Most overrated IEM?
Mar 11, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #76 of 120
I would be surprised if the ES3X is not technically superior to the RE0. After all this hobby is about enjoyment and not technical superiority or none of us with the budget to do so would have so many iems or even the lower end ones.

However you did save yourself lots of money if you like the RE0 over the ES3X and saving money esp here is always a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #77 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha in some ways I want to say the RE0 because I always stumble those thread regarding the RE0 and bass. New buyers contemplate if they want the RE0 because they like what it has to offer besides the bass. So, when they end up buying it they're disappointed because the RE0 don't have the bass they want. Thought I don't know if I would call them overrated. lol more like misguided trap waiting to happen.

I would be inclined to agree. At least that's what made buy a FX500 soon thereafter
wink.gif
. In fairness, for what they do well, they are very good value at 79$. It's just not bass ;D

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #78 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be surprised if the ES3X is not technically superior to the RE0. After all this hobby is about enjoyment and not technical superiority or none of us with the budget to do so would have so many iems or even the lower end ones.

However you did save yourself lots of money if you like the RE0 over the ES3X and saving money esp here is always a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, well, right now I am looking for an IEM that can successfully combine great technical ability with great musicality. My Ortofon e-Q7 comes pretty close to doing that, but it still sounds a bit too dry and a bit coarse in the treble, lacking delicacy. I am afraid JH13/16 may be the only way to go. Or one of those Shure/UE 6 driver mutants by Unique Melody.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #79 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be inclined to agree. At least that's what made buy a FX500 soon thereafter
wink.gif
. In fairness, for what they do well, they are very good value at 79$. It's just not bass ;D

You gotta be more specific. RE0 does lack some depth and weight, but it probably has the most detailed low end I've heard in an IEM so far.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #81 of 120
I really only have the FX500 to compare with at the moment, but I feel that one goes down a lot further. And I don't have to crank up volume nearly as high to actually be able to hear the lower notes. With the RE0 there are sort of there, but only just about. Only when I crank up the volume, they really appear. The frequency response of the RE0 is definitely flatter which for some songs is really very nice, but overall I was very underwhelmed by it. The cable could also use some work.

Actually, let's scratch the RE0 from here, the worst buy I ever made was the RE2 (and that was hyped up to the sky for a loooong time). No bass, worst cable in history.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #82 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, well, right now I am looking for an IEM that can successfully combine great technical ability with great musicality. My Ortofon e-Q7 comes pretty close to doing that, but it still sounds a bit too dry and a bit coarse in the treble, lacking delicacy. I am afraid JH13/16 may be the only way to go. Or one of those Shure/UE 6 driver mutants by Unique Melody.

heh..i was thinking about going that way with the UE when I first got them but changed my mind. The CK10 does come pretty close for me as the right one for me. I'm hoping the Ortofon does it for me. I actually should have stayed away from this place until it came in the mail. It would have made me more patient waiting for them.

I will agree that RE0 bass is there but it does not give you the impact that a lot of people want. The cable also wasn't that great for me. It seemed a bit delicate but it did survive my treatment so it passed but it seemed delicate which is nothing like the cable on my current iem.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #83 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also for me is re0 slightly overrated, they are nice middle class of iems, same as phonak audeo, etymotic er4, q- jays and sennheiser ie7. I simply don't understand reviews, where somebody put them on top tier level.

IMO... The RE0 are NOT overrated. At their price point, they provide amazing performance. They were, or possible still are the FOTM, but for good reason. Its hard to find IEMs that sound as good as the RE0 for below $200 USD.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #84 of 120
Actually thinking about this more this has become more of a disappointed thread than overrated :p I think I should add TF10 to that list for me. They were good and worth the price I purchased for them but didn't do it for me really. It was 'meh'. It's alright but not great and didn't wow me after I got used to their sound.

@Pianist, so would you say the ortofon mid+lows with the RE0 treble would do it for you? :p I'm hoping I don't have to get to that point(being customs that is) but I imagine in 6 months or so the only true upgrade for me would be something along those lines unless I am able to stay satisfied with what I have..

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually thinking about this more this has become more of a disappointed thread than overrated :p I think I should add TF10 to that list for me. They were good and worth the price I purchased for them but didn't do it for me really. It was 'meh'. It's alright but not great and didn't wow me after I got used to their sound.

@Pianist, so would you say the ortofon mid+lows with the RE0 treble would do it for you? :p I'm hoping I don't have to get to that point(being customs that is) but I imagine in 6 months or so the only true upgrade for me would be something along those lines unless I am able to stay satisfied with what I have..

e-Q7 lows + SE530 mids + RE0 treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Actually I really liked the bass on SE530 - it had great impact and detial, but it wasn't as controlled as the e-Q7 bass, so I would say: e-Q7 low end authority + SE530 low end detial and punch + SE530 mids + RE0 treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #86 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e-Q7 lows + SE530 mids + RE0 treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Actually I really liked the bass on SE530 - it had great impact and detial, but it wasn't as controlled as the e-Q7 bass, so I would say: e-Q7 low end authority + SE530 low end detial and punch + SE530 mids + RE0 treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

So effectively you're looking for an e-53EO
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #88 of 120
Actually the 6 driver remold of SE530 by Unique Melody may be exactly what I am looking for. According to MaoDi, it has even faster mids than SE530 and much better bass and much better treble extension. Too bad I don't have the money right now and won't have anytime soon.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #90 of 120
My vote goes to the RE0. It's not that they're bad. They're quite good. They're also very affordable and one of the better buys around that price point. However, I feel they get touted WAY too much for their actual capability. It's not overrated from a price vs. performance standpoint. But it is overrated from the word of mouth standpoint, suggested way too much for just about everything.

The NE-7M gets a half vote. I can see why it's liked, but it's an earphone that pretty much requires EQing to actually shine. Even then it rolls off a bit early on both ends of the frequency spectrum which is a shame. The mediocre build quality doesn't help either.

I've largely liked everything else I've used and consider the price vs. performance ok and general word of mouth on this forum pretty proper for the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back