Pro nor are there any review around other than Brooko's but according to him he will only post it this weekend... Does that count as underrated :p

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #111 of 589
Originally Posted by Trunks159 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the SR60i has more bass than the SR80i?
confused_face_2.gif

Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly deeper as well; http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=353&graphID[]=393&scale=30

It's not about the bass quantity, I don't like headphone with huge amount of bass but the Grado's tight bass impressed me
biggrin.gif

Too funny...I guess those graphs explain what I heard when I bought my SR60s instead of the 125s or 80s.  They really are a great value.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #112 of 589
Very Very underrated at least from what I've seen at current: Hifiman HE-4 off speaker taps and the Phillips X1 (I think)

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #113 of 589
Thanks, I agree with the lifelike sound of Sennheiser.  For me it even comes through in the 558 compared to my Beyers.  The unknown for me is the Q701 which, from the reviews, sounds like it's a K with a little more bass...which is good, but if a can gets too analytical it bores me.  As an example, I bought RE-Zero IEM and am impressed with their detailing but they don't get much ear time.

FWIW, I actually like the 558s better than the 598s and that's partially why I asked the first question...from what you're saying, though, the 600 is in a different league.
Haven't thought about the HE300s.  Got a chance to listen to the 400s and 500s recently -- liking the 500s better.  That shop has 300s...so I'll have to listen to them next time we're in Michigan.

Thanks...sounds like I need to find a shop that carries these.

Cool , make sure the he300s you are auditioning at the shop are the latest revision , in short they differ from the older ones in two ways , construction with the latest is full metal and there have been transient changes to the drivers done as well , the older ones were confused sounding with more present bass also the soundstage was said to be pretty horrendous , the newer ones are more balanced with the traditional HiFiMAN trebles and much improved soundstage :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #114 of 589
Too funny...I guess those graphs explain what I heard when I bought my SR60s instead of the 125s or 80s.  They really are a great value.

Indeed they are! I like it over a lot of headphone at $200 in terms of SQ. Comfort does requires some mod to make it feel more comfortable thought..

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #116 of 589
Overrated - I must say (many will dissagree with me as it seems) beyerdynamics is really overrated, maybe not so expensive, but I see so many say good things about it but I really can't listen to them. They feel so flat for me compared with my q701 and hd650. I don't think I will ever enjoy a beyerdynamics phone.

Underrated - Well I would say akg q701. I got both hd650 and q701 and the akg is probably just as good as the hd650 :) They shine at a bit different stuff but still amazing phones for the price. Also listened to many Ultrasones and even the expensive ones can't even compete with the q701 imo.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #117 of 589
Overrated: Audio-Technica ATH-M50(harsh and didn't sound very good), Beyerdynamic DT 880(wasn't impressed with them, sounded inferior to the DT 990 in basically every way to me, noticeably harsher sounding in the treble than the DT 990), and Sennheiser Momentum(sounded pretty good but wasn't that good, it's overly praised and too expensive)

Underrated: AKG K240 Studio/MKII, Beyerdynamic DT 990, and Sony MDR-MA900

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #118 of 589
Overrated: Audio-Technica ATH-M50(harsh and didn't sound very good), Beyerdynamic DT 880(wasn't impressed with them, sounded inferior to the DT 990 in basically every way to me, noticeably harsher sounding in the treble than the DT 990), and Sennheiser Momentum(sounded pretty good but wasn't that good, it's overly praised and too expensive)

Underrated: AKG K240 Studio/MKII, Beyerdynamic DT 990, and Sony MDR-MA900

The Momentum to me are definitely not overated! Indeed they are overpriced but it is to me, not overated. They are excellent for portable use except for it's non-foldable design. Of corse they don't sound as good as a lot of headphones at the same price but those headphones aren't as portable as Momntum and doesn't look as good as :wink:

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #119 of 589
Overrated: hd580

Say what? 
blink.gif

My list:

Over-rated: Definitely the M50, AD700's and anything AKG K/Q70X, just awful sounding headphones. Possibly the HE-500 and LCD2's as well.

Under-rated: This is a hard one, possibly anything vintage Stax (excluding the electrets), people need to be exposed to these more.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #120 of 589
The Momentum to me are definitely not overated! Indeed they are overpriced but it is to me, not overated. They are excellent for portable use except for it's non-foldable design. Of corse they don't sound as good as a lot of headphones at the same price but those headphones aren't as portable as Momntum and doesn't look as good as
wink.gif

I find them a bit too big for portable use and their comfort is meh. The best thing they have going for them considering their price is their looks and build. I think the Momentum On-ear is the better choice out of the two, especially for portable use. Of the two, it's the one I would go for not only because it's much cheaper, but because it's smaller form factor and is much more comfortable while sounding comparable if a bit different in terms of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back