Most overrated IEM?
Mar 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 120
Er4P/S - anemic bass, recessed mids, non-existent soundstage, and generally boring all around. But I love it to death.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 120
My experience is limited, but I'll vote for the Westone 3. Many virtues, all made vices by the total, brutal lack of soundstage.

I wish I could bash something trendier.
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 120
Haha in some ways I want to say the RE0 because I always stumble those thread regarding the RE0 and bass. New buyers contemplate if they want the RE0 because they like what it has to offer besides the bass. So, when they end up buying it they're disappointed because the RE0 don't have the bass they want. Thought I don't know if I would call them overrated. lol more like misguided trap waiting to happen.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8. The bass kind of overpowers everything else. Soundstage is great and all, but I just can't sit for more than an hour listening to the IE8s.

You beat me to it.

Veiled and recessed mids, overpowering bass, lack of isolation ... and to kick an IEM while it's down, I don't rate the "soundstage" all that much either. Yeah, it's wider than other IEMs I've owned but it's still just going on inside my head. It sounds a little bit wider, but personally I don't like that so much. Surely that's just headstage rather than soundstage?

Is it just me or has IEM "soundstage" become the new Head-Fi buzz-word? I've been visiting this forum for years but it's only very recently I've noticed posters mentioning soundstage all the time.

I had the UM3x one day and it was a great neutral IEM, the next day all of a sudden I find out it's crap because it's got no soundstage.
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8. The bass kind of overpowers everything else. Soundstage is great and all, but I just can't sit for more than an hour listening to the IE8s.

Either way, it's not overrated, people hate on it every day

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 120
UE TF10 for me. Had very nice bass and good highs, but the mids were almost non-existent to me, and vocals were horrible. I was highly disappointed...

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 120
What does over-rated mean?

You mean it costs more than it should?

Based on what? Your opinion of what a good IEM should sound like?

I don't get threads like this....

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 120
the question indeed is simple but we all have different opinions which makes it hard to have an iem that in reality is overrated. my perfect and best iem is another one's overrated and especially here just about every iem (i'm keeping it universal for my thoughts) has a group of people who hate it and then another group that loves it :p

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 120
I probably would have phrased the question a little differently...perhaps a more "to the point" question might be;

"Which IEM were you most disappointed with vis a vis the general positive response of others here on head-fi"

This way it would imply you have an opinion based on personal experience with the IEM...

but that's just my 2 cents.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 120
I think the IE8 could be considered overrated, since to my notice it was the last IEM, previous to the e-Q7, to receive such a broad supportive consensus. But abuse of it, here, now, is disappointingly true to the pattern of the forum, in which the last king must be sacrificed to make room for the next. This makes me want to shelter the poor, shivering IE8 in my arms, and protect it from the savages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back