Most overrated IEM?
Mar 13, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #106 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by doo_wop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why so nervous? you've just ordered them?

clearly you didn't understand my post...

Nervous? No, just curious as to why you make a blanket claim that the Monster Turbines are all overrated, without providing any reasoning behind it. Correct me if I'm mistaken in interpreting your post, however.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #107 of 120
I would have to say out of all the IEM's I have tried I have been the most hyped about and unsatisfied with the IE8. This may have been my own over enthusiasm though and over confidence the sound stage would overcome other areas I had read that had me concerned (overly warm, midbass hump). But for what ever reason they have been good and bad for me. Note I still I own them so they are not all bad but I guess maybe it's just that they seem to only work really well with specific genre's.

I echo rbui's question to doo_wop.

Have you heard the MTP Gold and Copper? If so please state why they are over rated versus just saying they are over rated. I have a pair of MTP Gold in my ears right now and they are every bit as good if not better than the other high end IEM's I have owned (IE8 and TF10). If anything they have had to overcome the reputation of their manufacturer Monster. They are the first high end IEM I own that has no serious deficiency along with some exceptional qualities (excellent treble extension, solid detailed mids that are just forward enough to be intimate without being in my face, huge bass that is only present when required, nice sound stage that is not huge but very present and accurate with depth as well as width, and solid instrument seperation). They are the only high end IEM I have that I like completely flat on my Ipod Touch, all others needed to be EQ'd to overcome issues with their sound.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #108 of 120
I'm glad the Pro series improved on the original Turbines that were almost able to compete here. I thought the Pro series might have been a letdown upon hearing about their announcement, thankfully I am wrong.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #109 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad the Pro series improved on the original Turbines that were almost able to compete here. I thought the Pro series might have been a letdown upon hearing about their announcement, thankfully I am wrong.

I agree with you wholeheartedly ethan961, I owned the original MTP and loved it as my first higher end IEM, but ultimately moved on as the areas it was weak in were simply to much for me. The MTP series on the other hand addressed every issue the MTB had and then some. They now only have to overcome the Monster reputation and for many the bling factor (personally I don't have a problem wearing my Gold's in public but they definitely draw attention LOL).

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #110 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didn't say it was poor quality, I said it was un-naturally low in quantity, at least that is what I meant to say :p

rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Gage.
...at least the ones I've heard didn't even have lifelike treble.

Then your RE0 is either defoamed or defective. Did you try amping it? Also, make sure that you are getting a good seal. Experiment with different tips.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #111 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then your RE0 is either defoamed or defective. Did you try amping it? Also, make sure that you are getting a good seal. Experiment with different tips.

Pianist, no offense, but you've obviously read my comparison 'cause you posted in that thread. I've been using the same tips (UE single flange) on all of these phones, they are my favorite tips and they give me a perfect seal. Like I said, I played straight from my Cowon i9 and cross-checked with the Fuze.

All I can say is their rendering of violin with my test recording (Hilary Hahn: Mendelssohn Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in E Minor), especially on the highest notes, made me cringe. Now, this is one of my favorite classical pieces and hearing it live or with good phones usually makes me melt away.

I honestly couldn't believe my ears after all that praise I've read for the RE0, I've already PMd the owner (these are borrowed) and I really hope they turn out to be defective or modded. But TBO I have my doubts, 'cause AFAIK these are the phones dfkt did his ABI-review with.

BTW I repeated the audition with the Voyager amp today and they didn't sound much different, the highest notes squeaky and reminiscent of chalk on a blackboard. I gave up after a 10 minutes, fatigued.
redface.gif

Bottom line, if they are meant to sound like I heard them, then they are overrated IMO, even for $79.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #112 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is ridiculous, just because somebody doesnt hear same magic in RE0 as you do, doesnt mean they are doing something wrong.

For me, RE0 have many faults to be top tier in my view.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #113 of 120
The SE530. Rich mid range but coarse to say the least, rolled off treble, loud but shallow bass that sounds like fart.

May 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #114 of 120
Owning my IE8s for a couple of months I now love them. But, I had to alter many things, (well not really) things like my EQ on my Cowon S9 which completely changed the sound of these bad boys. At first, I really didn't like the sound and felt as if I wasted my money, but after the said "burn-in" period and these EQ settings they sound terrific. No more overbearing bass and veiled mids due to that bass, they are very balanced and clear, the way I like it.

May 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #115 of 120

Quote:
Surely that's just headstage rather than soundstage?

Yes it is, and don't call me Shirley

(sorry, couldn't resist 
etysmile.gif
)

May 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #116 of 120
Rumor goes the IE8s need 800hr+ of burn-in/usage before settling down and sounding the most natural... but I think that's just the drivers going out after such long usage. But I digress...
Quote:
Owning my IE8s for a couple of months I now love them. But, I had to alter many things, (well not really) things like my EQ on my Cowon S9 which completely changed the sound of these bad boys. At first, I really didn't like the sound and felt as if I wasted my money, but after the said "burn-in" period and these EQ settings they sound terrific. No more overbearing bass and veiled mids due to that bass, they are very balanced and clear, the way I like it.

May 5, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #117 of 120
Drivers last for a very long time, I doub that'd be the case. Wires go out way fast than the drivers ever would. I suggest that it's simply because it's a dynamic based driver, rather than an armature based driver. Why would sound improve if the drivers are going out? Who knows, but I'm satisfied, yet I understand why these may be the most overrated. Are there any other good high-end IEMS that have replacable cables? Not really looking toward the UM3X, but I'm not sure. That's one of the main reasons I bought the IE8s

May 5, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #119 of 120
No one is an informed buyer when it comes to customs. All we can rely on is review, then take the leap of faith. Universal demo versions of customs don't do justice to the actual customs.

May 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #120 of 120

Quote:
No one is an informed buyer when it comes to customs. All we can rely on is review, then take the leap of faith. Universal demo versions of customs don't do justice to the actual customs.

Agreed... and additionally, I think hype and overconfidence in a product is a really bad thing in general. A technically good IEM doesn't mean that it is an IEM that will automatically adjust to what your brain is used to perceiving. In fact, believing that the IEM will blow your minds out before hearing it will usually cause an IEM to seem 'underwhelming'.

Generally, I just try to keep an open mind when I am trying out products despite of reviews. In fact, I am almost always a critic -- trying to find a flaw no matter how much I actually like the demo. So, when I buy them (after letting their sound signature sink in), I end up pretty satisfied one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back