Most overrated IEM?
Mar 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #91 of 120
So far the Klipsch S4 is in the lead, with the IE8 and the RE0 tied for runner-up.
popcorn.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #92 of 120
After having the RE0 for a while, I don't think bass is its biggest weakness. I knew what I was buying and I wasn't disappointed there. IMO what makes them so analytical/boring is the relatively weak dynamics. On my Grados, electric guitars come in crunchy and hard. By comparison on the RE0s, meh. So they're not that involving.

On the other hand, you can't call them over-rated for the price. They were a damn good introduction into hi-fi for me. You can't not feel something towards them after hearing that beautiful treble.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldYrPistlStr8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop confusing me, guys. I'm scared to go for the RE0's now
frown.gif

quite simple really, if you don't care about bass, then they are great, however if you want to hear the bass...

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A somewhat bad IEM with too much praise = over-rated.

Good IEM with too little praise = under-rated.

I get it now.

fixed it for you

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #96 of 120
ie7, which the bass is overpowered and sounds overpriced.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #98 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by doo_wop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm gonna go ahead of time and say monster turbine pro (gold, copper, ...)

Based on what? Have you heard them yourself and formed some first impressions (if so, what are your thoughts on them and why you think they're overrated), or are you just saying that because of the Monster moniker?

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #99 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quite simple really, if you don't care about bass, then they are great, however if you want to hear the bass...

Sorry, but this is BS. RE0 has very good bass. It has better bass than most IEMs I've heard actually and many full sized cans as well. Sure, it lacks some impact and depth and definition is not quite as good as on some $300 top-tier universals, but for a mid-level IEM, the bass quality is more than adequate and for a $79 IEM, the bass quality is outstanding.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #100 of 120
Agree with pianist. It's an easy fix though:

Quote:

quite simple really, if you don't care about bass, then they are great, however if you want to feel the bass...

There, fixed.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #101 of 120
I think the problem is the competition at under $100 iem's. A lot of iem's at that price range that I have experienced typically do not focus on the type of sound signature that the RE0 provides. There may be some but that is not the majority. A lot of them focus more on the bass impact part of sound more than neutrality. That was however a while ago that I've had an under $100 MSRP iem but I don't think that has changed much. You may not be able to feel the bass compared to other iem's but it is there. The bass quality is there but the impact will not be.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #102 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on what? Have you heard them yourself and formed some first impressions (if so, what are your thoughts on them and why you think they're overrated), or are you just saying that because of the Monster moniker?

why so nervous? you've just ordered them?

clearly you didn't understand my post...

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #104 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but this is BS. RE0 has very good bass. It has better bass than most IEMs I've heard actually and many full sized cans as well. Sure, it lacks some impact and depth and definition is not quite as good as on some $300 top-tier universals, but for a mid-level IEM, the bass quality is more than adequate and for a $79 IEM, the bass quality is outstanding.

didn't say it was poor quality, I said it was un-naturally low in quantity, at least that is what I meant to say :p

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #105 of 120
I agree with Gage. Here's my fix:

Quote:

quite simple really, if you don't care about bass, then they are great, however if you want to hear reasonably lifelike bass...

Speaking of which, at least the ones I've heard didn't even have lifelike treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back